IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

1 minute ago, Desso said:

Do you know some thing we don't?

Not necessarily. We want Marriott and have done since the start of the summer, he's back from his holiday next week so I expect it to hot up. Us or Derby, depends on what happens with Vydra and when though.

6 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Not necessarily. We want Marriott and have done since the start of the summer, he's back from his holiday next week so I expect it to hot up. Us or Derby, depends on what happens with Vydra and when though.

Peterborough back in training today , I’m sure Marriott hasn’t got an extra week off !

1 hour ago, BessexRED said:

They're not far off with this in fairness.

Doesn't mean they know anything. We've been linked with him for ages. Our strikers on his way, local paper guesses the striker we've been most heavily linked with is coming in.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Expensive ‘gamble’ and about 2 years  too late and will pay 5 or 6 million more than we needed

Ahhhhhhh well

And yet on another thread you object to bringing in Willis and Eisa on the grounds of them not being yet at the standard of those who they would replace... 

It’s either buy ‘ready to go’ at higher prices or buy those who need a little polishing (and probably more time) for less. You seem to object to both approaches. 

23 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

For Marriott, the interesting thing for me was the good luck posts with the BCFC hashtags.

Why put that at all if it has no relevance? Us or Brum, decided before his holiday, I think!

This.

To have tweets from old Ipswich mate (I think Tyronne Mings) and the current Ipswich phyiso saying good luck with new move and putting #bcfc is quite a big statement. City would have known Reid was probably going and sorted a quick deal before others got involved. I expect him to be our big striker signing, whether it be 2years later and potentially 5mil more than it could have been......

33 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And yet on another thread you object to bringing in Willis and Eisa on the grounds of them not being yet at the standard of those who they would replace... 

It’s either buy ‘ready to go’ at higher prices or buy those who need a little polishing (and probably more time) for less. You seem to object to both approaches. 

Some people will just object to everything that happens. Putting Reid up front was a gamble, Kodja was a gamble, Dhiedhou was a gamble.......

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

Some people will just object to everything that happens. Putting Reid up front was a gamble, Kodja was a gamble, Dhiedhou was a gamble.......

You (and a few other serial apologists) don’t get it do you

:facepalm:

Try and work out why are likely to be paying 5/6m for someone who was gettable for a couple of hundred thousand 2 yrs ago when he showed early signs as a finisher even when he scored against US

We instead signed Hinds and Bakinson from the same Club

None too deep in your knowledge I guess

Bit like Watching and dawdling on Ollie Watkins whilst we blow millions on Engvall Taylor-Moore and Eliasson 

Lets see iF we sign Elsa whether we get him for that a couple of hundred grand  and if he’s he gets near the required level

30 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Then what happened? Heads turned by other clubs, hmmmm

22 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Or the deal was waiting on selling Reid?

We'll see soon.

He went on holiday. No more info after that but I assumed after reading the Tweets with #bcfc in them, it was only a matter of time...

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Try and work out why are likely to be paying 5/6m for someone who was gettable for a couple of hundred thousand 2 yrs ago when he showed early signs as a finisher even when he scored against US

Bit like Watching and dawdling on Ollie Watkins whilst we blow millions on Engvall Taylor-Moore and Eliasson 

Lets see iF we sign Elsa whether we get him for that a couple of hundred grand  and if he’s he gets near the required level

Whilst I agree the fee is daft you just never know how these things will work out. We could have signed Marriott from Luton and he doesn’t fit in with us and goes on loan to Bury. 

I agree though. We should be looking much harder for better bargains in the lower leagues. Even if we sign Marriott I would hope we go for Eisa too. The biggest problem with that though is we don’t know who is signing who. Is LJ a fan or is it MA? Whoever we sign for whatever fee I just hope the get a run of games to either make it or not. 

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think you entirely right historically. Any number of players Harry has recommended on here over the years could be added to the list, some under previous regimes.

I can't recall who from the club recently said we need to be identifying such players earlier. SL possibly?

So the problem has at least been identified but I'm still not sure we have the right set up to solve it in the absence of a DoF or similar. Not a job for the head coach, whoever it is, or the chief scout. Somebody - not the CEO - needs to be in charge of the process.

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bob, I had to watch Marriot a few times during his first & second spell at Woking on loan from Ipswich. Liked what saw (reminded me of a youngTony Thorpe), got a second opinion from @Harry but BCFC didn’t take it any further. Kills me to see us blow a reported 5/6 million on him now when we could of got him for peanuts then stuck him in the U23’s or loaned him out till deemed ready for Championship football .

Mad Mick bombed him from Ipswich after he got lapped on a run in pre season BTW, true story. 

Ollie is the one that hurts the most though.  We pushed so hard for him even before he made his Exeter debut & carried on pushing his name in  & LJ even liked him but no idea why we didn’t make a move. Shame cos Ollie would of jumped at the chance to come here, top lad & will be a top player. 

6 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

Bob, I had to watch Marriot a few times during his first & second spell at Woking on loan from Ipswich. Liked what saw (reminded me of a youngTony Thorpe), got a second opinion from @Harry but BCFC didn’t take it any further. Kills me to see us blow a reported 5/6 million on him now when we could of got him for peanuts then stuck him in the U23’s or loaned him out till deemed ready for Championship football .

Mad Mick bombed him from Ipswich after he got lapped on a run in pre season BTW, true story. 

Ollie is the one that hurts the most though.  We pushed so hard for him even before he made his Exeter debut & carried on pushing his name in  & LJ even liked him but no idea why we didn’t make a move. Shame cos Ollie would of jumped at the chance to come here, top lad & will be a top player. 

Interesting, thanks.

LJ liked him but we didn't make a move? I wonder what that might tell us about who has the power over recruitment. :shifty:

10 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

First time I saw footage of him he shouted FINISHER RedCherry

Either we have analysts and others who didn’t recognise it or i anticipate we didn’t like some signs as you’ve highlighted above 

Having said that if we’d signed him we’d have demoralised him by sending him out to Bury or somewhere  as @JoeAman08 semi joked above 

But to be spending the anticipated sums on a player who was literally under our nose two years or so ago and we could have invested in for relative peanuts doesn’t seem a very efficient model to me 

And as much as he’s caught my eye he’s still unproven at the next level up

Havnt a clue whether he will make the step up tbh but I hope he does because at least we will secure or make on our investment at some point 

Reminded me of Adam La Fondre

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Expensive ‘gamble’ and about 2 years  too late and will pay 5 or 6 million more than we needed

Ahhhhhhh well

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

47 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I am no apologist at all. You have said we are overpaying 2 years later (which seems to be because now he has became a decent player and was peanuts back then). But now there are players apparently on our radar that are essentially going to cost peanuts you say they they are not yet at the standard who they would replace. You cannot have it both ways surely.

Who knew that Engvall wouldn't work out, who knew Kodja would become the player he would? Dhiedhou has done superb for his fee?

It is too easy in hindsight saying we should have bought "player A" back then.

In my opinion.

5 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Who knew that Engvall wouldn't work out, who knew Kodja would become the player he would? Dhiedhou has done superb for his fee?

It is too easy in hindsight saying we should have bought "player A" back then.

Too true. Every transfer has an element of risk. When Man U signed Di Maria for 60 odd million did they expect him to play like Stevie Wonder ? Nope. Did Liverpool pay 30 odd for Salah expecting him to be worth 5/6 times that in one season ? Nope

At our level that risk level is magnified quite a lot. 

7 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Too true. Every transfer has an element of risk. When Man U signed Di Maria for 60 odd million did they expect him to play like Stevie Wonder ? Nope. Did Liverpool pay 30 odd for Salah expecting him to be worth 5/6 times that in one season ? Nope

At our level that risk level is magnified quite a lot. 

There are others you could add to the United list. Veron stands out: a world class player who didn't work out.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You may well be right, but can you at least try to resist biting with the insults whenever anybody disagrees with you?

It leaves a sour taste every time.

Archived