IGNORED

WEDLOCK WALL BRICKS - Is it a hut? (Merged)

NickJ

1 minute ago, tomo said:

Few more examples - all not brilliant but alot better than our HUT!

liverpool.jpg

ross.jpg

reading.jpg

The Reading one is what I genuinely thought we would be getting. Would be more than happy with that on the inside of one of the concourse.

I genuinely cannot understated what BS are doing with such a cheap and nasty proposal. Surely plonking cheap tiles on a hut this just damages the high quality look and feel of the stadium ?

I'd like my money back, nit cause I'm bothered about the £55 - its just that I think I have unwittingly contributed to something that's embarrassing and that makes Ashton Gate looks worse.

Whats more when my 2 year old son is old enough to see it, he's not going to be bursting with pride and feel compelled to be a City fan for life - which was the whole sodding point !!!

1 hour ago, Blagdon red said:

Just to add to what Dolly has said, the delay has been largely down to difficulty in gathering content for the book. The idea is that it should be a collection of fans' memories of Atyeo and other City greats / experiences at pre-redevelopment AG. The number of stories contributed to date has, however, been insufficient to proceed. We'll be considering again tonight how we can address that. As always, the meeting is open to any fan wanting to attend (7.30pm in the SC&T bar, which is upstairs in the Sports Bar).

Not enough content?   Surely you had two great opportunities to collect stories ,firstly at the original unvieling of the statue back in 2016.And secondly at the 25th Anniversary of the great man's death last year..

I can't imagine it being that difficult as there were 100's of fans ,family and ex team mates in attendance.

• Admin
33 minutes ago, tomo said:

reading.jpg

This was what I thought I was getting for my ££

11 minutes ago, tomo said:

You may want to add the following to the agenda:-

10. Is The New Wedlock Wall a Form of Art?

@Dollymarie certainly feels like this is just the start of the rumblings and it may be of use for the SC&T to get ahead of more complaints from those who witness it on Saturday

34 minutes ago, big p said:

Not enough content?   Surely you had two great opportunities to collect stories ,firstly at the original unvieling of the statue back in 2016.And secondly at the 25th Anniversary of the great man's death last year..

I can't imagine it being that difficult as there were 100's of fans ,family and ex team mates in attendance.

I'm not sure you understand how long it takes to get content for a book pal.

It's not a quick 5 minute chat at the unveiling of the statue. You want to sit for hours, pull out the best stories, paint the best pictures. 

The book needs rich content and depth. It's not a book of congratulations at a wedding, with just short 5 sentence pieces. 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

From reading this thread it's not the £55 that people have a problem with.  From the number that have bought a "brick" it's clear that people were happy to pay that price.

However, the problem has arisen because what was eventually presented was not a wall made of bricks but instead seems to be a display of small plaques stuck on to an existing wall.  This is despite the club's own words: "The bricks will form of [sic] the new Wedlock Wall in the Fan Village this summer." and "High-quality black gloss granite bricks will form the new wall" (source: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/last-chance-to-buy-your-wedlock-wall-brick/).

For me the key words in that sales pitch are "bricks" and "new wall". What has been erected is neither made of bricks nor constitutes a new wall.

Wonder what trading standards would have to say about it. 

18 hours ago, tomo said:

Another Reply...This Time From Our Supporter Liaison Officer - Matt Parsons

Hi David,

Thanks for your email.

As you know, the original “Buy a Brick” scheme that started in 2005 was for a Wall of Fame to help raise funds for the redevelopment of the old East End. When those plans were put on hold the names were published on a ‘roll of honour’ in the Dolman Exhibition Hall in the form of plaques. It was important to honour the fans who had previously purchased bricks in the original scheme and the team at Ashton Gate agreed to find  a suitable location.

When the location was confirmed by Ashton Gate Ltd, the opportunity was there to add additional names to the wall. The announcement of the additional “bricks”  confirmed the positioning of the Wedlock Wall, stating that it would be on the approach from Winterstoke Road down to Marina Dolman Way, just yards from the iconic Atyeo Statue. Furthermore imagery of what the brick would look like was shown on the website.

Many stadiums call these installations  “buy a brick” schemes but more than often they are in fact plaques that are either put onto walls or placed on floors. If you look at what other clubs charge they are anything between £60 (West Ham) and £100 (Rotherham) everything was done to ensure we costs were kept at a minimum for fans.

Your feedback has been noted and has been passed back to the team at Ashton Gate.

Kind Regards

Matt

Didn't take him long to start toeing the party line after such initial promise.

To me it sounds like he is just another Bristol Sport employee. 

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Wonder what trading standards would have to say about it. 

I was re-reading the Consumer Rights Act 2015 over lunch. I'd say there could be a breach of s.13 'Correspondence with description' of that. I didn't buy a brick myself but to me, what has been put up is neither a brick, nor a 'new wall'. If what is on the website is the only terms - i.e. there were not further specific t's & c's to read during the purchase process, then I'd say it's worth at least lobbing a statutory reference into any email to the club.

42 minutes ago, Selred said:

I'm not sure you understand how long it takes to get content for a book pal.

It's not a quick 5 minute chat at the unveiling of the statue. You want to sit for hours, pull out the best stories, paint the best pictures. 

The book needs rich content and depth. It's not a book of congratulations at a wedding, with just short 5 sentence pieces. 

Firstly I'm not your "Pal"

Secondly this has been 3/4 years in the making so I guess this isn't not enough time ,so I'm really looking forward to the quality of the  book.

Thirdly ,i apologise to yourself for questioning a project of which I was told I would receive the book, wiiithin six months of handing over £100 my hard earned cash.

19 minutes ago, big p said:

Firstly I'm not your "Pal"

Secondly this has been 3/4 years in the making so I guess this isn't not enough time ,so I'm really looking forward to the quality of the  book.

Thirdly ,i apologise to yourself for questioning a project of which I was told I would receive the book within six months of handing over £100 my hard earned cash.

I have a plaque, and I think it's absolutely fantastic on the statue. The book is a nice to have, but just being able to see my family name as I walk into the ground is well worth the money.

Yes, it's been slow with the book, and yes they have also been slow with updates. But you also have to remember that the SC&T are not paid for their roles, and it's their free time.

Why don't you attend the meeting tonight, and maybe you could ask if you can proactively help with collating the stories? 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

This was what I thought I was getting for my ££

@Dollymarie certainly feels like this is just the start of the rumblings and it may be of use for the SC&T to get ahead of more complaints from those who witness it on Saturday

I would certainly recommend it is added to the agenda for this evening!

...and the Club admit they have cocked up on this one as soon as possible!

hut
hʌt/
noun

1. 1.
    a small, simple, single-storey house or shelter.
    "a beach hut"
    synonyms: shack, shanty, cabin, log cabin, shelter, shed, lean-to, den, hovel; 
    bothy, shieling, shiel; 
    cabana; 
    tilt; 
    hok; 
    gunyah, mia-mia, humpy; 
    whare; 
    hogan, wickiup; 
    favela;
    archaicshebang

2 minutes ago, tomo said:

I would certainly recommend it is added to the agenda for this evening!

...and the Club admit they have cocked up on this one as soon as possible!

hut
hʌt/
noun

1. 1.
    a small, simple, single-storey house or shelter.
    "a beach hut"
    synonyms: shack, shanty, cabin, log cabin, shelter, shed, lean-to, den, hovel; 
    bothy, shieling, shiel; 
    cabana; 
    tilt; 
    hok; 
    gunyah, mia-mia, humpy; 
    whare; 
    hogan, wickiup; 
    favela;
    archaicshebang

Tomo mate. I'm going on Saturday to have a look. If its as bad as it sounds/looks from on here I think we need to get some form of collective complaint going.

Individual whines on here will not be  enough to engage BS and we'll need to bring a form of 'group action' to focus minds.

Would also imagine that this could generate some nice easy content/clicks for the Post as well....

3 minutes ago, red'tili'mdead said:

Tomo mate. I'm going on Saturday to have a look. If its as bad as it sounds/looks from on here I think we need to get some form of collective complaint going.

Individual whines on here will not be  enough to engage BS and we'll need to bring a form of 'group action' to focus minds.

Would also imagine that this could generate some nice easy content/clicks for the Post as well....

It'll have to come from the Supporters Trust & Club, Bristol Sport won't give a flying f if it comes from anyone else

…..and another thing,  despite arguments of the value for money quality of 'bricks' / plaques/ 'wall' etc 

WTF does this disgrace say about the esteem a club legend is currently held in since we've gone all corporate?

Mr Wedlock's memory once merited a whole stand named after him, surely if you are going to name something in honour of a legend you'd be wanting to do it properly and whole heartedly ? Somethng I'm sure all those supporters who bought 'bricks' imagined they were buying into.  

This verges more on almost an insult rather than a genuinely heartfelt tribute to a historical club great.

(PS.. who gives a shit what the likes of Rotherham or the Gas might feel acceptable? )

We BCFC should be better than this!   

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

It'll have to come from the Supporters Trust & Club, Bristol Sport won't give a flying f if it comes from anyone else

I'm sure your right. However they might do if we highlight he fact hat they are clearly in breach of S.13 of the Sales of Goods Act - as what has been delivered to date, clearly does not meet the description.

S.13  (1) Where there is a contract for the sale of goods by description, there is an implied term that the goods will correspond with the description.

Not a huge amount of trouble or risk, to file such a claim form in the Small Claims Court and see what view a judge takes. Am sure it would be fairly embarrassing for BS having to publicly justify that they delivered something that met the initial description....

Just now, red'tili'mdead said:

I'm sure your right. However they might do if we highlight he fact hat they are clearly in breach of S.13 of the Sales of Goods Act - as what has been delivered to date, clearly does not meet the description.

S.13  (1) Where there is a contract for the sale of goods by description, there is an implied term that the goods will correspond with the description.

Not a huge amount of trouble or risk, to file such a claim form in the Small Claims Court and see what view a judge takes. Am sure it would be fairly embarrassing for BS having to publicly justify that they delivered something that met the initial description....

oh i agree wit the sentiment, but Bristol Sport have been trying to get rid of fan engagement and groups as they see them as an inconvenience  @Dollymarie is better placed to explain it then me,

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

oh i agree wit the sentiment, but Bristol Sport have been trying to get rid of fan engagement and groups as they see them as an inconvenience  @Dollymarie is better placed to explain it then me,

Cheers Monkeh. I'm aware from various discussions on here, that is unfortunately the case.

Really cannot understand BS's attitude to fan engagement, as issues like this fiasco could and should be easily avoided.

BS attitude is why I mentioned filing a claim form if its (a) its as bad in the flesh as it looks and (b) other fans feel the same. As once claim forms are filed they are pretty hard to ignore.

For the avoidance I couldn't care less about the £££ - I just want the 'Wall' to be in keeping with the rest of Ashton Gate and something that the fans, the club and my son (!?!) can be proud of....

15 minutes ago, red'tili'mdead said:

Cheers Monkeh. I'm aware from various discussions on here, that is unfortunately the case.

Really cannot understand BS's attitude to fan engagement, as issues like this fiasco could and should be easily avoided.

BS attitude is why I mentioned filing a claim form if its (a) its as bad in the flesh as it looks and (b) other fans feel the same. As once claim forms are filed they are pretty hard to ignore.

For the avoidance I couldn't care less about the £££ - I just want the 'Wall' to be in keeping with the rest of Ashton Gate and something that the fans, the club and my son (!?!) can be proud of....

The Customer Charter has been updated to remove reference to the FAN meetings they held.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/supporter-guides/club-charter/

Worried they ain't GDPR compliant mind!

It never ceases to amaze me how our club can make itself look so ‘small time’ every now and again when it seems easier to do the opposite. This ‘Wall’ is hideous....the very reason I didn’t purchase a ‘brick’ is because I just knew the end product would be a disaster - plaques stuck on the side of a hut...good grief...

(And we couldn’t even get Atyeo’s stats correct on the plaque under his statue...and to compound the embarrassment they contradicted the stats showing on the big screens on the day it was uneveiled and the days thereafter...)

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

(And we couldn’t even get Atyeo’s stats correct on the plaque under his statue...and to compound the embarrassment they contradicted the stats showing on the big screens on the day it was uneveiled and the days thereafter...)

What is wrong with the stat on the Atyeo statue?

I ask for two reason;

1/ I is right plaqued up!

2/Never saw him play, and I am generally in the pocket of decision makers as far as his dates of playing and goals scored records are concerned.

All that said, showing/surprising my old man his name on the statue and him getting a bit misty eyed (as his grandson likes to see Grampy's name on it) makes any slight difference is how many goals he scored or games he played an irrelevance to me.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

What is wrong with the stat on the Atyeo statue?

I ask for two reason;

1/ I is right plaqued up!

2/Never saw him play, and I am generally in the pocket of decision makers as far as his dates of playing and goals scored records are concerned.

All that said, showing/surprising my old man his name on the statue and him getting a bit misty eyed (as his grandson likes to see Grampy's name on it) makes any slight difference is how many goals he scored or games he played an irrelevance to me.

The day the statue was unveiled the stats on the statue were different to what the club was displaying on the big screen 

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:14, tomo said:

I replied:-

Many thanks for your email and coming back fella, 

I did try calling you this morning and left a message with a colleague. I await your call back. With regards to your comments, I have already seen the 'Wedlock Wall' before it was 'blanket covered' on Friday last week.

I am disappointed. The Wall is simply plaques stuck onto a garage / hut and the hut has simply been painted a 'charcoal like black' with a sign above saying 'Wedlock Wall' 

The finished piece is not as it was sold to customers. It is a plaque, not a high quality black gloss granite brick, it is not a wall, it is a hut with cheap looking plaques stuck to it!

On the assumption that all 700 customers paid £55, that is a revenue stream of £38,500. Whilst I appreciate the club need to make profit, I am stunned what has been delivered. It really looks cheap and doesn't reflect the same standards that have been applied to the re-development of the stadium. 

Please see links below:-

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/buy-a-brick-scheme-part-of-new-west-stand/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/buy-a-brick-scheme-set-for-summer-install/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/last-chance-to-buy-your-wedlock-wall-brick/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/deadline-to-buy-your-wedlock-wall-brick-approaching/

You have also not addressed the format for the wall. Wouldn't it have made sense to have all bricks in the same font/capitals - again, it really looks amateur!

I await your comments and telephone call, 

Catch up soon,

Kindest Regards

David 

Not sure why BS or the club would need to make a profit instead of clearing costs. Difficult one when its involves people commemorating loved ones leaving something for kids to see at the ground as they grow up but a project like this should be handled with a lot of respect. Question there is that really £38500 or £30000 of work? Smacks of a lack of respect for fans.

Archived