IGNORED

Bristol Sport - Job Ad

54-46

15 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Now, I appreciate I am the wrong side of 40 and been in the same line of work since leaving school.

Haven’t had to apply for a job for a good few years, but this ad for a job as a Brand Manager would leave me floundering.

Seems like one for David Brent to me. 

D2B851E5-234B-4DFC-B1B5-2E50EB699F5D.jpeg

I find it hard to take seriously, an outfit that has a flying fanny for a corporate logo.

2 hours ago, gornagain said:

I can imagine a bunch of farmers at the end of the stone age trying to understand the words used when some guy came along and tried to get people to dig into the hills for copper and tin.

This kind of job advert weeds out the unqualified effectively. if you don't understand the words (and that includes me) there is no need to apply.

Nowadays players don't train for 2 hours and spend the rest of the day in the pub. For better or for worse the world has changed.

Sorry, can’t agree. Anyone who claims to understand that made up nonsense is bordering on unemployable. Not all change is for the better and inventing self-aggrandising job titles with made-up duties and accountabilities is a relly good example.

Plain English

- we want someone to add some new products to the Bristol Sport empire

- these products have to make a profit

- you will be accountable for identifying the new brands and making a profit out of them - legally, honestly and truthfully.

3 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Sorry, can’t agree. Anyone who claims to understand that made up nonsense is bordering on unemployable. Not all change is for the better and inventing self-aggrandising job titles with made-up duties and accountabilities is a relly good example.

Plain English

- you will be accountable for identifying the new brands and making a profit out of them - legally, honestly and truthfully.

Yup, why use 500 words when 50 will do. I guess the school of thought is that sounds clever and important. As far as I’m concerned the exact opposite is the case.

Job for Cotts?   (Don't we by law have to post that every time any kind of vacancy is mentioned)

TBH it looks like dozens of marketing jobs I've seen advertised in a variety of different companies. We may think "BBB" but that's the jargon those folk use. Every profession has got its own. I was in the Army a very long time ago, and there are guys there who speak jargon 24/7.

2 hours ago, RonWalker said:

The issue is when they become solely focused on this and lose touch of actually looking after their fans. Does the word "brand" make you think of something inclusive, ethical and trustworthy? 

Before anyone says I'm dragging my feet, maybe I am, but the club should be looking to do more than just deliver "brand positioning" to convince fans to part with their cash. The way we've gone about things for years, and this, could co-exist. But Lansdown Jnr doesn't believe that's true.

It's just the way it's going tbh. Agree with a decent chunk of what you say but a quick look at https://www.jobsinfootball.com/find-job?search_string=marketing&search_location=, will suggest it's increasingly commonplace.

Tend to agree with @Red-Robbo on the jargon thing too.

38 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Plain English

I'd suggest there's more too it than that tbh, though I agree it's overdone. Applicants will be expected to make use of Google Analytics, Adwords and the rest listed (heard of the first 2, the rest not so much).

People won't like this point, but football is increasingly a business. Better or worse, it just is- basically it's now in a variety of respects a group of businesses competing and those with similar income etc? The best run businesses tend to come out the best.

More the football side, but have a lunchtime read of https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/09/premier-league-football-clubs-computer-analysts-managers-data-winning 

Or this. https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/06/how-spreadsheet-wielding-geeks-are-taking-over-football

Got to be the worst job advert in the world.  Can't we just keep this thread as a Bill Hicks tribute?  Just watched about 20 minutes of his clips thanks to this thread.

On a side note, because of that advert, I now have a hatred for Bristol Sport?  Is that a bit strange?

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Got to be the worst job advert in the world.  Can't we just keep this thread as a Bill Hicks tribute?  Just watched about 20 minutes of his clips thanks to this thread.

On a side note, because of that advert, I now have a hatred for Bristol Sport?  Is that a bit strange?

Worse examples available here:  https://www.coburgbanks.co.uk/blog/friday-funnies/10-of-the-worst-job-adverts-youll-ever-see/

19 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

"Ensuring new brands are embedded in the organisation, creating buy in from colleagues and customers"

Can someone with an A-Level in business speak please let me know what this means, and if it's as sinister as it reads.

Degree level. Now let's translate...

'Embedded' is a lovely little buzzword in a business context as it implies it is part of the 'core' of the organization itself, and not just seen as something on the side and therefore potentially considered as 'not important'. Used a lot for environmental and corporate social responsibility positions in organisations, to try and show people that they are taking it seriously. 'Buy in' is easy- basically it means that they like it enough to purchase things related to it.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's just the way it's going tbh. Agree with a decent chunk of what you say but a quick look at https://www.jobsinfootball.com/find-job?search_string=marketing&search_location=, will suggest it's increasingly commonplace.

Tend to agree with @Red-Robbo on the jargon thing too.

I'd suggest there's more too it than that tbh, though I agree it's overdone. Applicants will be expected to make use of Google Analytics, Adwords and the rest listed (heard of the first 2, the rest not so much).

People won't like this point, but football is increasingly a business. Better or worse, it just is- basically it's now in a variety of respects a group of businesses competing and those with similar income etc? The best run businesses tend to come out the best.

More the football side, but have a lunchtime read of https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/09/premier-league-football-clubs-computer-analysts-managers-data-winning 

Or this. https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/06/how-spreadsheet-wielding-geeks-are-taking-over-football

No, that’s the HOW not the WHAT. In an effective and well-managed organisation you pay good people to be accountable for specific things. Outside of the parameters of legality, honesty and the ethics of your organisation you don’t tell them how to do it, that’s supervision not management.

... today’s job is ‘Graphic Designer’

Job purpose is to help deliver the best stadium customer experience.

Hoping any day we will get the ‘Brickie’ advert... to add a few concrete blocks to the concourse wall so I can rest my pint on them while munching on the (rather good) pasties. 

The graphic designer can then paint them white and my stadium experience will then be perfect. 

It's for Bristol Sport though, not just BCFC- I assume so anyway.

Clearly a push for growth etc.

Don't think a company (it's a club really) with a turnover of £21.2m is all that relatively small tbh.

I think we are playing catch-up, off the pitch as well as on the pitch hence the accelerated push, the hurry to build this side of things up- hence the high number of advertisements.

According to Indeed, the salary for this Brand Manager job which inspired the thread is £32-38k (assuming the differential based on experience, bonus potential etc).

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's for Bristol Sport though, not just BCFC- I assume so anyway

I was surprised at the number of "senior" roles that were being advertised as they appeared to have people in the role before. 

More than more interesting position there, but a massive concern seems to be the high level of attrition 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I was surprised at the number of "senior" roles that were being advertised as they appeared to have people in the role before. 

More than more interesting position there, but a massive concern seems to be the high level of attrition 

Yeah, the attrition rate is a worry for sure. Could be down to many things though- without generalising, my generation (at least where I work) seem quite impatient and in a way keen to push on or similar- onto the next one (by which I mean job, higher wage, opportunity whatever), onto the next one etc- I definitely won't go into any examples as you never know who might be reading it :laughcont: however only 2 or 3 of the Marketing team in my company has remained since I joined 2 years and a few months back- things have expanded and contracted but it's a big old churn. Or maybe they are leaving Bristol Sport due to wages- or perhaps not hitting targets, could be many reasons which we can only surmise about tbh. Or perhaps they are even building the senior management team in numbers as part of the expansion- though Adam Baker and his departure is a powerful counter-argument to that.

On 4 June 2018 at 23:42, BanburyRed said:

What complete and utter bollocks! Sorry it just is. If you have to keep using the term 'brand' in almost every sentence then something has gone seriously wrong. A job for Russell Brand perhaps?

All words and waffle, no real substance required. First job would be to sack the vacancy writer and 'actively employ them to best optimisation in other areas of the business'....

Brand in upper and lower case? Dreadful.

How much did we pay a Branding expert to write the ad?

16 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

From the Ground Staff advert:

What we are looking for?     
  • Previous experience working in a similar environment is desirable, however full training can be given if required.
  • Operational tractor driving is desirable
  • Ideally will have NVQ2 or above in Sports turf
  • Ideally, a passion for the sporting industry
  • An ambition to provide nothing less than perfect
Made me chuckle

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

From the Ground Staff advert:

What we are looking for?     
  • Previous experience working in a similar environment is desirable, however full training can be given if required.
  • Operational tractor driving is desirable
  • Ideally will have NVQ2 or above in Sports turf
  • Ideally, a passion for the sporting industry
  • An ambition to provide nothing less than perfect
Made me chuckle

******* typical stereotyping, eh?

Why didn’t they also put “must like cider”..

Archived