Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Charlie BCFC

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Done a search of Bristol City, BCFC, Bobby Reid, Bristol City Centre and loads of others, can't see anything about a player on Twitter, Link to this anyone ??

2 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Done a search of Bristol City, BCFC, Bobby Reid, Bristol City Centre and loads of others, can't see anything about a player on Twitter, Link to this anyone ??

He's in spain stop wasting your time :laugh:

Just now, INCRED said:

Funny he was at Malaga airport flying back to UK on 4th and was back in his villa on 6th??

He didn't fly back to the UK

I apologise for a moments devilment

• :bonkers:

but don’t blame me

:no:

38 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Can someone make something up, just to liven this thread up a bit?

blame Him 

:laughcont:

Didnt want it too run run too long !!!

0391BE2C-3374-4C23-B6D4-207165A1CF2B.jpeg

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

I find national papers fairly unreliable these days. They seem to often be a day or two behind the curve. Local reporters and just by searching keywords on twitter often gives better sources.

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You've dumbed down the debate quite dramatically there Monkeh.

I've never said Baldock was 'shit'.

@BRISTOL86 claimed 'we have never replaced Baldock and have missed him ever since.'

Clearly unsupportable as we thrived immediately after he left, and have consistently had high scoring strikers in the seasons since in Wilbs, Kodjia, Tammy & Bobby.

Meanwhile he's scored 17 in 3 seasons before he fell out of the picture almost completely on promotion - 5 apps, nought goals.

A good striker at Div.3 level as he showed in the season before he left AG, but higher up than that he becomes increasingly a bit part player and virtual non scorer.

As you've chosen to jump in and take sides against me in this debate with your throwaway comment above perhaps you'd like to take a few moments to explain how exactly Baldock is 'a player we have never replaced and have missed ever since'?

Looking forward to your analysis. Cheers. 

I think the statement was fairly clear Nogs and is supportable by the fact that we haven’t had the same sort of striker on the books since he left (Taylor the closest) and he would have improved any squad we’ve had since.

He’d have been a good foil for Abraham, Kodjia or Reid and I’m sure any of those players would have enjoyed playing against someone who does so much grunt work. 

You don’t rate him, I do. That’s perfectly fine, however I would suggest that the fact that as good a manager as Hughton rates him as an excellent championship player somewhat leans in favour of supporting my argument rather than yours. 

Edited by BRISTOL86

13 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Funny he was at Malaga airport flying back to UK on 4th and was back in his villa on 6th??

Hey Nursey like the beard , mix it up .

Edited by Major Isewater

10 hours ago, Botch Lesnar said:

Are grown men really excited/worried/ any kind of emotions over a football transfer ? :laugh: we all love the close season but in reality it’s the firthest thing from my mind . I  don’t wish to offend but surely if as a fan you’re worrying where a player is holidaying etc etc it’s borderline weird .

Says the person with two references to WWE in their signature !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think the statement was fairly clear Nogs and is supportable by the fact that we haven’t had the same sort of striker on the books since he left (Taylor the closest) and he would have improved any squad we’ve had since.

He’d have been a good foil for Abraham, Kodjia or Reid and I’m sure any of those players would have enjoyed playing against someone who does so much grunt work. 

You don’t rate him, I do. That’s perfectly fine, however I would suggest that the fact that as good a manager as Hughton rates him as an excellent championship player somewhat leans in favour of supporting my argument rather than yours. 

On would also say he feels he is capable to do a job when needed in the Premier League as well, seeing as he gave him a new contract and had he not been injured for much of last season would have been more involved in a team who many felt would go down, but never. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sorry, but to say we 'have never replaced Baldock and have missed him ever since' is laughable. Out of interest, how many times over the past 3 years has someone expressed that view to you at Ashton Gate?

The reason your argument is flawed is due to three little words: Kodjia, Tammy and Bobby. Now you may argue about them all having slightly different attributes and strengths/weaknesses but to all intents and purposes, they have effectively played the same role for us. All three have performed considerably better than Baldock did at this level for us. I believe all three are at least as good, if not better (certainly in the case of Tammy) than Baldock. 

Baldock was ok for us but had a very poor first touch and his propensity to miss easy chances, particularly one-on-one's, was shocking for a striker. Most of us could see that he lacked confidence in front of goal, especially when given time. If you miss him then fine, but I think you might be in a minority of one given the excellent strikers we've been treated to over the past 3 seasons since his departure.

• Like 5

Problem with Baldock was he needed 3 or 4 chances to finish one, and we didn't produce enough chances in a game for him to be fully effective. He would look even worse playing for us now ! 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry, but to say we 'have never replaced Baldock and have missed him ever since' is laughable. Out of interest, how many times over the past 3 years has someone expressed that view to you at Ashton Gate? Irrelevant, the quality of opinion expressed at Ashton Gate is, in the main, utter bollocks. 

The reason your argument is flawed is due to three little words: Kodjia, Tammy and Bobby. Now you may argue about them all having slightly different attributes and strengths/weaknesses but to all intents and purposes, they have effectively played the same role for us. All three have performed considerably better than Baldock did at this level for us. I believe all three are at least as good, if not better (certainly in the case of Tammy) than Baldock. So you're saying all strikers play the same role? Djuric as Reid? Ibrahimovic as Griezmann? I maintain the 'never replaced him/missed him' stance on the evidence of the fact that he would have gotten into every single best match day squad we could name since his departure. 

Baldock was ok for us but had a very poor first touch and his propensity to miss easy chances, particularly one-on-one's, was shocking for a striker. Most of us could see that he lacked confidence in front of goal, especially when given time. If you miss him then fine, but I think you might be in a minority of one given the excellent strikers we've been treated to over the past 3 seasons since his departure. See below and above re comments about how I agree he's not the most natural/clinical striker, in the same way that a great many strikers aren't particularly prolific but are still a big asset to their team.

3 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Problem with Baldock was he needed 3 or 4 chances to finish one, and we didn't produce enough chances in a game for him to be fully effective. He would look even worse playing for us now ! 

I proved at the time that his chance conversion rate was average to good, and actually better than several much bigger name strikers, including high end premier league players. We just created SO much that season that it felt like he was considerably more wasteful than perceived. 

I really can't be arsed to cover (very) old ground that we've been round for weeks and months in the past.

I have no issue with my opinion not being shared by the majority, in fact sometimes I feel it's a compliment! 

• Like 1

Baldock was a fairly average striker to be truthful, for us anyway imo. Didn’t really have the confidence in him as I have done with Tammy, Bobby, Kodjia and even Brett Pitman.

You always had that feeling he would waste chances before eventually scoring.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Baldock was a fairly average striker to be truthful, for us anyway imo. Didn’t really have the confidence in him as I have done with Tammy, Bobby, Kodjia and even Brett Pitman.

You always had that feeling he would waste chances before eventually scoring.

34 goals in 83 appearances is average for us?

30 minutes ago, Sturny said:

34 goals in 83 appearances is average for us?

Wasting your breath. Could have done with a few more as average as he was for us for half a season this year. 

So after 8 pages on whether we are signing Marriott all we know is Sam Baldock wasn't very good?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Super said:

So after 8 pages on whether we are signing Marriott all we know is Sam Baldock wasn't very good?

At least we won't need a new thread for when Marriott goes to Forest, and Baldock is made available by Brighton.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Imo it's ridiculous how people form an opinion of a player based on numbers. It's likely he did a great job for Brighton, as he was involved a lot in a team that got promoted and the fans seemed to rate him.

It really is not a case of 'forming an opinion based on numbers' but where you have such diverging opinions statistics offer a concrete and unbiased addition to back up what is otherwise purely a discussion based on opinions.

They are not an argument in themselves, but useful in so far as it is not just down to whether a poster liked/rated a player or not.

It's interesting to me why anyone would want to dismiss statistics unless they appear to undermine their own argument?

In Baldock's case they show he was a very successful Division Three striker (for a season) at City but has proved either very moderate or out of his depth higher up.

What we all saw with our own eyes at AG - an at times extremely profligate player of often fragile confidence in front of goal - simply isn't good enough higher up, and so it proved in his case with such a measly goal return.

BCFC may have been loath to lose Baldock at the time, but thankfully he proved to be no problem to replace ( and then vastly improve upon) at all hence It's reasonable to conclude we have never missed him one bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Baldock

and a bush baby . Uncanny.

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

You mean the bushbaby is also rubbish at one on ones?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

proved either very moderate or out of his depth higher up.

simply isn't good enough higher up

Manager Chris Hughton added: "We are delighted that Sam has agreed a new deal with us. He has been a key member of the squad since he arrived at the club and this new contract is recognition of his contribution over the last couple of seasons.

"He's also a great professional and a good character in the dressing room, so we are pleased he will be with us for the next few seasons."

Surprised you haven't had a few clubs on the blower Noggers, you clearly have considerably better insight than a very successful manager at this (and higher) level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Shall I start a thread about Baldock, where we can talk about Marriott?

Up to you James, go ahead if you really want to.

Or you could just talk about them both both in this thread where one of Baldock's few admirers unfathomably saw fit to bring him into the discussion so gushingly.

I'm starting to think 'man crush' because frankly the arguments in favour of Baldock being so 'missed' (in a football sense) really are so weak.

I hope if we are  in for this lad then we can match what forest and leeds can pay him. if not then we should not waste our time and move onto players we can afford. I know its the off season but Mark Ashton is very quiet. 

9 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

I hope if we are  in for this lad then we can match what forest and leeds can pay him. if not then we should not waste our time and move onto players we can afford. I know its the off season but Mark Ashton is very quiet. 

We certainly can, whether we will or not is another matter! I like it when Ashton's quiet, frankly, it's so often better than when he speaks!

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

0391BE2C-3374-4C23-B6D4-207165A1CF2B.jpeg

If anyone spots him here.....  Avon Gorge Hotel, ….. keep it quiet, - if his old man finds out there will be hell to pay!

444059_87_z.jpg

Edited by WhistleHappy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It really is not a case of 'forming an opinion based on numbers' but where you have such diverging opinions statistics offer a concrete and unbiased addition to back up what is otherwise purely a discussion based on opinions.

They are not an argument in themselves, but useful in so far as it is not just down to whether a poster liked/rated a player or not.

It's interesting to me why anyone would want to dismiss statistics unless they appear to undermine their own argument?

In Baldock's case they show he was a very successful Division Three striker (for a season) at City but has proved either very moderate or out of his depth higher up.

What we all saw with our own eyes at AG - an at times extremely profligate player of often fragile confidence in front of goal - simply isn't good enough higher up, and so it proved in his case with such a measly goal return.

BCFC may have been loath to lose Baldock at the time, but thankfully he proved to be no problem to replace ( and then vastly improve upon) at all hence It's reasonable to conclude we have never missed him one bit.

The only thing the stats prove is he has not scored as many for Brighton as he did for us. Doesn't mean he couldn't have in a different system. And his lack of goals doesn't prove he played badly. Managers use players in different ways. Maybe his role was not to just score goals at Brighton, but to be more of a team player. 

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The only thing the stats prove is he has not scored as many for Brighton as he did for us. Doesn't mean he couldn't have in a different system. And his lack of goals doesn't prove he played badly. Managers use players in different ways. Maybe his role was not to just score goals at Brighton, but to be more of a team player. 

Wasting your time. 

We've never replaced Billy Wedlock tbh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

We've never replaced Billy Wedlock tbh.

Rubbish. He only scored 17 goals in 403 appearances. What sort of record is that? If he was playing today he would be sent out on loan until he improved 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

God can we start the World Cup now please. Some Utter drivel on here. 

That’s an understatement. Some people can’t have anything better to do than post unfunny comments on here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

God can we start the World Cup now please. Some Utter drivel on here. 

You think the WC is going to stop drivel being posted?

• Like 2

Certainly do James, though I wasn't aware it was new, it looks so right somehow. :whistle2:

Does this mean the romantic honeymoon in the Maldives is off @BRISTOL86 or are you planning to fulfil the once in a lifetime tryst but just with a different partner? ;)

Image result for sam baldock, wiki

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Certainly do James, though I wasn't aware it was new, it looks so right somehow. :whistle2:

Whereas your avatar is of a cantankerous, dastardly git ;) 

Honeymoon is still on but frankly if he stumps up for a water villa and first class flights I’m happy to sub her out. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

In his first season for them they played him left wing iirc and then got injured!

2 hours ago, swanker said:

That’s an understatement. Some people can’t have anything better to do than post unfunny comments on here. 

Some people can’t have anything better to do than spend time complaining about them! Some comments may be unfunny, but 90% of the speculation in the transfer section  is rubbish. Nobody with any sense who really wanted to know what was happening regarding transfers would read the forum. It’s a form of entertainment. Don’t mock the jokes, as Martin Luther King jr said:

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.”

4 hours ago, swanker said:

Not just unfunny but rehashed from about 7 years ago. If anyone on here seriously thinks that any reference to the gorge hotel / Alan curbishley etc is funny then go have a good hard stare in that mirror lads . Your life has no purpose :disapointed2se:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

How often do we ever beat the likes of Forest or Leeds in a battle to sign a player. As soon as you see that you can be pretty sure we will lose out. I presume the foreign market is where we would look again.

I think this is a load of Bull would Barry Fry really come out and say which club a player favours it sounds like fake news to me. Iam still looking on the positives his old physio at Ipswich congratulated him and hash-tagged BCFC. He seemed to fly out of Malaga earlier this week (Hopefully to Lulsgate) returning to Mijas a day later to carry on his Holiday so fingers x'd he's coming to BS3