IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

1 hour ago, Agard Days Night said:

FWIW we didn’t meet the asking price as it’s too high.

Always had other, more suitable options to go for.

Should never of got to 27 pages of conjecture IMHO.

2 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Deal was dead long before Eisa signed. 

Why didn’t you tell us 20 pages a go . Would of saved us all so much time. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't really get the Derby situation. Are they gambling on promotion and risking being in trouble with ffp? Or are their financial troubles a lie? They certainly have some goalscorers now. Marriott will be a goal machine imo. Vydra championship top goal scorer last season. Waghorn 15+ last season, Wilson was scoring about a goal a game for Hull. Mount scored nearly 20 in Holland and Lawrence is capable of double figures like he did for Ipswich. Gonna be a an entertaining game when a side like ours face them that's for sure. 

The problem with gambling with ffp, is that the rules have changed.

Previously a club with a mind to, could throw money at promotion and bust the financial guidelines, but if promotion were achieved they could then clear down debt built up from the pot of premier league gold, because once they were in the premier league they would be beyond the clutches of the football league.

Now, because the EFL will use projected accounts for the third year, if a club is found in breach, then the penalties can be applied in the same season. As one of the new penalties is a point deduction, then a club gaining promotion or on the verge of promotion can be denied it completely and would therefore be deprived of the financial reward that premier league promotion would , in the past, have been their "reward".  

If the EFL have the balls to apply sanction if any club breaches the financial rules, then there is no longer the incentive to "risk being in trouble with ffp" in an attempt to achieve promotion as it really is a double whammy for so doing.

It is increasingly looking like SL was absolutely right in making the decision for the club to work and live within it's financial means so as to avoid falling foul of the financial rules.

So glad this thread can be finally put to bed. We've got mo eisa instead, a hungry young player who's come from nowhere. I'm sure with his hunger and desire, he will do well for us, when given the chance. His career is on the up. I really couldn't care less about Jack marriot. I'm sure Derby are happy with there purchase. Now let's get young mo ready, and pushing for a place on the subs bench. 

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...that’s very kind of you! I said he got ‘roughly a goal in every three games’ - so I was ‘roughly’ correct - cheers for confirming it...

A sarky reply that skips the point of my post entirely, thanks for your contribution.

17 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

A sarky reply that skips the point of my post entirely, thanks for your contribution.

Apologies C27 - wasn’t trying to be too sarky - I posted that throughout his 11 year career Waghorn had a scoring record of ‘roughly 1 goal every 3 games’ - you confirmed this is ‘roughly’ correct - I didn’t realise you’d go on to analyse his record in such great detail...you made some interesting points, but it still all results in his record being ‘roughly 1 goal every 3 games’ - I think that’s a pretty cool return over 11 years...but apologies again, wasn’t trying to wind you up...

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

@BS4 on Tour... are you trying to find someone to replace me as your sparring partner on here?

:sad26:

It’s too hot for sparring J!!! It’s so hot I’m alternating between merlot and water! Yes, water! But, don’t get complacent, I’ll be reading your posts with hawk-like attention - ready to jump in with my pedantic mutterings in a pathetic attempt to prove you wrong whilst hovering over the ‘rubbish’ reaction icon....you have been warned!!!!

6 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

P’boro chairman stating the fee for Marriott being banded about in the media is way off to what Derby are paying....

He would say that wouldn't he, because he doesn't want to look like his is left with egg on his face?

When the bidding war he wanted, to drive up the fee, did not materialise ( because we called his bluff) and Posh were left with Derby as the only option, it became a buyers market. Had he not bandied the fee they wanted all over social media,  no one would be any the wiser, and would likely think that Posh had received a pretty decent fee. As it is, it looks like Posh have capitulated and Derby have had them over.

"What Darren wants, Darren doesn't always get!"  :laughcont:

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies C27 - wasn’t trying to be too sarky - I posted that throughout his 11 year career Waghorn had a scoring record of ‘roughly 1 goal every 3 games’ - you confirmed this is ‘roughly’ correct - I didn’t realise you’d go on to analyse his record in such great detail...you made some interesting points, but it still all results in his record being ‘roughly 1 goal every 3 games’ - I think that’s a pretty cool return over 11 years...but apologies again, wasn’t trying to wind you up...

I am not looking to get involved in this little  spat but I think you would have to admit that 49 in 216  in English leagues is far less impressive and although I am not as harsh on the Scots Prem as some, the first of those seasons he was with Rangers they were playing in League 1 which I don't think is very good at all. 

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

The problem with gambling with ffp, is that the rules have changed.

Previously a club with a mind to, could throw money at promotion and bust the financial guidelines, but if promotion were achieved they could then clear down debt built up from the pot of premier league gold, because once they were in the premier league they would be beyond the clutches of the football league.

Now, because the EFL will use projected accounts for the third year, if a club is found in breach, then the penalties can be applied in the same season. As one of the new penalties is a point deduction, then a club gaining promotion or on the verge of promotion can be denied it completely and would therefore be deprived of the financial reward that premier league promotion would , in the past, have been their "reward".  

If the EFL have the balls to apply sanction if any club breaches the financial rules, then there is no longer the incentive to "risk being in trouble with ffp" in an attempt to achieve promotion as it really is a double whammy for so doing.

It is increasingly looking like SL was absolutely right in making the decision for the club to work and live within it's financial means so as to avoid falling foul of the financial rules.

There is no way that a points deduction will happen that  would effect a clubs promotion prospects / achievement.

The legal case would take years to resolve!

Fines, yes, but points deductions that make a material difference, no chance.

Remember the clubs have the ultimate sanction, they can get together, and tell UEFA / FIFA to do one!

Will these organizations risk jeopardizing the 'Gravy Train'..... not a hope.

41 minutes ago, downendcity said:

He would say that wouldn't he, because he doesn't want to look like his is left with egg on his face?

When the bidding war he wanted, to drive up the fee, did not materialise ( because we called his bluff) and Posh were left with Derby as the only option, it became a buyers market. Had he not bandied the fee they wanted all over social media,  no one would be any the wiser, and would likely think that Posh had received a pretty decent fee. As it is, it looks like Posh have capitulated and Derby have had them over.

"What Darren wants, Darren doesn't always get!"  :laughcont:

Your probably spot on regarding DM can’t believe a word he says most of the time, he said something a tad bitter about LJ when he said that JM would be a punt, probably not happy as we signed their replacement (Eisa) for JM.

38 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

There is no way that a points deduction will happen that  would effect a clubs promotion prospects / achievement.

The legal case would take years to resolve!

Fines, yes, but points deductions that make a material difference, no chance.

Remember the clubs have the ultimate sanction, they can get together, and tell UEFA / FIFA to do one!

Will these organizations risk jeopardizing the 'Gravy Train'..... not a hope.

The financial rules in question are the EFL rules - not UEFA/FIFA - and the latest updated set of rules, that include points deductions as one of the penalties, were agreed by the premier league as well. On what basis would a club legally dispute a points deduction? They knew the rules when they started the season and where they sit within the financial parameters. The club submit their own set of projected accounts, so it's not as though the EFL foist their won, made if figures on the club at the eleventh hour. A breach of the rules will be a matter of fact - in the same way as fielding an illegible player ( A Scottish club has just been docked 2 points for doing just that). I'm making an educated guess, that the EFL will not make a 20 point deduction for a club breaching financial limited by £15, so the penalty applied will be commensurate with the level of overspend. That being the case, how would a club make a legal case for disputing whatever penal;ty is applied? 

Clubs might well club together and tell the EFL to do one , but which clubs would that be? I doubt it would be the clubs that failed to achieve promotion because one club "cheated" their way to the premier league and deprived that option to a club that was playing withins the rules. If Villa should breach the rules this season  which is a real possibility - do you think we will be on their side, if they are sitting in the last play off position and we are a couple of points behind?

A club, or clubs might go, to the EFL and argue that they don't agree with the financial rules and the EFL might then tell them to find another league to play in, if they are not prepared to accept the same set of rules as the other 91 clubs.

No one is deprived the gravy train by the application of these rules, as 3 teams will still be promoted from the championship to the premier league, exactly as happens every other season. It's just that there is no bloody point in 23 clubs competing for promotion on one basis, of the other club says "stuff that" we are going to knock them all into a cocked hat by ignoring those rules and doing it any way we want, even of that means over spending beyond what we can afford.

At the end of the day, the big clubs will just get richer and more powerful and trample the lesser clubs out of existence, unless there is some sort of financial framework to prevent it, but also to avoid what has almost happened at Villa, i.e. reckless spending causing a club to go bust. Many of us were around in '82 and know how close we came to not having a club and would not want it to happen to us again, or for the fans of any other club to go through the same experience.

If the rules mean any thing , then the EFL has to ensure they are enforced notwithstanding the comeback from a penalised club. If not then there is a real danger of what happened at AC Milan - this was UEFA financial rules. Having been penalised AC Milan demanded that UEFA release details of the accounts of PSG and other clubs to show how and why they had not fallen foul of the same penalties. UEFA were forced to drop the action against AC Milan. That is why the EFL must enforce the rules against any club breaching, otherwise it will create a precedent, which the lawyers of avery other club will look to exploit in future cases.

Archived