Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Charlie BCFC

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

There has been so much to this story. It could well be journalism at its best saying '8 or 9 clubs are chasing Marriott' how do we know? Clubs aren't going to admit it, are people going to ask every club if they're after Marriott? Absolutely not. It's obvious Fry and co. will be agreeing with the papers, it ramps up the price for an 'in demand' striker. For all we know it's us and one other club and Fry and his hordes are just doing what they do best... if city stick and turn their attentions elsewhere, how do we know Marriott won't just stay where he is because nobody else is interested? Poker faces needed for this one. 

23 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

There has been so much to this story. It could well be journalism at its best saying '8 or 9 clubs are chasing Marriott' how do we know? Clubs aren't going to admit it, are people going to ask every club if they're after Marriott? Absolutely not. It's obvious Fry and co. will be agreeing with the papers, it ramps up the price for an 'in demand' striker. For all we know it's us and one other club and Fry and his hordes are just doing what they do best... if city stick and turn their attentions elsewhere, how do we know Marriott won't just stay where he is because nobody else is interested? Poker faces needed for this one. 

The 8 or 9 bit came from the Posh end. Given the 2 sober, serious and honourable men involved I think we can safely it is true. Possibly. :cool:

• Haha 1

I'm beginning to think that Darragh doesn't half peddle some garbage that people are totally taken in by. He should be a lot more private. 

Posh do their dealing far too publicly for me TBH. 

• Like 4

On 15/07/2018 at 15:34, Ska Junkie said:

'Posh owner Darragh MacAnthony has now confirmed that a unnamed Championship side has moved again for the 23-year-old with three bids submitted in the last eight days.'

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fresh-bids-bristol-city-derby-1787729

No idea if it's us.

All Championship clubs have names so I'm calling his bluff.

On 15/07/2018 at 15:46, Ryan_BCFC said:

This is getting boring now. Either pay up and get him signed on or move on to the next target.  

How do you know we haven't ? 

Are you ITK ?

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

All Championship clubs have names so I'm calling his bluff.

How do you know we haven't ? 

Are you ITK ?

Is any body?! :facepalm:

34 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I'm definitely not.

On 15/07/2018 at 15:08, Ska Junkie said:

I'm beginning to think that Darragh doesn't half peddle some garbage that people are totally taken in by. He should be a lot more private. 

He’s on Twitter again , picture of Marriott and co laughing saying 4th offer of the day , to be honest if offers flowing in like that , it’s either not us or at least not only us , think this ones dead , at least for us

• Like 1

Obnoxious picture of them enjoying the auction no doubt. I really hope we have walked away and not been part of the auction with the barrow boys. No doubt his agent will be adding plenty more to the cost too. 

• Like 1

On 15/07/2018 at 15:08, Ska Junkie said:

I quite like it. I think all clubs should be more open about what’s going on to their fans. I bet Peterborough fans love it. Undisclosed fees should be banned. 

Edited by Carey 6
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I quite like it. I think all clubs should be more open about what’s going on to their fans. I bet Peterborough fans love it.   Undisclosed fees should be banned. 

i don't its unprofessional and tinpot

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i don't its unprofessional and tinpot

Each to their own. I thought what JL did at the start of this season was quite unprofessional with some of the ‘announce the kit’ stuff. Along with his ocassional indirect digs on twitter about certain things. 

At least what MacAnthony does is informative & not looking to wind his own fan base up. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I quite like it. I think all clubs should be more open about what’s going on to their fans. I bet Peterborough fans love it. Undisclosed fees should be banned. 

I wouldn't mind being a little more in the open as "we have received a bid for player A", but all this "we've had 3 bids" and then a few hours later "it's now 4 bids" etc etc is pathetic. I hope nobody has bid anything stupid and they get stuck with the player tbh. Considering they are moaning at the value of Eisa at 1.5 million and then valuing Marriot at 6.5 million they can frankly go and do one imo.

3 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I wouldn't mind being a little more in the open as "we have received a bid for player A", but all this "we've had 3 bids" and then a few hours later "it's now 4 bids" etc etc is pathetic. I hope nobody has bid anything stupid and they get stuck with the player tbh. Considering they are moaning at the value of Eisa at 1.5 million and then valuing Marriot at 6.5 million they can frankly go and do one imo.

Haha yeah that last bit is a bit strange.

I hope we don’t sign Marriott at that price, not even sure I’d spend more than 3 million on him so if that means we have to go elsewhere then so be it. 

I guess he’s on a long contract at Peterborough, so why don’t they just keep him and try and get promoted? Clearly they’re eager to sell so there’s probably a deal to be done nearer the end of the window. 

6 minutes ago, eric04 said:

I guess he’s on a long contract at Peterborough, so why don’t they just keep him and try and get promoted? Clearly they’re eager to sell so there’s probably a deal to be done nearer the end of the window. 

Looks and sounds like they’ve already spent the money from the Marriott sale. 

49 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Yes, he isn’t one of the ones where Peterboro’s policy is to transfer list those with one year to go.

I think (like @JasonM88) they are keen to sell, because either Marriott wants to move on or more likely he’s probably at top value, and selling him now funds them for a couple of seasons, or allows them to buy a couple for the future conveyor belt.

Marriott seems happy to be pimped around in the media by what I thought was just the MacAnthony / Fry combo.  But in the photo yesterday, I remembered that their manager is now Steve Evans.  What a perfect trio, they deserve each other.

I doubt anyone has offered anywhere near £6.5m.  Anyone would know that Peterboro over-inflate their prices.

• Like 1

This thread’s been going for so long, it will be funny again if someone posted a photo of the Marriott and saying Marriot spotted in Bristol. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

19 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

This thread’s been going for so long, it will be funny again if someone posted a photo of the Marriott and saying Marriot spotted in Bristol. 

Prefer Costa spotted in Costa 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Peterborough chairman confirmed on Twitter there will be an update “in detail” regarding Marriott tomorrow...

Would we rule Derby out considering they’ve just brought in Wilson and Mount?

I’ve gone a little past caring now though.

9 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Peterborough chairman confirmed on Twitter there will be an update “in detail” regarding Marriott tomorrow...

Great.... can't wait. What are the chances of some cryptic message designed to drive the price up. Absolutely mental. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

In terms of levels of tedium - this is like our ‘kit reveal’ x100 - really couldn’t care less anymore....and all three kits turned out to be rubbish too....

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I think McAnthony thinks Marriott is Gareth Bale

I notice his stupid twitter post with them laughing re Marriott worked well

Pages of peoples replies taking the p out McAnthony and  Steve Evans whale type figure followed

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Is the update that there's been no more offers....? 

5 hours ago, BessexRED said:

There have from Derby but well below the valuation.

This situation is a bit like the housing market , each house is individual, even if the style is the same the location never is.

The seller puts his house on the market at a price that he thinks is correct . He either sells at that price or if no one else meets his valuation he drops it or accepts that he's asking too much and stays put .

Which will Pish do ? ( autocorrection got to love it , I tried to write ' Posh ' ! ) 

Ideal scenario. Posh don’t get their asking price so have to sell for much less and then we nab Eisa from under them, leaving them with £4m burning a hole in their pocket and no strikers! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

This situation is a bit like the housing market , each house is individual, even if the style is the same the location never is.

The seller puts his house on the market at a price that he thinks is correct . He either sells at that price or if no one else meets his valuation he drops it or accepts that he's asking too much and stays put .

Which will Pish do ? ( autocorrection got to love it , I tried to write ' Posh ' ! ) 

Perhaps Posh should use Purple Bricks then?

6 minutes ago, Midred said:

Derby lost 3-1 to Mansfield the other night so they're probably more desperate than city!  :P

If they had won 3-1 would the victory be credited to Frank Lampard's Derby?  :)

• Haha 2

Just seen part of an interview with the Posh owner, he stated that Derby had made 3 bids. 

https://twitter.com/DMAC102?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1020243011580715008&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdcfcfans.uk%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Ftheposhofficial%2Fstatus%2F1020243011580715008

I still don't like how open he is TBH. If he said 'we've received 3 bids from 1 club' I could accept it but naming them is a tad naughty IMHO. I'm sure derby aren't too impressed that they are being mentioned. Maybe he's forcing the hands of others but naming a club is poor in my view.

Are we even interested anymore? I don’t think we have been since Weimann joined. Johnson said he’s interested in bringing 1-2 GKs in but that’s it unless someone leaves

1 minute ago, WRERE said:

Are we even interested anymore? I don’t think we have been since Weimann joined. Johnson said he’s interested in bringing 1-2 GKs in but that’s it unless someone leaves

Yes, but not at the current valuation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BessexRED said:

Yes, but not at the current valuation.

This is the bottom line I think. We don`t think he`s worth what they`re asking and if another club do then good luck to them. If we can get him for £3m then we will I reckon but we won`t let Fry & Co hold a gun to our head over it.

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with this approach.

1 hour ago, WRERE said:

Is that what he actually said?

I thought he said he would be happy to go with what we had if he added 1 or 2 keepers BUT there could be 1 or 2 others.

I'm in agreement that we don't appear to be after Marriott anymore though. 

It would seem that 'Frank Lampards' Derby...........as they will surely be monikerd for the rest of the season, are strong favourites, Frank is a big fan, and has not been shy in letting everyone know that he sees Marriott joining them. Time for our quest to spend some money, to be moving on to other targets.

14 hours ago, maxjak said:

It would seem that 'Frank Lampards' Derby...........as they will surely be monikerd for the rest of the season, are strong favourites, Frank is a big fan, and has not been shy in letting everyone know that he sees Marriott joining them. Time for our quest to spend some money, to be moving on to other targets.

I thought Derby were skint and had to sell Vydra before they could bring anyone in. The two quality loans they already have wont be cheap either

On 16/07/2018 at 17:41, nickolas said:

Actually, I am.

Ask me anything at all about Airedale Terriers.

:yawn:

14 hours ago, maxjak said:

How many times did 'Lamps' play for Derby?

Just now, Major Isewater said:

What league do they play in ?

Not sure - but an adult dog can stand 25 inches at the shoulder.

1 hour ago, westonred said:

I thought Derby were skint and had to sell Vydra before they could bring anyone in. The two quality loans they already have wont be cheap either

Alan Nixon says so, and that Bristol City are “hovering”. So it could still happen if at the last minute Derby don’t have the money and Peterborough decide to accept whatever they can get. No other club mentioned at the moment. But who knows what will happen at Villa now!

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Alan Nixon says so, and that Bristol City are “hovering”. So it could still happen if at the last minute Derby don’t have the money and Peterborough decide to accept whatever they can get. No other club mentioned at the moment. But who knows what will happen at Villa now!

I don't get the Villa thing. Surely they are still in trouble with FFP, and have to sell players, cut the wage bill etc.

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Lampard said recently he expected Vydra to stay. Allegedly Leeds dropped their interest because he kept increasing his wage demands.

I suspect Morris has changed his mind yet again and will bankroll Lampard. Big name managers tend to expect to have big money to spend.