IGNORED

"Scotland 78 - A Love Story" BBC documentary

Jack Dawe

Available on bbc iplayer thingy, once the bitter Jocks have watched it and wept tonight  o'er the border. Where's Nev today - has he knocked off early doors?

My first World Cup really (a few snippets of '74 remain, but was too young for that), the first I thoroughly absorbed, loved it. It was so exotic, so foreign, so fascinating. A proper crackly line from half a world away, David Coleman, a decent Scotland team messing up, the lively/cheating Argies (always liked them ever since; sorry Bulldogs!), the brilliant Dutch, and that confetti - oh, that reception in the River Plate. And the greatest ball of all time the Adidas '78 Tango. The football wasn't the best but to a kid already smitten with the game, this was mind blowing magic.

But I guess the documentary will be mostly about the Jocks embarrassing themselves. Should be worth a look!

Yes, the '78 World Cup was full of flavour and passion. After England's flop (again) at reaching the Finals, the focus was switched to the Scottish efforts. Who could forget the strains of their official song with Andy Cameron? (Isn't it a saying that no song writer has ever made a hit until it is sung on the terraces - still hear bits to this day?) Of course, we southerners will chuckle up our sleeves about the calamities that befell the Scots, but will always remember Archie Gemmil's magical goal against the Dutch (and Bobby Charlton's voice in the background shouting 'It's there! It's there!').

I'm with you, JD, about a lot of that. Some tournaments don't quite fire the spirit, whereas others do. Despite all the later claims of corruption and the Peruvians taking a brown envelope to allow the hosts through, there was a special momentum about the Argies. When your name's on the cup...

I lived in Glasgow through the 70s so me and other English boys had to put up with “we gonna win the World Cup” big time (as well as the 77 Wembley calamity after which my teacher had Wembley turf in her car, but that’s another story).

They started well with a Jordan goal but from then on went pear shaped. I cheered when Cubillas scored the Peru third from 18 yards. I even looked at the Peru replica top in Sauciehall Street but thought better of it.

then the 1-1 Iran draw and the surprise 3-2 win v Holland.

To be fair that was a cracking game with some memorable goals (Haan and Gemell’s particularly) but it was too late for Scotland. 

That was probably the best team they’ve ever had and the high point.

It was a shame for them but at least it shut them up and “the English” had the last laugh even though we didn’t even qualify :-)

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Available on bbc iplayer thingy, once the bitter Jocks have watched it and wept tonight  o'er the border. Where's Nev today - has he knocked off early doors?

My first World Cup really (a few snippets of '74 remain, but was too young for that), the first I thoroughly absorbed, loved it. It was so exotic, so foreign, so fascinating. A proper crackly line from half a world away, David Coleman, a decent Scotland team messing up, the lively/cheating Argies (always liked them ever since; sorry Bulldogs!), the brilliant Dutch, and that confetti - oh, that reception in the River Plate. And the greatest ball of all time the Adidas '78 Tango. The football wasn't the best but to a kid already smitten with the game, this was mind blowing magic.

But I guess the documentary will be mostly about the Jocks embarrassing themselves. Should be worth a look!

Beating that Dutch team wasn’t embarrassing for Scotland....cracking Scots’ line up too...the draw against Iran was the low point for them, even more so than getting beat by Peru...at least they qualified for that tournament and the one in 1974 when England didn’t manage to qualify for either...agree with you about the ball that was used, best ever!

54 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Beating that Dutch team wasn’t embarrassing for Scotland....cracking Scots’ line up too...the draw against Iran was the low point for them, even more so than getting beat by Peru...at least they qualified for that tournament and the one in 1974 when England didn’t manage to qualify for either...agree with you about the ball that was used, best ever!

The "embarrassing" is their assessment, I'm happy to go along with their thoughts on it. They like to label us as "arrogant," but I'm struggling to recall Engerlund heading off to a WC with the fanfare Scotland drummed up in '78. As the bbc documentary will no doubt attest .....

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Still my favourite World Cup ever. Argentina with the team of all the talents, Holland`s golden generation and so many others. The tickertape, every game played in gorgeous sunshine. So many terrific memories.

Mario Kempes, what a player!

Mine too! And didn’t one country have to wear a local team’s kit due to a colour clash in one game?! (Seem to remember it was France wearing green and white stripes?) Loved it! Superb tournament!

4 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

My first World Cup, and England weren’t even there.

Lots of memories:

• We’re on the March will Ally’s army....ha ha ha
  • PG Tips footie cards, inc a certain Joseph (not Joe) Jordan and Don Masson
  • Top Trumps where Iran’s Ali Parvin was an unknown but useful to have in your pile
  • confetti / ticker tape 
  • Mario Kempes or Mario Kempes-Gol was what I thought his name was!
  • Archie Gemmill’s goal
  • Ari Haan’s 45 yarder
  • Panini sticker album including England....was it a sticker or a licker?
  • Alan Rough
  • Willie Johnstone’s drug test
  • Jack Charlton’s Joanne Cruft

Watching games at stupid times of day, but you made sure you did! There had never been a tournament like it before and, I personally believe, not since either.

I think England not being there helped in a perverse sort of way, you didn`t have to agonize over our performances, just enjoy the spectacle.

Was a young lad when all that went on.

Ally McLeod played a blinder as manager and made a small fortune in endorsements prior to the tournament.

His comment about being 3rd as the ‘worst we could do’ lives in the memory - utter nonsense obviously.

The other ridiculous moment was 75k turning up at the old Hampden to wish them well before they got on the plane!

NB - that was not after a game, there was no game that night!

Tbf to England we did have Poland in our Qualifying group for 1974 and Poland finished 3rd in that WC. Then in 1978 we had Italy, and Italy subsequently finished 3rd or 4th in 1978 WC. Poland were extremely fortunate to get a 1-1 draw at Wembley in 1973, as England threw the kitchen sink at them. With Italy England matched their 2-0 home win and ultimately it came down to goal difference. Italy had thrashed Luxembourg  9-0 but England only managed a 2-0 win in Luxembourg.

Scotland did have a good team but their qualifying groups in the 1970s didn't contain the class teams England faced. I actually believe that England in their 1970s WC campaigns gained better results against big teams than they then did in the WC campaigns of the 1980s even though they qualified in the 80s, but with the exception of France in 82 as soon as they faced any team of quality, England were out. Indeed, with the exception of 1990, that has been England's fate in every World Cup they have qualified for.

In the 1970s,  only 14 teams qualified around the world to join the host's and defending champions. So, the qualifying groups could be tough. A false impression is therefore created that England were crap in the 1970s but improved in the 80s onwards. Yet, it was simply because it became easier to qualify. England had a very good team in the 1970s.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Mine too! And didn’t one country have to wear a local team’s kit due to a colour clash in one game?! (Seem to remember it was France wearing green and white stripes?) Loved it! Superb tournament!

Good call, BS4oT.

France played Hungary at Mar Del Plata in a Group 1 game. The French turned up with the same white shirts as the Magyars, but didn't have a spare set of kit. The match was delayed for half an hour as the organisations went looking for local club Kimberley F.C.'s strip - which was indeed white and green stripes. The match ended 3-1 to France but both teams ended at the bottom of the table and went home anyway.

(OK, i admit it - I had to blow the dust off my old book on the tournament.) :blush:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Willie Johnstone’s drug test

That was a bombshell. When it was announced that Johnstone had taken some antihistamines for a touch of hay fever, the Scottish camp went into an even steeper nosedive. After his performance against Peru (a 3-1 stuffing) many asked just how bad he was when he was clean.

On 06/06/2018 at 21:06, Davefevs said:

My first World Cup, and England weren’t even there.

Lots of memories:

• We’re on the March will Ally’s army....ha ha ha
  • PG Tips footie cards, inc a certain Joseph (not Joe) Jordan and Don Masson
  • Top Trumps where Iran’s Ali Parvin was an unknown but useful to have in your pile
  • confetti / ticker tape 
  • Mario Kempes or Mario Kempes-Gol was what I thought his name was!
  • Archie Gemmill’s goal
  • Ari Haan’s 45 yarder
  • Panini sticker album including England....was it a sticker or a licker?
  • Alan Rough
  • Willie Johnstone’s drug test
  • Jack Charlton’s Joanne Cruft

You forgot

s-l300.jpg

Archived