IGNORED

ASTON VILLA The taxman requests

E.G.Red

• Admin
1 hour ago, Paul Cheesy said:

Absolutely baffles me how people complain about our transfer policy and why we aren't trying to buy our way out of this division.

But for every Villa / Leeds , there is a Burnley / Huddersfield that prove it can be done

It IS achievable buying the right players (if at all) - That is where we consistently get it so badly wrong!

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Millwall were top in December and ended up getting relegated a few years ago, Sheffield United and Leeds also fell away, it wasn't just us falling like stones 

That’s part of our problem. Not getting at you, it seems a cultural thing, the ‘Bristol Comfort Zone’. Always reminds me of that Honda advert ... we’re doing ok, why change?

It’s easier to compare ourselves to the failures rather than successes. 

Don't know where Burnley were in December before they got promoted.. Fulham, Cardiff.....Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth the list of similar sized Clubs to us (or smaller) goes on.

Reach for the stars and you might just grab one. 

14 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

That’s part of our problem. Not getting at you, it seems a cultural thing, the ‘Bristol Comfort Zone’. Always reminds me of that Honda advert ... we’re doing ok, why change?

It’s easier to compare ourselves to the failures rather than successes. 

Don't know where Burnley were in December before they got promoted.. Fulham, Cardiff.....Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth the list of similar sized Clubs to us (or smaller) goes on.

Reach for the stars and you might just grab one. 

2nd, and all those clubs you quoted aren't similar size to us and haven't been for about 10 years now (bournmouth aside)

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

But for every Villa / Leeds , there is a Burnley / Huddersfield that prove it can be done

It IS achievable buying the right players (if at all) - That is where we consistently get it so badly wrong!

What’s Sunderland’s, Reading’s, Wednesday’s, Derby’s, Villa’s, Forest’s, Leed’s, Hull’s, QPR’s, Blackburn’s, Ipswich’s, Norwich's, Birmingham’s, Bolton’s excuse then?

For every success story, there are two failure stories.

And apart from Burnley, and maybe Huddersfield, every other success story, Brighton and Bournemouth for example, there was actually a lot more spending than people commonly believe.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

What’s Sunderland’s, Reading’s, Wednesday’s, Derby’s, Villa’s, Forest’s, Leed’s, Hull’s, QPR’s, Blackburn’s, Ipswich’s, Norwich's, Birmingham’s, Bolton’s excuse then?

And apart from Burnley, and maybe Huddersfield, every other success story, Brighton and Bournemouth for example, there was actually a lot more spending than people commonly believe.

bournmouth spent spent spent and like villa  gambled, it paid off for them, and if they'd off dropped into the play-offs (thanks to a missed pen elseware) they would of gone through what villa are currently going through

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

SL isn't prepared to risk vast amounts of money on buying promotion to the PL. 

As we all know he wants to get there by creating a sustainable and stable club with a home grown squad of several academy and development squad graduates alongside more experienced players. That's why he employed LJ - a manager who buys into his philosophy unlike previous managers who did not.

would be nice if he could do that after a real go at getting there first, I see nothing wrong with that philosophy but to get there like that might take a long time without a lot of luck.  

Villa have gambled crazy money to get back up.

Surely in their first season in the champ they must have spent in excess of 70mill across the season? To not even finish in the play offs is criminal.

They deserve all they get if you ask me. They tried to buy the league.

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

2nd, and all those clubs you quoted aren't similar size to us and haven't been for about 10 years now (bournmouth aside)

So that’s where we were. They’re now established Premiership.. we are no where near that. 

The reason those Clubs are no longer a similar size is because they’ve reached the Premier League.

I suspect while in the Championship they all had similar, if not smaller attendances as compared to us. Over my 50 plus years of supporting City I’d say they were our equivalents. .. and you can add others to that list like Huddersfield, Hull. 

There is a reason why we are one of the biggest Clubs never to have played in the Premier League.

5 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

There is a reason why we are one of the biggest Clubs never to have played in the Premier League.

We are the biggest club never to have played in the Premier League. The reason why is the ownership are a blessing and a curse in equal measure. Yes, we will never be a Portsmouth, Blackpool or Aston Villa facing winding-up orders or going into administration, but at the same time we will probably never over-achieve or IMO fully achieve our potential by establishing ourselves in the Premier League. It is what it is.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

We are the biggest club never to have played in the Premier League. The reason why is the ownership are a blessing and a curse in equal measure. Yes, we will never be a Portsmouth, Blackpool or Aston Villa facing winding-up orders or going into administration, but at the same time we will probably never over-achieve or IMO fully achieve our potential by establishing ourselves in the Premier League. It is what it is.

Well expressed. Yes, becalmed in the Championship - there could be worse places to be I suppose adopting the ‘ok’ attitude.

PS don’t mention ‘1982’ as it may wake up a passing Sag. 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

a lot rides on next season for me Kid, I'm firmly in the johnson out brigade at the moment so don't take my posts as defending him,

But we have to improve again next season, and by that I mean increasing the points total, our aim has to be 70 points next season 

15/16 we had 52 points scored 54 had 71 against

16/17 we had 54 Points 60 for 66 against

17/18 we had 67 points 67 for 58 against

So a year on year improvement which is why 70 has to be the bare minimum for me which would of seen us finish 9th

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That maybe because of our history, we have already been through all of this in 82. Any City fan who was around then would NEVER want to go back to that! Better be in league 2 than go to the wall.

FFP has changed the Bournemouth blueprint idea though- projected accounts is a gamechanger.

Said it few months ago- Wolves and Villa both spent a fair whack last 2 years. However, Wolves spending was cleverer by far. I know, the whole superagent controversy- but they spent on players with a sell-on value, best days ahead of them and a reputation- foreign clubs at the least may have looked at a fair few...Villa however and to a lesser extent Derby, went a different way.

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

They’ve spunked the best part of £100 million in a season!? Bloody hell. Steve Bruce might be getting the chance to attend more weddings next season then. 

They spent £80m odd on transfer fees the season after relegation.

Though some of that offset by transfers received.

7 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

That maybe because of our history, we have already been through all of this in 82. Any City fan who was around then would NEVER want to go back to that! Better be in league 2 than go to the wall.

I was there, and while not desirable to repeat, there were moments of great enjoyment in amongst the dross. Even worse than that, I was there during the more recent Championship/League1 SoD/Pulis eras.

Things seem to have changed now though. Didn’t Leicester - another Club of once similar size - enter administration in League 1 a few years back? They, seemingly, didn’t go out of existence at the time. Look where they are now. 

Not advancing the ‘go for bust’ approach  but, hey,  big Clubs in trouble just don’t seem to go to the wall for some reason. 

We need though to avoid another January farce - which reveals deeper problems in the Club than signing a couple (more) players who contributed naff all - infact, probably had a negative impact. That means we need to sort out off-the-field activities particularly our team culture, style of play (mananagement/coaching), talent identification (scouting) and player suitability (DNA testing) systems. It beggars belief that LJ says he needs leaders on the pitch when he’s bought in 30 odd players over 4 (5?) transfer  windows or when a million pound plus player can only play to his expected level at 7 a-side football.

We also need a timescale for targets. No plan or strategy is of any value unless measured against time. The absence of timescales for improvement is another indication to me of the relaxed ‘ok’ type of culture seemingly prevalent at BS3.

We want winners.. those, like Flinty, who leaves nothing on the pitch, is committed to continuous improvement and gets into a right strop when we lose - like he really cares.

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

FFP has changed the Bournemouth blueprint idea though- projected accounts is a gamechanger.

Said it few months ago- Wolves and Villa both spent a fair whack last 2 years. However, Wolves spending was cleverer by far. I know, the whole superagent controversy- but they spent on players with a sell-on value, best days ahead of them and a reputation- foreign clubs at the least may have looked at a fair few...Villa however and to a lesser extent Derby, went a different way.

the PL and EFL are looking to close that loop hole as they are alarm about te amount of money going to agent,

theres talk of players paying agent fee's and not the clubs at FIFA and UEFA

15 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Appears that Villa CEO Keith Wyness has been suspended by the club. Dr Xia is taking a bit more control over things. All adding fuel to the flames...

Did someone mention fire sale?

Could be a great time to go discount shopping, James Bree for a couple of mil anyone? Could probably afford the higher wages of their players in the amount we could save on transfer fee 

31 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

the PL and EFL are looking to close that loop hole as they are alarm about te amount of money going to agent,

theres talk of players paying agent fee's and not the clubs at FIFA and UEFA

That's interesting, didn't know that.

Amount of cash going to agent a concern? They've had huge cars etc for years football agents- know someone who worked at Fulham in the Lawrie Sanchez days and the agents had the biggest cars even then.

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I never understand why supporters get so worried. HMRC are not in the business of closing football clubs. There’s no tax payments forthcoming from a defunct club. They will reach an agreement on staged payments. 

Most likely- but it will still hinder Villa (and therefore boost their rivals) financially moving forward. Bit of a fire sale maybe?

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I never understand why supporters get so worried. HMRC are not in the business of closing football clubs. There’s no tax payments forthcoming from a defunct club. They will reach an agreement on staged payments. 

that's where you are wrong, the HMRC want to do just that as they are getting fed up with football clubs attitude to paying tax, and really want to make an example of a big club by liquidating them, Portsmouth came the closest to that 

24 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Appears that Villa CEO Keith Wyness has been suspended by the club. Dr Xia is taking a bit more control over things. All adding fuel to the flames...

Did someone mention fire sale?

Apparently he was trying to find potential investors/generate a potential takeover without Dr Xia's knowledge and the Dr didn't like it.

It's not in relation to their cash flow problems.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Most were success stories though when originally promoted and spent a few years in the PL.

A year or years of bad (man & financial) management

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

SL isn't prepared to risk vast amounts of money on buying promotion to the PL. 

As we all know he wants to get there by creating a sustainable and stable club with a home grown squad of several academy and development squad graduates alongside more experienced players. That's why he employed LJ - a manager who buys into his philosophy unlike previous managers who did not.

The difference between SL and the Dr at Villa is SL has a far greater wealth and didn't fork out millions to buy the club

Two completely different financial scenarios. If SL has learnt one thing from the last 5 years it's not to chuck money around like confetti. If he thinks there is value in spending £10m on a player then he will sanction it. He won't just go crazy and spend £100m on instant success and try  to compete with the big spenders as there is no value in the long run. He is no mug with his money regardless of his billionaire riches 

Archived