IGNORED

ASTON VILLA The taxman requests

E.G.Red

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes but someone is going to get him at a bargain price now you would think......

Not really, he has a value in the market place and they will no doubt get this. They have others they can sell also.  In reality I would be surprised if Villa can't afford to pay their tax bill especially if they can afford to spunk £5.2m per season on an ageing centre back. A bit of a non story in my mind along with the Palace one about accounts being overdue ................... big swinging mickey !!

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

To bring in the football equivalents of Pat Lam, Luatua, Madigan, Morahan etc would give SL a Connery. It just won’t happen. 

Coz we all know SL likes his Vodka Martini shhhhtirred, not shhhhhaken...

Can we organise some love and support for Prince Wills, Duke of Cambridge? His nan is closing his football club down. These nans stopping their grandkids fun nowadays...

45 minutes ago, hodge said:

Could be a great time to go discount shopping, James Bree for a couple of mil anyone? Could probably afford the higher wages of their players in the amount we could save on transfer fee 

Bree and Albert would do me nicely.

Seriously think Bree has become a very realistic proposition after this **** up. Not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination, probably in our price bracket, probably in our wage bracket, young.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Seriously think Bree has become a very realistic proposition after this **** up. Not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination, probably in our price bracket, probably in our wage bracket, young.

If I'm not mistaken, he would have been managed by Johnson in the past so that could also be favourable (or unfavourable according to some). 

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Doubt he's in our wage bracket (Villa have been throwing wages around) but (and numbers after this point are made up) if he's on 25k a week for another 3 years and we got him to come here on 15k a week then Villa would be topping up that extra 10k until his contract with them would have expired.

So he wouldnt have an immediate pay drop if he joined us.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Doubt he's in our wage bracket (Villa have been throwing wages around) but (and numbers after this point are made up) if he's on 25k a week for another 3 years and we got him to come here on 15k a week then Villa would be topping up that extra 10k until his contract with them would have expired.

So he wouldnt have an immediate pay drop if he joined us.

That was my thinking. Virtually guaranteed first team football and all that.

40 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

It's not in relation to their cash flow problems.

Just mentioned on the radio. It’s not the he doesn’t have the money, due to new regulations he’s having trouble getting it into the country. 

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

If I'm not mistaken, he would have been managed by Johnson in the past so that could also be favourable (or unfavourable according to some). 

One of the names that Johnson supposedly fell out with was Hourihane who's with him at Villa, so might play a part, but only makes it more likely we might see something imo.

51 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

The position isn't vacant. Pisano will start and Vyner sit on the bench waiting his chance, ie the inevitable injury to Pisano. 

So this signing would block the pathway to the first team for our own youngsters (no chance either Vyner or Moore will be a Championship standard centre back in the near future - Vyner possibly in the fullness of time).

Plus the wage Villa are paying Bree will probably have taken him out of our range.

Not saying he isn't a good player though.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

they are ******, 12 point deduction has got to be around the corner with the threat of not getting their share to actually join the league (like leeds) can't be far off

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nobody, not even SL expects to reach the PL with "11 local lads" ............:disapointed2se:

Did Burnley "buy" their way to the PL? I remember some astute signings and smart fiscal management once they got there. No doubt at all that the model employed by them could well be applied to City.

That's EXACTLY how they got there. Twice. 

Ever heard of Andre Gray?

Burnley's last two promotions to the premiership have been based on signing, in the main, players of the right age with Championship or Premiership experience. Not necessarily for huge sums of money - sometimes even for nothing, Tom Heaton - name ring a bell??? - but all have been players capable of contributing immediately to pushing Burnley forward. Players for the here and now, not the future.  

Everyone's entitled to an opinion but if you based some of yours on facts rather than fantasy you might not be such a laughing stock.

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Burnley's last two promotions to the premiership have been based on signing, in the main, players of the right age with Championship or Premiership experience. Not necessarily for huge sums of money - sometimes even for nothing, Tom Heaton - name ring a bell??? - but all have been players capable of contributing immediately to pushing Burnley forward. Players for the here and now, not the future.  

Everyone's entitled to an opinion but if you based some of yours on facts rather than fantasy you might not be such a laughing stock.

Marvellously put MM. 

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

£6mil the same summer we put a bid in for him?

Hardly buying their way to the Prem. That was their only major signing that summer (15/16) as well!

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

we did that, finished bottom with an 18 million wage bill, a bloated squad of aging pro's with no value, took us almost 5 years to be challenging again from that fiasco 

It’s arguable about Burnley’s last 2 promotions, but the first time in 2008 their top signing was £1.3m Patterson and hardly anyone else of note.

That is more akin to our position now because after a couple of promotions to the Premier League, buying an Andre Gray is hardly extravagant. So I would say that their first promotion was not bought.

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I don't think you can ever describe Burnley as a club that has bought their way into the Premier League.

Gray at the time had 1 years experience in the championship and at £6,000,000 was the clubs record signing!

18 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we did that, finished bottom with an 18 million wage bill, a bloated squad of aging pro's with no value, took us almost 5 years to be challenging again from that fiasco 

Yes we did but they were players of the wrong age and/or questionable motivation.

That's not what Burnley did, which is why I wrote "players of the right age". Burnley's signings have been a completely different profile to the scenario you quote.

So you're not comparing like for like, which invalidates your counter-argument.

Just compare the signings Burnley have made on their way to their last 2 promotions under Dyche and you'll see there's not a David James, a Damion Stewart, a Nicky Hunt amongst them, never mind a load of tripe from the pub leagues in Scotland. 

5 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

I don't think you can ever describe Burnley as a club that has bought their way into the Premier League.

Gray at the time had 1 years experience in the championship and at £6,000,000 was the clubs record signing!

and looking through their accounts the spent around 10 million that season, thats less then what we shelled out for 11th

25 minutes ago, Selred said:

£6mil the same summer we put a bid in for him?

Hardly buying their way to the Prem. That was their only major signing that summer (15/16) as well!

The point isn't about the money, it's about the type of player Burnley have concentrated on - twice - to get into the Premiership.

Look at all the players they've signed for those 2 promotions, not just Andre Gray. 

But if you want to discuss him in particular, when Burnley signed him they could be a damn sight more confident about what they were getting than some of our signings - he'd just scored 18 goals in the Championship for Brentford and could go straight into Burnley's first team and make a difference now - not "one for the future", if, maybe, fingers crossed, he turns out to be good enough in the first place.

As others have said, there's a balance to be struck between building a base for the future and having players who can progress us in the here and now.  

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

and looking through their accounts the spent around 10 million that season, thats less then what we shelled out for 11th

Yes, which is why I said their signings were "not necessarily for huge sums of money - sometimes even for nothing". 

Maybe read what I've written carefully before replying, otherwise we're going to be here all day.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Did Burnley "buy" their way to the PL?

41 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Well, your original gambit suggested they bought their way to the Prem which they clearly did not. The definition of trying to buy into the Prem would be better demonstrated by what Wolves have just done or Burnemouth in 15/16 (£55 million)

Your subsequent points about them buying astutely for the 'here and now' to attempt to get into the Premier is indeed the right definition

You are right MM, it is all about a balance but I suppose at the time O’Neill, Pisano and Baker seemed to provide some balance although it didn’t work out like that this season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I suspect several more players ‘Championship ready’ will be added in the coming weeks and hopefully our treatment room this season will be a little less crowded.

57 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Where's Andre Grey these days?  

The point I'm making is that Burnley didn't buy their way to the PL at all. It was as you say down to astute signings but not for mega money. 

Clever strategy by Sen Dyche 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Where's Andre Grey these days?  

The point I'm making is that Burnley didn't buy their way to the PL at all. It was as you say down to astute signings but not for mega money. 

Clever strategy by Sen Dyche 

watford for a club record fee scoring a grand total of 5 goals

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

that's where you are wrong, the HMRC want to do just that as they are getting fed up with football clubs attitude to paying tax, and really want to make an example of a big club by liquidating them, Portsmouth came the closest to that 

I’ve seen no evidence of that. They didn’t close Portsmouth. They do deals with large corporations (and Villa is large) and put the sword to small businesses, which is why the likes of Costa and Starbucks pay a fraction of the tax they should be paying while your local high street coffee shop goes to the wall. 

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes, which is why I said their signings were "not necessarily for huge sums of money - sometimes even for nothing". 

Maybe read what I've written carefully before replying, otherwise we're going to be here all day.

You directly replied to a question asking "did Burnley buy their way to the PL?" With "That's EXACTLY how they got there. Twice." Then went on to make accurate comments that they didn't actually spend much money at all, a complete contradiction. If so you could take your reply and apply it to any club in the country and say they're "buying the league".

6 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It’s arguable about Burnley’s last 2 promotions, but the first time in 2008 their top signing was £1.3m Patterson and hardly anyone else of note.

That is more akin to our position now because after a couple of promotions to the Premier League, buying an Andre Gray is hardly extravagant. So I would say that their first promotion was not bought.

He gave Joe his shirt when he was in loan here.  Handed it over and apologised that he’d been shit for us! 

3F227C80-79D7-4656-AD0B-66D862027039.thumb.jpeg.c3f81420c300d93e3282598565f4c638.jpeg

Archived