IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

17 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Looks like only two clubs interested,  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44898330 , presumably the unnamed club is us.  If so and having signed Eisa we are no longer interested, it will be interesting to see how this pans out.  Peterborough could be left with a dissatisfied player on their hands.

I would not presume we are not interested, signing Eisa for a million means we still have some in the war chest.... but if we are really ambitious we should go get him, although I am content I think with the business so far we haven't done enough for a challenge for top 6.  

Totally agree with those saying it would be a big gamble, much bigger gamble than Eisa but a natural goal scorer will score a fair amount at any level it’s in their genes, you watch JM score a bucket load wherever he ends up, cue we should of just paid whatever P’boro were quoting posts.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Derby £4.75M plus add ons according to their forum. 

Not £6.5m then?

So what Darren wants, Darren doesn't always get!

Would be interesting to know what our offer was - presumably lower than Derby's  or was it more the player rejecting a move here in favour of a move to Derby?

5 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

There were rumours earlier that Vydra had dropped his wage demands a bit so his move to Leeds could be back on. So the Derby rumour is most probably correct.

That would make sense Donnie.

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Not £6.5m then?

Would be interesting to know what our offer was - presumably lower than Derby's  or was it more the player rejecting a move here in favour of a move to Derby?

A City fan on the Derby forum said we bid £2M and £3M but I've no idea if that's correct or not. It would appear we never had a bid accepted.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Not £6.5m then?

The latter i think. We surely could match Derby's offer however we don't know for sure how much the add ons and clauses are.

10 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Millwall finished above us, Leeds, Wednesday etc - reckon they're a step above us do you?

At this moment in time....yes - we’ve been a flimsy championship club for three seasons, flirting with relegation for the majority of the time, with long, long winless runs being a feature, during those seasons - Leeds and Wednesday are firmly established clubs at this level....and Millwall had a fantastic season and finished above us.....so yes, all three of those are a step up...why do you think otherwise?

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

At this moment in time....yes - we’ve been a flimsy championship club for three seasons, flirting with relegation for the majority of the time, with long, long winless runs being a feature, during those seasons - Leeds and Wednesday are firmly established clubs at this level....and Millwall had a fantastic season and finished above us.....so yes, all three of those are a step up...why do you think otherwise?

So just a ‘rubbish’ reaction with no counter-argument or opinion @BessexRED - lazy, lazy stuff....but then again, you are a bit of a WUM....Wednesday and Leeds attract crowds we can only dream of and they’ve been in this division (not league) for around 14 seasons between them now....yet we are a step up?!

38 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Going against the grain here, but for £4.75m, I’d hope we match Derby’s bid and give the lad something to think about at least.

Think he’s got something about him, a bit Lee Trundle-esque.

Trundle-esque? That’s meant to be a recommendation?

He was largely out of his depth in The Championship..

Hope we stick with what we have & avoid the barrow boys at Peterborough..

Just had a look at Derby’s squad and it is massive, you’d expect a few will be on the way out if Marriot and Waghorn both go through...

Goalkeepers - Scott Carson, Jon Mitchell & Kelle Roos

Defenders - Richard Keogh, Curtis Davies, Alex Pearce, Craig Forsyth, Andre Wisdom, Max Lowe, Jamie Hanson, Jayden Bogle & Marcus Olsson.

Midfielders - Tom Huddlestone, Craig Bryson, Mason Mount, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, George Thorne, Joe Ledley, Timi Elsnik, Callum Guy, Harry Wilson, Tom Lawrence, Mason Bennett, Luke Thomas, Ikechi Anya, Nick Blackman, Kyle McAllistair & Kellan Gordon.

Strikers - Chris Martin, Matej Vydra, Cameron Jerome, David Nugent, Charles Vernam & Offrande Zanzala

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Trundle-esque? That’s meant to be a recommendation?

He was largely out of his depth in The Championship..

Hope we stick with what we have & avoid the barrow boys at Peterborough..

It is a recommendation. If we’d got Trundle at the same age as Marriott,  we’d have been laughing. Instead we picked him up two/three years past his best. Still some moments of class though.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So just a ‘rubbish’ reaction with no counter-argument or opinion @BessexRED - lazy, lazy stuff....but then again, you are a bit of a WUM....Wednesday and Leeds attract crowds we can only dream of and they’ve been in this division (not league) for around 14 seasons between them now....yet we are a step up?!

Not my debate, and not sure I wholly disagree, but saying those clubs aren't a step up from us, doesn't mean we are a step up from them.

I'd say we're at about par with Preston. Leeds and Wednesday do get very impressive crowds, but are they in better shape when it comes to a promotion push (how I'm interpreting these 'steps' to mean) I'd say I'm not sure.

Wednesday had a worse season than us last time, but were decimated by injuries for a long time, so hard to really evaluate based on the last season available, yet that is the only measure that is worth anything?

Leeds are (as it seems to have been for a long time now) in a crazy place. Already there have been people suggesting Bielsa could walk away, The manager they had last season was supposedly going to be backed more, but was sacked. Heckingbottom was meant to be there at least until the start of this season and that didn't happen either.

We have shown we can put up a fight at the top end of the table, so while I don't expect us to be in a promotion race, it's not something that's completely unattainable. (I'd put us in a category of clubs who could be described as "outside chance at the playoffs", along with Preston, Brentford and 1 or 2 others). But I'd say our chances were higher than Millwalls.

8 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Just had a look at Derby’s squad and it is massive, you’d expect a few will be on the way out if Marriot and Waghorn both go through...

Goalkeepers - Scott Carson, Jon Mitchell & Kelle Roos

Defenders - Richard Keogh, Curtis Davies, Alex Pearce, Craig Forsyth, Andre Wisdom, Max Lowe, Jamie Hanson, Jayden Bogle & Marcus Olsson.

Midfielders - Tom Huddlestone, Craig Bryson, Mason Mount, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, George Thorne, Joe Ledley, Timi Elsnik, Callum Guy, Harry Wilson, Tom Lawrence, Mason Bennett, Luke Thomas, Ikechi Anya, Nick Blackman, Kyle McAllistair & Kellan Gordon.

Strikers - Chris Martin, Matej Vydra, Cameron Jerome, David Nugent, Charles Vernam & Offrande Zanzala

On paper that squad is pretty sexy and full of experience.

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

By your horrendous logic, we're a step up from Leeds and Wednesday just because of table position. Millwall get sub 10k home fans most weeks, we get crowds they could only dream of, our crowds to Wednesday are much closer than Millwall to ours.

There's a much bigger picture than just a table position from the previous season.

Archived