IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Too true. Every transfer has an element of risk. When Man U signed Di Maria for 60 odd million did they expect him to play like Stevie Wonder ? Nope. Did Liverpool pay 30 odd for Salah expecting him to be worth 5/6 times that in one season ? Nope

At our level that risk level is magnified quite a lot. 

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

There are others you could add to the United list. Veron stands out: a world class player who didn't work out.

The examples used above are proven players - might be from abroad, but top pedigree.

The players Bob and Redcherry are talking about are players lower down the ladder that they’ve scouted (professionally scouted in some cases) who they think have serious potential above the level they were watched at.

I know Bob instantly saw FINISHER in Marriott, because he’d DM’d me in the past.  We could’ve got him for £200k probably.  No guarantees of success, and of course for every scout, they’ll have their “he’s the one that got away” player, but it must be frustrating for them to push a player under City’s noses, and see interest, but no purchase.  It’s probably part and parcel of scouting too.  RedCherry had talked to me about Watkins for ages.

I won’t go into detail, but over the past few years the amount of Exeter players who’ve gone on to better things is pretty impressive.  We talk about Angers and their scouts, Exeter do it bloody well.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

ahem any update on Marriott :whistle:

According to a poster on the Cardiff forum who has a mate closely linked to midlands football, Brum, VILLA (?), Forest and WBA are in for him. We can't compete with the money some of them pay I would imagine although Villa (and Blues for that matter) can' spend anything can they? 

WBA  would be a concern if they're after him. Maybe it's time we called their bluff but after seemingly losing out on Reid, that could be true. 

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This things take time

I know.

But I am on holiday in July, and I want this sorted before I go away.

I don't think I am being unreasonable.

Give them the ******* £6M, do the ******** medical, leak it to the Post.

Questions?

Bish-bosh-bash.

8 minutes ago, hodge said:

Think we'd have the advantage until Derby sell Vydra.

Possibly so, they certainly seem to have to sell to buy. Much talk of Vydra to Leeds but Bielsa has only just got his feet under the desk and may look to loan players from Man City.

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d rather just buy Eisa and him be a flop than spend 7m on Marriott. It is all good and well getting good fees for your players but just would not do business with them at Peterbrough. 

Get both - Diedhiou, Djuric, Marriot, Eisa and Taylor is a nice group of forwards with lots of different strengths. 

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Get both - Diedhiou, Djuric, Marriot, Eisa and Taylor is a nice group of forwards with lots of different strengths. 

Add Watkins and possibly the lad from scunny to that and I see a LJ Plan B. 3-5-2 going forward, 5-3-2 without possession and on the break. Shame if JB does go as he'd be ideal in midfield especially going forward. If he goes I can see him playing that more advanced role.

19 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Add Watkins and possibly the lad from scunny to that and I see a LJ Plan B. 3-5-2 going forward, 5-3-2 without possession and on the break. Shame if JB does go as he'd be ideal in midfield especially going forward. If he goes I can see him playing that more advanced role.

Isn’t 352 where Watkins failed at Norwich? Think 442 is staying honestly which I don’t mind as long as Brownhill stays central this season. Think the press affected the central midfielders the most. Rotate Smith, Brownhill, Pack, Walsh and maybe COD. Wouldn’t say no to another either. 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Isn’t 352 where Watkins failed at Norwich? Think 442 is staying honestly which I don’t mind as long as Brownhill stays central this season. Think the press affected the central midfielders the most. Rotate Smith, Brownhill, Pack, Walsh and maybe COD. Wouldn’t say no to another either. 

As a plan B, not suggesting that we will change system, just looking at the picture I see emerging for a plan B, something we missed so much last year.

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Thought he was worth circa £5m this latest HITC Sport piece says £7m

£7m could be after all clauses/bonuses etc, we'd probably have to get to the prem for a chunk if it too, no way the initial fee is that high.

14 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Smith is great at breaking up play but he'd prosper with Brownhills energy and forward thinking. Pack for some reason I see as the next to depart.

Archived