IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

2 hours ago, westonred said:

Barry Fry is now trying to get Brum to put in an offer saying that Marriott would turn them into serious promotion contenders and he would love him to go there. You can't blame him for trying it seems we are the only ones so far to put in a serious bid and they are trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of someone.

Unless the media are making it up Barry Fry is behaving rather unprofessionally and somewhat childishly, yet again.

1 hour ago, stokes7 said:

To be honest if we are in for him and Peterborough are playing these games then I would just pull the plug on it

" Dear Mr Marriott ,

we are interested in signing you at Bristol City , our deal is as offered but will expire on ... and will not be renewed.

yours sincerely "

I hope there is something like this lodged with his agent.

He's a third division player with one very good season not bloody Neymar .

Stuff Barry Fry . 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

" Dear Mr Marriott ,

we are interested in signing you at Bristol City , our deal is as offered but will expire on ... and will not be renewed.

yours sincerely "

I hope there is something like this lodged with his agent.

He's a third division player with one very good season not bloody Neymar .

Stuff Barry Fry . 

The way some on here are talking you’d think we were signing Neymar. The money being quoted is a big gamble. The step up from league one is massive. 

12 minutes ago, swanker said:

The way some on here are talking you’d think we were signing Neymar. The money being quoted is a big gamble. The step up from league one is massive. 

People keep saying this, but look at Millwall and Sheff Utd last season. They competed very well without massive changes to their squads. There is definitely a step up, but I don't think gambling on a player from League 1 is any more of a risk than getting a player in from France. Our record signing strikers has been pretty good in recent years (Diony aside), so if the scouts think Marriott will do the business at this level then I'm not going to argue

3 hours ago, westonred said:

Barry Fry is now trying to get Brum to put in an offer saying that Marriott would turn them into serious promotion contenders and he would love him to go there. You can't blame him for trying it seems we are the only ones so far to put in a serious bid and they are trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of someone.

As Fry is not addressing our interest directly, I would guess that either were the only serious bidder so far or that we've already said we won't pay the fee they want. Too much smoke for us not to have (or have had) some level of interest in him

5 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

As Fry is not addressing our interest directly, I would guess that either were the only serious bidder so far or that we've already said we won't pay the fee they want. Too much smoke for us not to have (or have had) some level of interest in him

Indeed, and given Fry's behaviour and given that it seems the player's agent is talking to Forest, who have reportedly not made a bid, it seems reasonable to conclude that a bidding war is being encouraged and that the player does not want to join us.

If we have been pursuing him maybe it's time to move on.

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Indeed, and given Fry's behaviour and given that it seems the player's agent is talking to Forest, who have reportedly not made a bid, it seems reasonable to conclude that a bidding war is being encouraged and that the player does not want to join us.

If we have been pursuing him maybe it's time to move on.

Or the player has interest in joining us but we're not prepared to pay what Peterborough are asking. Either way, I agree that Fry is trying to start (or at least give the impression of) a bidding war

4 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Or the player has interest in joining us but we're not prepared to pay what Peterborough are asking. Either way, I agree that Fry is trying to start (or at least give the impression of) a bidding war

But if, as claimed, his agent is talking to Forest despite them not having bid, presumably trying to get them to do so, it doesn't look like he is keen on us.

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But if, as claimed, his agent is talking to Forest despite them not having bid, presumably trying to get them to do so, it doesn't look like he is keen on us.

I'm not sure Marriotts agent has spoken to Forest. This could all be Fry playing mind games. After all without being accused of tapping up what can Forest discuss with the agent. In my mind they can only discuss whether he is interested in the move nothing more

38 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

I'm not sure Marriotts agent has spoken to Forest. This could all be Fry playing mind games. After all without being accused of tapping up what can Forest discuss with the agent. In my mind they can only discuss whether he is interested in the move nothing more

Fry claimed it, and that Karanka had spoken to Steve Evans. Fair chance he is inventing stories to try to up the price of course.

5 hours ago, westonred said:

Basically, no-one has bid enough, or they’re trying to squeeze more out.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Unless the media are making it up Barry Fry is behaving rather unprofessionally and somewhat childishly, yet again.

Again, quel surprise.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Yes, he can’t mention us if we’ve bid.  The fact he’s touting other clubs means they haven’t bid imho.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Fry claimed it, and that Karanka had spoken to Steve Evans. Fair chance he is inventing stories to try to up the price of course.

Karanka could’ve been chatting to Evans about anything, Fry stirring it.

Who knows if we’ve bid, whether we’ve bid enough, etc.  But one thing, no point reading much into Fry’s comments, he’s doing his usual thing.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

I would imagine that's all part of Fry's schtick though. Most professional footballers want to go to whomever is going to pay them the most and give them a shot at top level football. I don't suppose he gives two hoots about history. Of course, Forest may well offer more money

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Basically, no-one has bid enough, or they’re trying to squeeze more out.

Again, quel surprise.

Yes, he can’t mention us if we’ve bid.  The fact he’s touting other clubs means they haven’t bid imho.

Karanka could’ve been chatting to Evans about anything, Fry stirring it.

Who knows if we’ve bid, whether we’ve bid enough, etc.  But one thing, no point reading much into Fry’s comments, he’s doing his usual thing.

Weren't Forest supposedly linked with Maddison from Posh?

43 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Could it be that the Mings congrats and the #BCFC were actually directed at Birmingham City FC and not us?

No because Brum havent even bid for him .

Poshs Chairman stated on Twitter that Marriott and his agent were both away on thier holidays and neither had spoken to NFFC so why now is Barry Fry saying they have ?

3 minutes ago, westonred said:

No because Brum havent even bid for him .

Poshs Chairman stated on Twitter that Marriott and his agent were both away on thier holidays and neither had spoken to NFFC so why now is Barry Fry saying they have ?

Maybe Marriott came back for Malaga to speak to us and wants to see if he can get a better deal? :dunno:

Barry Fry is just trying to force the deal up IMHO.

3 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

I think we are/were definitely interested but sense we won’t pay the suggested £6.5m transfer fee!

I’m sure that the money is available on the basis that it would have taken £6m to sign Diony permanently!

Also, if as has been posted elsewhere West Brom are in for Bobby then Posh will know we need a replacement and have money to spend so will do all they can to drive the fee up.

27 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Also, if as has been posted elsewhere West Brom are in for Bobby then Posh will know we need a replacement and have money to spend so will do all they can to drive the fee up.

Certainly doesn’t help our cause - looks like WBA will be giving us a fair chunk of money if the rumours of Reid and Flint are true - ought to be near £20m for the both!!

Just hope City have replacements lined up with deals already agreed!

Bet I get shouted down for this. 

But is Fry behaving any different to how we dealt with Kodjia’s transfer. First it was we won’t sell to a team in the championship, then Derby are interested. Which no doubt pushed the transfer value up further. 

Also as a side note Bobby Reid (who I’ve always liked) has only had one storming season. Last season he missed at Cardiff from a yard out in the last couple of minutes, and was being slated saying sell him now. Now I’m not getting into a argument with anyone but how can we value him so high but say buying Marriott is a gamble. 

As much as I would love the figures touted for Reid and Flint no one (apart from WBA today, and that’s if they actually have),  have put an offer to us. 

Anyway back to arguing about Baldock :shifty:

Archived