IGNORED

How much money can we invest in the squad?

reddogkev

1 minute ago, Flint says No said:

Normally we spend around £15m in the summer and I don’t see that changing too much tbh

no we don't we've prob spent that much once in our entire history and thats because we got 11 million for kodja as well as a return on bolasie and Adomah 

I've gotta feeling Flint will stay unless someone comes in with a bid of around £10m-£12m, £6m for Joe and about the same for Bobby if he goes. We have to be looking at at least £20m for those three. Add on a couple of million for Mags. My biggest concern as always is that we won't replace the players that we sell. 

The fact that we are talking about these kind of prices for two academy players is amazing and shows how far we have come. Saying that, I'd love for them all to stay (with Joe playing in midfield and bobby in an attacking role behind two strikers).

42 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

250k for a Swedish international with goals in their top division ??? Behave , a number of league one clubs would pay 500-750k for him at least. 

Not a chance in a million that a League One club will spend that sort of money on someone who doesn’t want to be in the UK.

Current loan spell;

10 appearances (3 of them as a sub) 1 goal.

He’ll leave us for an “undisclosed” fee to go home to Sweden then Tommy or one of the other Swedish contingent on here will tell us just how little the fee really was.

Ask them how much Swedish teams pay for players.

His international appearance was in a meaningless friendly..

9 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

We definitely spent close to 15 last season, Diédhiou and Baker were about 8-9 million alone

one season doesn't equate to normally spend 15 million,

We paid 5.3 million for Fammy and 1.8 mil for Elliasson

We signed 7 other players last season perm 3 on a free

so the 4 others you'r suggesting cost us nearly 8 million 

Baker would be around 2 and getting rid of clauses in the kodja sale

Walsh Bakison and holden wouldn't of cost us 6 million between them

Looking increasingly like we need to sell to spend this summer.

With that in mind, I’d be very disappointed if we didn’t make a minimum of £20m should Reid, Bryan and Flint leave.

I then suspect we’ll put pretty much 1/2 - 2/3 of that back into transfers, so somewhere around the the £12-14m total.

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

one season doesn't equate to normally spend 15 million,

We paid 5.3 million for Fammy and 1.8 mil for Elliasson

We signed 7 other players last season perm 3 on a free

so the 4 others you'r suggesting cost us nearly 8 million 

Baker would be around 2 and getting rid of clauses in the kodja sale

Walsh Bakison and holden wouldn't of cost us 6 million between them

Fairly sure Baker was £3m wasn’t he? Also by normally I meant last two summers. Probably should’ve been a bit more clearer so apologies for that.

The problem with valuations for Bobby and Bryan are most people seem to forget they are in their final year of contract which devalues them considerably. The chances of the club turning down offers of 5-6m could be risky as if it angers the player they could decide to sit still and walk for nothing in the summer, and as a club we won't risk that. 5-6m for a player in their final year of contract, is a good offer. 

I think the key factor with Flint is, Defenders don't make what midfielders make, and midfielders dont make what Strikers make. Manchester Utd and Liverpool have already this month signed Defenders who are full internationals and established at the top level for 19m and 16m, if you think a club is going to pay 10m for a defender who is only proven in the second tier and is 28 years old then you are sadly mistaken. He is 29 in 4 weeks time and the reality is £5m would be a very good price. The problem is BCFC value a lot higher than other clubs will. Personally he may be happy to stay and I hope he is, but there is no chance any club would pay 10-12m for a player like Flint. £5m will see a top end Championship or lower Premier League club buy him, but remember Birmingham only wanted to pay 3m for him last season and if West Brom only get 3.5m for Johnny Evans they aren't gonna be paying much more than that for Flint ! £5m would be good money for Flint, despite how fans value him. He's not a young player, there is next to no sell on value and at 29 in a few weeks and uncapped he wont attract big clubs. You look what clubs are paying for Defenders who have done far more than Flint has and you'll see what the true value is. The likes of the Fulham lad is not really a comparison as he is far younger with massive sell on value. 

8 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Fairly sure Baker was £3m wasn’t he? Also by normally I meant last two summers. Probably should’ve been a bit more clearer so apologies for that.

I thought we paid 400K for Baker and wrote off Kodjia's add on's in return for getting him for such a low price ?

13 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Looking increasingly like we need to sell to spend this summer.

With that in mind, I’d be very disappointed if we didn’t make a minimum of £20m should Reid, Bryan and Flint leave.

I then suspect we’ll put pretty much 1/2 - 2/3 of that back into transfers, so somewhere around the the £12-14m total.

I don't know about that.. We've not really done that apart from when we were relegated.

I can see us spending a reasonable amount again, but probably partially offset by departures.

If Lansdown was serious about looking towards top 6 this year then we'll need to.. and we'll need to increase our wage budget too.

37 minutes ago, fatchers said:

Bryan's performances since the cup run ended have not been good enough to suggest we could get more than 5 mil. I only hope SL or JL don't read the constant slagging and abuse they get from some of our fellow 'supporters' on here before SL decides to slash His cash.

Firstly they're not immune to criticism. Secondly I doubt BIGredMIKEY posting JL is a whopper is gonna put the hard nosed businessman off that much. Got to be professional and not let that sort of thing affect you eh?

Given that we agreed to buy Diony for what was reported to be north of 6 million, then that money would have been budgeted for and presumably therefore still now available given that we are not pursuing this deal any longer.  We usually spend pretty well in the Summer and think we will again. Should we sell the likes of Bryan then that will merely increase our transfer kitty.

7 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

I thought we paid 400K for Baker and wrote off Kodjia's add on's in return for getting him for such a low price ?

Not sure to be honest I know the fee was £3m no idea if it had anything to do with the Kodjia deal

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't know about that.. We've not really done that apart from when we were relegated.

I can see us spending a reasonable amount again, but probably partially offset by departures.

If Lansdown was serious about looking towards top 6 this year then we'll need to.. and we'll need to increase our wage budget too.

Yes absolutely. 

Purely speculating - I was just wondering if say £5/6m does go on Marriott.....

Wouldn’t then be surprised if we signed a LB and a RB, CB if Flint leaves and potentially a couple in midfield?

That’s up to another 5 in maybe - of course some could be frees and loans - but if 2/3 are for fees it could quickly add up to £4m therefore taking us to £10m spent. 

All guess work, as we may get more or less for the players we sell. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bryan left for £5m nor would I be surprised if he went for £12m to be honest! Same with Bobby.

R.E Lansdown “going for it” - i’d imagine he wants to build on last year, so will need to invest well in the team. But I also imagine a transfer “push” at the point at which some of our youngsters are really coming of age and the training ground is near completion or done. 

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Although it looks certain that Flint, Bryan and Reid have attracted interest from other clubs we fans don't actually know for sure let alone how much revenue their sales might raise. 

As in every silly season we see lots of wid speculation and rumour from social media and the press but it's all just that - wild speculation and rumour. Nothing is certain yet. It's only 100% certain when it's announced on the OS.

Of course SL will have given his strategy plans to MA and LJ but as yet even they have no idea how much income is likely so to ask how much of it will be reinvested is a all a bit pointless.

At a guess, I'd say all of any potential income from player sales will be available to reinvest probably with a bit more from SLs stash as long as it falls within the FFP regulations.

So para 1, 2, 3 - no-one knows, not even LJ / MA, so asking is pointless

Para 4 - what the heck, i’ll Join the game

you crack me up Robbo. :D

From my point of of view I reckon SL will Fund a few million, but over and above is generated from transfers.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So para 1, 2, 3 - no-one knows, not even LJ / MA, so asking is pointless

Para 4 - what the heck, i’ll Join the game

you crack me up Robbo. :D

From my point of of view I reckon SL will Fund a few million, but over and above is generated from transfers.

I'm just stating the obvious Dave as during the silly season people get bored and ask daft questions that are impossible to answer  - hence my guess on what might happen.

It's a fairly rough estimate but I think we could spend- and of course wages will have an impact- but I think we could as per FFP and staying within it, we could spend 10 million this summer.

15/16 wouldn't now count and we lost only a few million in 16/17. Cup run, Sky- costs too of course but O'Neil now off wage bill, looking likely Mags too...as @JamesBCFC said 39m over 3 years and so long as wages don't go nuts, yeah IMO could absorb 10m spending this summer.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a fairly rough estimate but I think we could spend- and of course wages will have an impact- but I think we could as per FFP and staying within it, we could spend 10 million this summer.

15/16 wouldn't now count and we lost only a few million in 16/17. Cup run, Sky- costs too of course but O'Neil now off wage bill, looking likely Mags too...as @JamesBCFC said 39m over 3 years and so long as wages don't go nuts, yeah IMO could absorb 10m spending this summer.

Potentially a few million more perhaps?

Mags amoritisation value is going to be paid off or almost done so his transfer fee would come in as profit on the sheets (as far as my knowledge says so).

Assuming one of Bryan or Reid goes their money would all be profit on the balance sheet plus wages freed up.

If Flint were to go then his would be down as all profit, the amoritisation of his transfer being fully cleared off.

However I'd hope we wouldn't spend whatever puts us at the limit of FFP as that leaves us in a bind for the next 2 seasons.

23 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Potentially a few million more perhaps?

Mags amoritisation value is going to be paid off or almost done so his transfer fee would come in as profit on the sheets (as far as my knowledge says so).

Assuming one of Bryan or Reid goes their money would all be profit on the balance sheet plus wages freed up.

If Flint were to go then his would be down as all profit, the amoritisation of his transfer being fully cleared off.

However I'd hope we wouldn't spend whatever puts us at the limit of FFP as that leaves us in a bind for the next 2 seasons.

Potentially yeah we could.

My thinking of 10 million was before any potential profit from Flint, Bryan or Reid (hope we keep all 3). 

Was also perhaps a bit on the conservative side my estimate, which on the other hand would still IMO give us wriggle room.

As I say dependent on keeping wage growth under control too I think.

I’d be fairly surprised if our budget pre player sales was more than 5m. So maybe roughly 7.5m if Magnússon goes. Hopefully the budget allows for a bit more in wages per week. 

As far as players leaving, I’d only class 3 actual contributors(counting Hörður as sold already) to have any more than 10% chance of being sold. Bryan, Reid and Flint in that order. Bryan most likely imo and I’d hope for 5-6m up front plus add ons.

Reid 7-8m as one of the top goal scorers in the league. His contract makes it a bit tougher to judge but if he goes I expect a decent fee. Think some are over valuing this final 12 month stuff. Should still be at 80-90% his actual value. Think we can hold out like we did Kodjia as targets go elsewhere. 

Flint, least likely to go imo. Seems every window he has admirers but never leaves. I’d say if an offer came in where he’d reveive a 50% plus pay rise then we’d let him go. Fee 5-6m is a realistic number for a high performing champ CB. 

Think we need to calm expectation down some. I doubt we will spend big on hopes we sell a couple players. The sales will probably have to happen first to spend more than an initial 5-6m imo. I would not be surprised to see 2 of the 3 mentioned above here day after deadline day either and fairly certain at least 1 will still be here. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d be fairly surprised if our budget pre player sales was more than 5m. So maybe roughly 7.5m if Magnússon goes. Hopefully the budget allows for a bit more in wages per week. 

As far as players leaving, I’d only class 3 actual contributors(counting Hörður as sold already) to have any more than 10% chance of being sold. Bryan, Reid and Flint in that order. Bryan most likely imo and I’d hope for 5-6m up front plus add ons.

Reid 7-8m as one of the top goal scorers in the league. His contract makes it a bit tougher to judge but if he goes I expect a decent fee. Think some are over valuing this final 12 month stuff. Should still be at 80-90% his actual value. Think we can hold out like we did Kodjia as targets go elsewhere. 

Flint, least likely to go imo. Seems every window he has admirers but never leaves. I’d say if an offer came in where he’d reveive a 50% plus pay rise then we’d let him go. Fee 5-6m is a realistic number for a high performing champ CB. 

Think we need to calm expectation down some. I doubt we will spend big on hopes we sell a couple players. The sales will probably have to happen first to spend more than an initial 5-6m imo. I would not be surprised to see 2 of the 3 mentioned above here day after deadline day either and fairly certain at least 1 will still be here. 

Considering it looks like we’re spending close to £5m+ on Marriot without any confirmed departures, I think we can pretty safely say our budget (without departures) is more than £5m. 

Recent history tells us it will be anyway.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Considering it looks like we’re spending close to £5m+ on Marriot without any confirmed departures, I think we can pretty safely say our budget (without departures) is more than £5m. 

Recent history tells us it will be anyway.

maybe we aren't

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bristol-city-receive-jack-marriott-1652740 

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Amortisation on his fee is practically irrelevant really given how little he cost. Albeit SOD thought it was too much! 

20 hours ago, Arthur Daley said:

Given that we agreed to buy Diony for what was reported to be north of 6 million, then that money would have been budgeted for and presumably therefore still now available given that we are not pursuing this deal any longer.  We usually spend pretty well in the Summer and think we will again. Should we sell the likes of Bryan then that will merely increase our transfer kitty.

If we were prepared to splash out £6m on Diony I must be worth at least £20m. 

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Great but that's nothing to do with my point

well it does, you say we look like spending 5 million + on marriot when Peterborough are saying they haven't had an exceptable bid so it means maybe we aren't spending 5 million +

27 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

well it does, you say we look like spending 5 million + on marriot when Peterborough are saying they haven't had an exceptable bid so it means maybe we aren't spending 5 million +

Yes Monkeh, because Barry Fry of all people is going to be totally honest about what's happening with a transfer

42 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Amortisation on his fee is practically irrelevant really given how little he cost. Albeit SOD thought it was too much! 

Probably need to factor in the sell-on profit for Swindon, 10% rumoured???

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

May well be only that in the end- but on paper I think we could spend £10m net personally and still remain FFP compliant. £10m over a season that is, so if we spent it in summer we'd have to have a quiet January or buy to sell- all IMO.

Archived