IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Plus MacAnthony said Marriott's head was turned by the wages Derby were offering.

Derby's cost cutting doesn't seem to have lasted long. :whistle:

and still there are City fans who don't get the financial issues that make it tough to compete in this division - Derby don't even have parachute payments and, as you have hinted, are meant to be cutting costs.

Derby have probably worked out that they can narrowly avoid FFP sanctions so are now going to go for it by doing a Villa. If they go up it’s hunky dory and if they don’t they can also do a Villa and bring in new investors to buy them another season of rolling the dice. Until the FA grow a pair the craziness will continue and clubs like ours will not be able to compete.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Waghorn, a very experienced premier league/championship player

He has played 6 games in the Premier League, 210 in the Championship. Experienced in the Championship, fine, but not the Premier League. 6 appearances and no goals there.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He’s got a roughly one goal every three games record over an 11 year career

Depends how 'roughly' you are talking. I feel you're spinning that statistic slightly to make your point.

Over his entire career in all competitions, 93 goals in 314 appearances. 1 goal every 3.38 games, so I'll give you that, 'to the nearest game' - though it is very rough.

However, when you consider 17 of his career goals were scored in Scottish Cup competitions, a little over 18% of all his career goals. A further 20 in the Scottish Championship, 21.5% of his career goals. That's very close to 40% of his career goals in those two categories.

In England - 49 goals in 236 appearances. 1 goal every 4.82 games.

In the Championship - 49 goals in 210 appearances. 1 goal every 4.29 games.

I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong here, nor give an opinion on Waghorn's ability, at the end of the day if £8m is what someone is willing to pay, then clearly that is what they feel his 'worth' to them is. Those above are just facts presented slightly differently to the way you yourself presented them.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't want our club to spend £8m on him personally.

• Admin
2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Plus MacAnthony said Marriott's head was turned by the wages Derby were offering.

Derby's cost cutting doesn't seem to have lasted long. :whistle:

Get rid of one player on £25k a week and replace him with another on £24k - it is still cost cutting

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m with you and I wouldn’t pay anywhere near that money for him mate

Just think he’s better than he’s generally perceived 

Yes, lot of pre-conceptions based on earlier career, Wikipedia stats....when we ought to be looking at what he brings to Ipswich, a mid-table, lowish scoring team (in top half, only Millwall scores less - 56).

38 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

He has played 6 games in the Premier League, 210 in the Championship. Experienced in the Championship, fine, but not the Premier League. 6 appearances and no goals there.

Depends how 'roughly' you are talking. I feel you're spinning that statistic slightly to make your point.

Over his entire career in all competitions, 93 goals in 314 appearances. 1 goal every 3.38 games, so I'll give you that, 'to the nearest game' - though it is very rough.

However, when you consider 17 of his career goals were scored in Scottish Cup competitions, a little over 18% of all his career goals. A further 20 in the Scottish Championship, 21.5% of his career goals. That's very close to 40% of his career goals in those two categories.

In England - 49 goals in 236 appearances. 1 goal every 4.82 games.

In the Championship - 49 goals in 210 appearances. 1 goal every 4.29 games.

I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong here, nor give an opinion on Waghorn's ability, at the end of the day if £8m is what someone is willing to pay, then clearly that is what they feel his 'worth' to them is. Those above are just facts presented slightly differently to the way you yourself presented them.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't want our club to spend £8m on him personally.

A lot of his earlier career was sub appearances..

His 211a / 49g dies t look great, but actually equates to 133 full 90 minute games.

Over his career his 314a / 93g is over 207 90 minutes worth.

But I think we all agree £8m is a lot (As was Reid’s £9+1m), but I reckon better value than Marriott at £6.5m.  If Marriott has gone for £4.75m, I still think it’s over the idea, but I get the value.  I think we overpaid for Diedhiou at £5.3m, but could understand Anger’s reticence to see them not get the value they missed with JK.

Stats, lies and all that!!!!

I do so hope Marriott signs for someone today.

I rarely wish ill of anyone but do wonder how many BEP journalists will be seeking new employment once their one and only boring, ill-informed, tedious, inaccurate, regurgitated non story has collapsed.

I do realise that OTIB has made 27 pages of it but, jeez, talk about disingenuous click-bait. 

It makes another "Curbishly Clifton property" joke look like the cutting edge of contemporary British humour.

If true then keep everything crossed that Marriott proves to be a complete flop:fingerscrossed:, if he bags 25 and fires them to promotion we're going to be feeling a bit fed up. Maybe we met there valuation, but Marriott didn't want to move to us? Maybe we didn't meet there valuation and sort better value elsewhere in Eisa. Who knows :dunno:

15 minutes ago, Sniper said:

If true then keep everything crossed that Marriott proves to be a complete flop:fingerscrossed:, if he bags 25 and fires them to promotion we're going to be feeling a bit fed up. Maybe we met there valuation, but Marriott didn't want to move to us? Maybe we didn't meet there valuation and sort better value elsewhere in Eisa. Who knows :dunno:

FWIW we didn’t meet the asking price as it’s too high.

Always had other, more suitable options to go for.

Should never of got to 27 pages of conjecture IMHO.

11 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Deal was dead long before Eisa signed. 

The deal was dead when BCFC found out the valuation approximately the same time Mr Peterborough said Jack wanted to go to Forest which the Derby fan's will no doubt appreciate. So it'll be c £5million with any number of add ons

I have no doubt that Jack would have been happy to go to any of the interested clubs so long as it was not called Peterborough, in the Championship and with an enormous pay day coupled with a spectacular pay rise. And good luck to the guy except when he plays us.

Personally, all things considered, the Mo signing is much more interesting to me in the same way Callum O'Dowda was when he moved from L2 Oxford. It may take a season to step up but a refugee from war torn Sudan may be a little more focussed and determined than your average player and make his mark that much quicker. 

Just maybe- the absence of Fam for those 6 games is all he'll need to get his chance. Good stuff.

15:15

DERBY AGREE MARRIOTT FEE

Derby County have agreed a fee that could rise to £5m for Peterborough striker Jack Marriott, according to Sky sources.

The negotiations have been protracted, but we understand Derby will make an initial payment of £3m, with significant add-ons depending on performances.

Marriott will undergo a medical in Derby later today, and the deal could be completed tomorrow.

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:28, Davefevs said:

At last, thanks.  Players don’t live 100 yards from the ground, they can afford to live wherever they want within reason.  Lytham is very nice.

I really don’t get the mentality that says "why would he go there, Town X is a shithole”.

have you ever been to Yatton ?

26 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

FWIW we didn’t meet the asking price as it’s too high.

Always had other, more suitable options to go for.

Should never of got to 27 pages of conjecture IMHO.

Posh wanted a minimum of 30 pages on OTIB with a add ons ( additional for achieving 100 likes)  but we were only prepared to go as high as 20.

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Bit disappointed we have pulled out considering the initial fee is £3m, rising to £5m. Considering we got £10m for Reid that's not bad business at all for a younger striker. I've got a bad feeling this could be one that got away.

Odds on he would have chosen Derby as he is said to want to stay in the East Midlands and Derby will pay him a lot more than us.

MacAnthony said his head had been turned by the big bucks they had offered.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Get rid of one player on £25k a week and replace him with another on £24k - it is still cost cutting

Not quite the scale of cuts Morris was implying though, especially as Lampard said recently he expected Vydra to stay and they are about to spend big bucks on 2 strikers if they get Waghorn as well. Not to mention 2 high profile young Prem players on loan, who won't come cheap.

Could it be Lampard decided he couldn't manage without spending big after all?

24 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Bit disappointed we have pulled out considering the initial fee is £3m, rising to £5m. Considering we got £10m for Reid that's not bad business at all for a younger striker. I've got a bad feeling this could be one that got away.

Bit pleased that we pulled off the Eisa transfer considering the initial fee is £1.25m. Considering we got £10m for Reid that's not bad business at all for a young striker. I've got a good feeling this could be the one that didn't get away.

42 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I don’t think we can discount cause and effect here. I may well be the asking price was much higher when we were interested too. Our signing of Eisa may have turned it from a bidding war where Posh could name their price to a situation where they had a wantaway striker and only one suitor, hence a drastic drop in asking price.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I do so hope Marriott signs for someone today.

I rarely wish ill of anyone but do wonder how many BEP journalists will be seeking new employment once their one and only boring, ill-informed, tedious, inaccurate, regurgitated non story has collapsed.

I do realise that OTIB has made 27 pages of it but, jeez, talk about disingenuous click-bait. 

It makes another "Curbishly Clifton property" joke look like the cutting edge of contemporary British humour.

Sunderland had a 94  :blink: page thread on their prospective signing of Eisa

:yes:

A hour by hour drama for days 

Only to end in dissapointment .........

:whistle2:

Some decent comments about us tbf 

24 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Bit pleased that we pulled off the Eisa transfer considering the initial fee is £1.25m. Considering we got £10m for Reid that's not bad business at all for a young striker. I've got a good feeling this could be the one that didn't get away.

What a bizarre post. You do realise I'm not disappointed about us signing Eisa right?

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don’t think we can discount cause and effect here. I may well be the asking price was much higher when we were interested too. Our signing of Eisa may have turned it from a bidding war where Posh could name their price to a situation where they had a wantaway striker and only one suitor, hence a drastic drop in asking price.

Yep this is a good point to be fair.

Nothing changes much. Derby seem to always win the race when a number of clubs are involved. Clough signed a shed load and it hasn't stopped. Let's hope they miss out again on promotion.

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

Nothing changes much. Derby seem to always win the race when a number of clubs are involved. Clough signed a shed load and it hasn't stopped. Let's hope they miss out again on promotion.

Nigel I mean.

51 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Nottingham Post reporting the fee is £2.5m rising to £5m with add ons. How different it might have been had that been the fee Posh were asking at the outset?

No wonder McAnthony was desperate to get a bidding war going when the fee the were asking was over £6m. 

Archived