IGNORED

Bristol Sport - Job Ad

54-46

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I

@RedM Assume it stands for Brand Profit & Loss- however as a concept, that makes little sense to me.

Obviously its supposed to mean Profit & Loss.

As per my original question, what the **** does this look like???!!!

Brand P&L. It's absurd.

You could be the man for the job....

BS could do with a 'bright spark' someone who's down to 'earth', a 'live wire' with excellent 'connections, a perfectly fitting plug for the corporate socket... Well versed in 'consumer units', not con'fused' by the ying and yang of the positives and negatives within the 'conduit' of the brand. 

:yawn:  

@Lew - T (damn, meant to quote you, but I 'blew it' .. 

50 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm a critic of Bristol Sport, but like it or not (I don't much like it) the game is generally heading this way.

We have aspirations to be bigger than we are, so we are going down this road. Become a lot less a sport, a lot more a business last 30 years tbh...however Brand P&L is complete- well does that even exist??

However, they are applying pure business and marketing principles to football- which works up to a point, but in terms of market share etc for the level we are at? Nah. Pointless (Now if we're talking clubs with a big national, European or even global reach then things start to change but not Bristol City in the Championship)...

@RedM Assume it stands for Brand Profit & Loss- however as a concept, that makes little sense to me.

Thank you, shows I haven’t got a clue as I’m not fluent in Waffle Baffle. I will withdraw my application. 

Brand? What Brand? I thought we are a sports organisation. A holding company, Bristol Sport and lots of sporting clubs underneath.

I can speak English, French, German and Portuguese. Can cope with written Spanish and Italian and can sing the Welsh anthem.

But opportunities to learn Outer Mongolian are a bit limited at our U3A (Posh new name for OAP's).

I hereby declare my interest in a job with BS as a "Light Transmission Operative" when the vacancy arises. I do need a new ladder to be fully equipped for the job!

I can imagine a bunch of farmers at the end of the stone age trying to understand the words used when some guy came along and tried to get people to dig into the hills for copper and tin.

This kind of job advert weeds out the unqualified effectively. if you don't understand the words (and that includes me) there is no need to apply.

Nowadays players don't train for 2 hours and spend the rest of the day in the pub. For better or for worse the world has changed.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A family friend interviewed for BS not long ago. Worst HR experience they’ve had; BS attempted to rearrange the interview 10 mins before it was scheduled, didn’t reply to follow up emails and generally behaved very unprofessionally. 

I can top that, I know of someone that actually arrived that had been missed off the list of being rearranged

Knowing how many "decent / experienced" members of staff that have left / been pushed over the past few years, I would be very concerned about how high the staff turnover is for a company that let's be fair isn't really that big in the business world.

12 minutes ago, gornagain said:

I can imagine a bunch of farmers at the end of the stone age trying to understand the words used when some guy came along and tried to get people to dig into the hills for copper and tin.

This kind of job advert weeds out the unqualified effectively. if you don't understand the words (and that includes me) there is no need to apply.

Nowadays players don't train for 2 hours and spend the rest of the day in the pub. For better or for worse the world has changed.

Point in bold is irrelevant here. True but irrelevant.

The issue I and many others have with it is it's largely just buzzwords and symptomatic of many of the perceived problems at BS. How many season tickets go in to funding some Oxbridge **** being our 'brand manager', and do we actually need someone to 'create new brand positioning' or 'create buy in from consumers'?

What that screams to me then, if we accept your second paragraph, is that we're hiring people well versed in corporate speak and weasel words. Again, something that definitely does not create 'buy in'.

Could be a clever recruitment tactic by BS...

Enabling them to quickly dismiss all initial respondents to this job ad, as NOT the sort of bull shitty, corporate speaking, defective DNA up their own arse local ***** that they definitely don't want in the organisation.

Therefore, having sorted out much of the chaff already with a spoof job ad,  the eventual drawing up of a short list will be much easier from applicants to the follow-up ad featuring the real job description which will be appearing shortly.

(Clever barstewards, down The Gate now mind, I can see what they've done here :thumbsup:)  

It’s so piss poor it’s actually funny. Reads like something that Chris Morris would write as a spoof. And the grammar? Wow! BS really shouldn’t be letting stuff like this out if it wants to improve it’s B(b)rand! 

26 minutes ago, Pongosmate said:

Win football matches and the brand takes care of itself . Lose football matches then you have to convince the fans to buy merchandise .

But one can only buy merchandise like shirts and clothing if it's in stock. Bris fans also not too happy that very little clothing available especially as Bris Rugby have now reBRANDed as the Bristol Bears. There's that word Brand again!

13 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Now, I appreciate I am the wrong side of 40 and been in the same line of work since leaving school.

Haven’t had to apply for a job for a good few years, but this ad for a job as a Brand Manager would leave me floundering.

Seems like one for David Brent to me. 

D2B851E5-234B-4DFC-B1B5-2E50EB699F5D.jpeg

That takes buzz word bingo to a new level. Utter tosh.

• Admin

“Line managing the brand executives”...... how many of them are there?   I must admit I can only add my agreement to those who have called this out as bollocks,  Brand P&L - I can only assume if you don’t show a profit on the P&L you’ll be out of the door!

I reckon I could do it, but they couldn’t afford me.  Wonder what the salary is like and how much is bonus based on the P&L.

25 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Could be a clever recruitment tactic by BS...

Enabling them to quickly dismiss all initial respondents to this job ad, as NOT the sort of bull shitty, corporate speaking, defective DNA up their own arse local ***** that they definitely don't want in the organisation.

Therefore, having sorted out much of the chaff already with a spoof job ad,  the eventual drawing up of a short list will be much easier from applicants to the follow-up ad featuring the real job description which will be appearing shortly.

(Clever barstewards, down The Gate now mind, I can see what they've done here :thumbsup:)  

It is more than likely that the specification has been written with one person in mind who will just happen to know the correct response to every requirement

13 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

“Line managing the brand executives”...... how many of them are there?   I must admit I can only add my agreement to those who have called this out as bollocks,  Brand P&L - I can only assume if you don’t show a profit on the P&L you’ll be out of the door!

I reckon I could do it, but they couldn’t afford me.  Wonder what the salary is like and how much is bonus based on the P&L.

Just read the whole job ad- you're probably right about the pay and bonus thing (always interesting when no salary listed on Job ad), as well as the P&L profit thing, but a 'Background in sporting' (sloppily written incidentally) is definitely deemed desirable on the full ad so that would rule a lot out- probably aimed at someone from another club with experience of a similar role. Still if you have sufficient experience etc, given it's deemed to be a 'Desirable' maybe it would be overlooked.

OK I understand those putting forward the argument about how football has changed and City need to change with it, but I have two issues with what is happening to our club (1) The whole concept of BS which has well less than 100% focus on BCFC .  I still believe this will have long term negative impact on  BCFC, and (2) The whole amateur way BS and thus BCFC are being managed.  Having managed a business with in excess of a thousand people I believe I could cut something like 60% of the infrastructure staff and using their salaries offer proper remuneration to a smaller workforce who would be professionals at their jobs, plus I think I could still come our with a cash saving at the end of it.

If only I and other fans with relevant management experience plus Adam Baker could be given a week to cleanse the Augean stables that BS and BCFC have become.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm a critic of Bristol Sport, but like it or not (I don't much like it) the game is generally heading this way.

We have aspirations to be bigger than we are, so we are going down this road. Become a lot less a sport, a lot more a business last 30 years tbh...however Brand P&L is complete- well does that even exist??

However, they are applying pure business and marketing principles to football- which works up to a point, but in terms of market share etc for the level we are at? Nah. Pointless (Now if we're talking clubs with a big national, European or even global reach then things start to change but not Bristol City in the Championship)...

The issue is when they become solely focused on this and lose touch of actually looking after their fans. Does the word "brand" make you think of something inclusive, ethical and trustworthy? 

Before anyone says I'm dragging my feet, maybe I am, but the club should be looking to do more than just deliver "brand positioning" to convince fans to part with their cash. The way we've gone about things for years, and this, could co-exist. But Lansdown Jnr doesn't believe that's true.

Archived