IGNORED

WEDLOCK WALL BRICKS - Is it a hut? (Merged)

NickJ

I went to the ground today to have a look - and the wall (or hut) looks pretty naff and amateurish compared to the rest of the ground. 

13 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

I bought a couple of 'bricks' and I will reserve judgement until I see it for myself Saturday.

I have to admit though, from the pictures I have seen so far, it is certainly not what I had imagined.

In my minds eye, it was going to be similar to the Reading wall

Yes, I was expecting something more like the Reading one too. Their wall has more of a professional and permanent look that is more suitable for something that is pretty much a memorial.

On 01/08/2018 at 13:48, red'tili'mdead said:

Tomo mate. I'm going on Saturday to have a look. If its as bad as it sounds/looks from on here I think we need to get some form of collective complaint going.

Individual whines on here will not be  enough to engage BS and we'll need to bring a form of 'group action' to focus minds.

Would also imagine that this could generate some nice easy content/clicks for the Post as well....

More than happy to be part of a collective action group fella. I would say no more than 4 represent the 'plaque holders' but we could gather all the thoughts from the wider group. Dolly should be able to give us some guidance on the best way to kick this off...

We can't just sit back and accept the hut can we? 

A couple of photos, my name isn’t up there so I just took a few quick pics showing nothing in particular. I didn’t really get a good shot of the whole wall as there were lots of people stood looking at it and don’t want to post photos of them on here.

My impression is that it’s not *that* bad, but my overwhelming feeling is that it’s some sort of memorial and I would assume people named aren’t with us anymore. I really hope I don’t upset anyone by saying this, but I didn’t see anywhere that explains who the people are ( except obviously fans) and why their names are carved into plaques on a wall. Maybe this will be added later as I think this needs clarity.

The mixture of upper and lower case is pretty awful though. I can’t understand why this is at all. 

4C90B7A0-2B24-4F30-AF57-BF2F60AE3C94.jpeg

1CECCE5E-3FAA-42BE-B843-92AA22738837.jpeg

E46DC9A8-66D5-4DD0-8B57-4471B66F897F.jpeg

I was made up when I saw my name on it Saturday, gift from my lads. Mixtures of uppercase and lowercase looks weird but other than that looked ok I thought.

Was expecting to see it in the South stand but i have no issues with how it looks

• Admin

Admitedly I didn't get to the ground until quite close to kick off but too many people around it to have a great look

I'm guessing if the names are randomly placed on there it could take a while to find

Does anyone else have any photos they can share please?

On 04/08/2018 at 19:43, RedM said:

A couple of photos, my name isn’t up there so I just took a few quick pics showing nothing in particular. I didn’t really get a good shot of the whole wall as there were lots of people stood looking at it and don’t want to post photos of them on here.

My impression is that it’s not *that* bad, but my overwhelming feeling is that it’s some sort of memorial and I would assume people named aren’t with us anymore. I really hope I don’t upset anyone by saying this, but I didn’t see anywhere that explains who the people are ( except obviously fans) and why their names are carved into plaques on a wall. Maybe this will be added later as I think this needs clarity.

The mixture of upper and lower case is pretty awful though. I can’t understand why this is at all. 

4C90B7A0-2B24-4F30-AF57-BF2F60AE3C94.jpeg

1CECCE5E-3FAA-42BE-B843-92AA22738837.jpeg

E46DC9A8-66D5-4DD0-8B57-4471B66F897F.jpeg

Cheers RedM.

Don't usually go to that part of the ground on matchday (and forgot all about it anyway) so first confirmation I'm up there.

Quite a long way 'up' there in fact so I'll have to take a trip down to see how visible it is without cricking my neck.

Not sure about 'bricks', they look similar to my parents' memorial plaques at Canford. 

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Cheers RedM.

Don't usually go to that part of the ground on matchday (and forgot all about it anyway) so first confirmation I'm up there.

Quite a long way 'up' there in fact so I'll have to take a trip down to see how visible it is without cricking my neck.

Not sure about 'bricks', they look similar my parents' memorial plaques at Canford. 

Sorry to tag @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO again, but I wonder if the club could get photos put online?

I'm assuming there must be a % of people that are either unaware this has been built or don't visit the ground (they were bought as memorials to people?)

Well..... its not fantastic by any means.

The lack of consistency in fonts etc looks pretty sloppy and they are clearly pretty cheap tiles, rather than the granite bricks as initially described/marketed. The club have clearly looked at this as a revenue generator, which is a bit of a pity.

As far as I could tell there is still plenty of space in the 'City part of the ground' (which in my view is the Dolman/South Stand concourse) to locate it - cannot understand why it seems to have been stuck out the back, as a bit of an embarrassment.... In my view the Liverpool Cup game mural looks a bit 'lower league' now and is not in keeping with our current status and aspirations. Last seasons cup run was as least as impressive - are we going to get that up on the wall too?

That being said it is not anything like the Gas standard install I was expecting and its probably worth drawing a line under it. I will certainly be proceeding with caution going forward, as i can't see this Wedlock Wall lasting more than a few years...

Unfortunately, it seems that some of the powers that be at BS don't really understand or value, the generational aspect of supporting a local football club.

12 hours ago, RedRaw said:

With all due respect, a large proportion of 20,000 fans probably saw it on Saturday and yet you appear to be the only one on here complaining about it......so I’m guessing no

With respect, I don't think I am the only one complaining or disappointed fella, 

As per normal, us Bristolian's just sit back and accept 'Poor to Mediocrity'

Plaques on A Hut - yeh that's acceptable! :laugh:

10 hours ago, red'tili'mdead said:

Well..... its not fantastic by any means.

The lack of consistency in fonts etc looks pretty sloppy and they are clearly pretty cheap tiles, rather than the granite bricks as initially described/marketed. The club have clearly looked at this as a revenue generator, which is a bit of a pity.

As far as I could tell there is still plenty of space in the 'City part of the ground' (which in my view is the Dolman/South Stand concourse) to locate it - cannot understand why it seems to have been stuck out the back, as a bit of an embarrassment.... In my view the Liverpool Cup game mural looks a bit 'lower league' now and is not in keeping with our current status and aspirations. Last seasons cup run was as least as impressive - are we going to get that up on the wall too?

That being said it is not anything like the Gas standard install I was expecting and its probably worth drawing a line under it. I will certainly be proceeding with caution going forward, as i can't see this Wedlock Wall lasting more than a few years...

Unfortunately, it seems that some of the powers that be at BS don't really understand or value, the generational aspect of supporting a local football club.

Totally agree....putting that stuff about the Liverpool game was a risky precedent, when will the 2-1 vs Man Yoo mural make an appearance?! It’s very small time to commemorate victories against higher div clubs in this way....

41 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Totally agree....putting that stuff about the Liverpool game was a risky precedent, when will the 2-1 vs Man Yoo mural make an appearance?! It’s very small time to commemorate victories against higher div clubs in this way....

I disagree, it’s part of our recent history and frankly we haven’t played or beaten many top teams. How many fans really think it’s small time rather than something to remember - I’d forgotten some of the team and I saw the game. Only City fans see it anyway and hopefully the young fans will come to remember the great nights of the past, perhaps in time, the Utd game will be remembered, but at the moment it’s still fresh in all our minds.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Only City fans see it anyway 

And those attending all the many events that are held each week at the stadium, would be nice to recognise the utd game too, one day the youngsters watching that night will be looking back on the Liverpool game as we do now (my first city away game) 

37 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

....and frankly we haven’t played or beaten many top teams. How many fans really think it’s small time...

Ok, we beat Man Utd home and away in the 1974/1975 season...and we beat Spurs home and away in the 1976/1977 season...we beat Arsenal away in 1976...we beat Liverpool at home and away in 1977 and 1978, we’ve beaten Chelsea too...how many murals do you want on the walls at Ashton Gate? 

Found mine yesterday (after some searching because they’re not seemingly in any kind of order) I do think that if the fonts were all one style (eg either all upper case, rather than a mix of both upper and lower) it would have looked better. Won’t ever be able to take a picture of me standing next to my plaque either, as it’s three from the top of a row, but I’m not personally massively outraged or anything. 

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ok, we beat Man Utd home and away in the 1974/1975 season...and we beat Spurs home and away in the 1976/1977 season...we beat Arsenal away in 1976...we beat Liverpool at home and away in 1977 and 1978, we’ve beaten Chelsea too...how many murals do you want on the walls at Ashton Gate? 

You've really reinforced my point - we have to start going back 45 years before we talk about beating top teams regularly.

I want as many murals as possible if they make us remember the great nights as a City fan and make us aware of our great performances against the odds.

Archived