IGNORED

Pep and Yaya...

spudski

makes me think YaYa is off on one again, its just another in a long line of outbursts from him,

He wasn't being picked because he wasn't as good as he use to be, he was poor when he played against us,

I mean Pep must have a massive problem with africans because its not as if he's about to spend 75 million plus on an algeran (which is in africa)  

1 minute ago, spudski said:

....interesting article, which makes you think of a lot of questions...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/04/yaya-toure-pep-guardiola-manchester-city-break-myth

Surprised this wasn't on here last night when it was all over twitter.

Certainly is interesting, experienced professional like Yaya Toure, who despite the stuff about birthday cakes, you wouldn't have though would be the sort to make such a statement lightly. 

If I were Toure though I'd be asking myself why he thinks Pep's not picked a team with 5 Africans in it. Is it because there are more quality European, South American, and Asian players or is it genuinely down to racism?

Yaya loves an overreaction.

Obviously bitter over the situation he's found himself in now his legs have started to go. De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Silva are all better than him. 

I expect he'll regret these comments a few years down the line. 

Think the bloke is ever so slightly delusional about his importance and ability. Undoubtedly a very very good player but he only seemed to turn it on when he felt like it and he was massively lazy in a lot of games. How could he expect to be in the City team with those ‘attributes’? Comparing himself to Buffon and Iniesta also makes me laugh, he was nowhere near that level if you ask me. He could’ve moved on the last few summers (Inter were massively interested iirc) but he evidently wanted to keep the money he was on which wouldn’t have been matched elsewhere. Can’t have it both ways. Sounds like sour grapes to me. 

Taking away any personal agenda by Yaya...the quote that got me thinking was this one...

Pep likes to dominate and wants to have obedient players who lick his hands,” said Touré. “I do not like this kind of relationship. I respect my coach but I am not his thing. Like all players I have bickered with my coaches. But at a certain point men who do not understand each other reconcile. This is not possible with Pep, who is very rigid. The other players will never admit it publicly but some have already told me that they ended up hating him. Because he manipulates and plays a lot with your head.”

It's an interesting insight from a Professional footballer.

As a manager or coach, I often think the what you want from a player is trust, belief in what you are doing, and 100% commitment.

It's a bit like being an officer at War, and getting your men to die for you and the 'belief'.

You don't want someone in the heat of the battle questioning things...you want a belief and commitment to do as you've been asked....to run through brick walls for you.

So many scenarios happen during coaching when you have Professionals questioning what you are asking.

Perhaps what Yaa is missing in his last sentence about 'messing with your head', is that maybe a good thing to win games as a Professional footballer.

Outside of football maybe differently...but you need belief, commitment etc to win games.

44 minutes ago, lenred said:

Think the bloke is ever so slightly delusional about his importance and ability. Undoubtedly a very very good player but he only seemed to turn it on when he felt like it and he was massively lazy in a lot of games. How could he expect to be in the City team with those ‘attributes’? Comparing himself to Buffon and Iniesta also makes me laugh, he was nowhere near that level if you ask me. He could’ve moved on the last few summers (Inter were massively interested iirc) but he evidently wanted to keep the money he was on which wouldn’t have been matched elsewhere. Can’t have it both ways. Sounds like sour grapes to me. 

Oh he's a buffoon alright.

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

Taking away any personal agenda by Yaya...the quote that got me thinking was this one...

Pep likes to dominate and wants to have obedient players who lick his hands,” said Touré. “I do not like this kind of relationship. I respect my coach but I am not his thing. Like all players I have bickered with my coaches. But at a certain point men who do not understand each other reconcile. This is not possible with Pep, who is very rigid. The other players will never admit it publicly but some have already told me that they ended up hating him. Because he manipulates and plays a lot with your head.”

As a manager or coach, I often think the what you want from a player is trust, belief in what you are doing, and 100% commitment.

It's a bit like being an officer at War, and getting your men to die for you and the 'belief'.

You don't want someone in the heat of the battle questioning things...you want a belief and commitment to do as you've been asked....to run through brick walls for you.

So many scenarios happen during coaching when you have Professionals questioning what you are asking.

Perhaps what Yaa is missing in his last sentence about 'messing with your head', is that maybe a good thing to win games as a Professional footballer.

Outside of football maybe differently...but you need belief, commitment etc to win games.

This all explains why Pep has never won anything in his career.

:yes:

• Admin

In the interview Yaya seems to accept it's not to do with colour of skin as naturalized Africans dont count. It's more attitudinal. Seems like LJ isn't the only one who doesn't like Mavericks in his squad. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Comparing himself to Buffon and Iniesta also makes me laugh, he was nowhere near that level if you ask me.

They are club legends. Iniesta spent his whole career to date at Barca, and Buffon has played over 500 games for Juve in the last 17 years. 

Toure, although has done wonders at Man City, shouldn't of been expecting the same send off like he is. He thought he'd have everyone wearing his shirt number etc, the same as Birthday Cake saga. And his ego is the main reasons behind these comments.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Sounds like Alex Ferguson at Man Utd and his "hairdryer" approach to anyone who didn't do what they were told.  And as you say that also worked.

Apparently Gordon Strachan had a similar resistance to being told what to do by Ferguson.

Might be something in that- Ibrahimovic had issues with Pep, perhaps something similar?

Racism? Nah, can't see it. The reason he didn't start so much for Barcelona was because Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta in their pomp- all that needs to be said.

At Man City under Pep, ageing by now and their current midfield 3 works so well, then Gundogan next in line that he's always going to struggle a tad for gametime...

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Sounds like Alex Ferguson at Man Utd and his "hairdryer" approach to anyone who didn't do what they were told.  And as you say that also worked.

Apparently Gordon Strachan had a similar resistance to being told what to do by Ferguson.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Might be something in that- Ibrahimovic had issues with Pep, perhaps something similar?

Racism? Nah, can't see it. The reason he didn't start so much for Barcelona was because Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta in their pomp- all that needs to be said.

At Man City under Pep, ageing by now and their current midfield 3 works so well, then Gundogan next in line that he's always going to struggle a tad for gametime...

I get what you're saying...but AF is a very astute man manager, not just a hairdryer...he used that when needed, but his actual man management skills are immense.

As for Ibra...or any 'maverick'...it all comes down to risk and reward. You need to allow a player to express themselves when they can, but also do the donkey work when needed and not let their team mates down.

It's when things are going wrong the 'mavericks' show their class in all aspects of the game and as people.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I get what you're saying...but AF is a very astute man manager, not just a hairdryer...he used that when needed, but his actual man management skills are immense.

As for Ibra...or any 'maverick'...it all comes down to risk and reward. You need to allow a player to express themselves when they can, but also do the donkey work when needed and not let their team mates down.

It's when things are going wrong the 'mavericks' show their class in all aspects of the game and as people.

I don't really agree with that.  He had a string of high profile players leave with bad grace - Staam, Beckham, Ronaldo - and the core of his team were the half dozen that came through the youth programme together and knew nothing else. The only "difficult" player he really dealt with was Keane and he was more like a lieutenant for Ferguson.

If he does not buy into the methodology, is not integrated into the approach he, or anybody would have to be an exceptional human being for this not to affect their performance.

Looking at players at Barcelona, the great, and the team at its peak the players are integrated to a degree that the approach Is internalised Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets were part of a machine - They sacrifice themselves to the team and its methodology. 

Archived