IGNORED

England Class of 2018

NewquayRed

Watched all of the player interviews from the media day at St Georges Park (worth a watch) and i have to say I was impressed, they all spoke well individually and you can really sense a togetherness/focus that I think is stating to build momentum. 

We know our style of play, we know our preferred formation when pushing and when holding and we have a pretty good idea of the first 11 going into the group games.

I'm most likely in the minority but I think we could do something this year with this group - reminds me of the way Glenn had us lined up in 98 which for me was the last decent team to step out in a tournament.

I am therefore officially raising my expectations, ready to be downtrodden and disappointed.... or not 

1 minute ago, NewquayRed said:

Watched all of the player interviews from the media day at St Georges Park (worth a watch) and i have to say I was impressed, they all spoke well individually and you can really sense a togetherness/focus that I think is stating to build momentum. 

We know our style of play, we know our preferred formation when pushing and when holding and we have a pretty good idea of the first 11 going into the group games.

I'm most likely in the minority but I think we could do something this year with this group - reminds me of the way Glenn had us lined up in 98 which for me was the last decent team to step out in a tournament.

I am therefore officially raising my expectations, ready to be downtrodden and disappointed.... or not 

Inexperience and younger players can come with a belief and lack of fear

We may surprise one or two yet

So drilled on what to say nowadays I don't think you can actually glean anything from player interviews.

I am excited though, fully believe we've got enough about us to a shock one or two. I'd be ecstatic with the Quarters.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

Agree 100% @Newquay-Red

Quarters AT LEAST

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

Agree 100% @Newquay-Red

Quarters AT LEAST

As much as I agree with what was said, you're thinking of the other NR! Before I saw him post a year or so ago I had always wondered why I had needed to put a hyphen between the words when I signed up here.

What is nice to see is that we have an identity we are trying to forge, but we need to ensure we can continue with it when the opposition changes tactics to match us on the pitch. Was impressed to see Sterling, Alli and Lingard being able to switch positions and drive forward so frequently. Southgate must be commended for this; you can see that he has worked with many of these boys since they were kids. That being said, I do think he needs to work on his game management a bit more. We are often susceptible to changes in opposition tactics and compared with the massive levels of expectation and pressure, this causes the team to fall flat at times.

I think we will just about get through the group but we might finish second to Belgium. We always draw the first game, and Belgium remind me of us at 2006- a massively hyped team of 'superstars' who have yet to show it on the international stage. If they click, we're in trouble. I expect the Panama game to be a scrappy affair too since they will most likely play for a draw.

I've really warmed to Southgate in the past few months. Was completely against his appointment because I basically thought he was Hodgson in younger form. He's definitely proved me wrong so far, just hopefully can get them to play well at a tournament.  

I think our starting 11 is reasonably strong. The depth not so much, but Vardy coming on for the last half an hour against some tired legs is going to cause any nation in the world a problem. 

Prediction: We'll win the group, beat Brazil in the quarters and go out to France in the semis. 

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

So drilled on what to say nowadays I don't think you can actually glean anything from player interviews.

I am excited though, fully believe we've got enough about us to a shock one or two. I'd be ecstatic with the Quarters.

Apart from Danny Roses frank admission about his mental state over the last year, you mean? That was definitely unexpected and off message.

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Apart from Danny Roses frank admission about his mental state over the last year, you mean? That was definitely unexpected and off message.

Meant with regards to upcoming games really, pre-match interviews, post-match interviews, we're so saturated with their monotonous opinions.

That was a shock though, yeah.

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I've really warmed to Southgate in the past few months. Was completely against his appointment because I basically thought he was Hodgson in younger form. He's definitely proved me wrong so far, just hopefully can get them to play well at a tournament.  

I think our starting 11 is reasonably strong. The depth not so much, but Vardy coming on for the last half an hour against some tired legs is going to cause any nation in the world a problem. 

Prediction: We'll win the group, beat Brazil in the quarters and go out to France in the semis. 

Whether he can cut it as a Manager at that level is yet to be proven really, but he certainly comes across really well in interviews. I thought he has handled the questions around Sterling's tattoo and the potential racist chanting from the crowds well. I would imagine he has the respect of his players too. 

I think most will be happy if we go there and play some attacking football instead of stinking the place out. Put an attacking line up out and blow away the first 2 teams who are pretty poor, obviously the Belgium game will be tough but if we reach the QF it will be a decent effort.

21 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Finish above Panama and Tunisia then beat Poland or Columbia doesn't seem the hardest task to reach the Quarters. Minimum expectation and see what happens thereafter.

Or possibly meet Senegal. Personally, I think we're more likely to play Colombia and they may very well beat us.

Seen that second half v Nigeria?  Any more sluggish and they'd be putting down pellets for us.

• Admin
Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Seen that second half v Nigeria?  Any more sluggish and they'd be putting down pellets for us.

I honestly believe we deliberately played that way to see how we would cope if we were on the back foot in a game

I'm sure it was when City played Pompey in a pre-season match two years ago, that LJ said we had purposely sat back in the second half to see how we played with teams coming onto us

After all that is what these "warm up" games are all about

Equally I fully expect us to go all out tonight to see if we can destroy a team

Just now, phantom said:

I honestly believe we deliberately played that way to see how we would cope if we were on the back foot in a game

I'm sure it was when City played Pompey in a pre-season match two years ago, that LJ said we had purposely sat back in the second half to see how we played with teams coming onto us

After all that is what these "warm up" games are all about

Equally I fully expect us to go all out tonight to see if we can destroy a team

I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong, Mr P. :fingerscrossed:

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

That would be very tidy indeed 

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Don't see us beating Brazil or even coming close. 

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I think you might well be right, and if they do can come back with their heads held high to a hero's reception and rightly so, let's keep our fingers crossed they do us proud. God knows we have waited long enough! 

Optimism levels now officially - High

Retro kits washed and ironed (France 98 my preference) Flag up the pole in the garden to annoy the neighbours and wife, spotify updates with England tunes.

(likely ready to be put away sometime before the 30th June but just cant resist it)

Southgate's quiet revolution has been great to see so far. Lots of negativity surrounded his appointment however he's implemented things we've needed for a very long time.

Young talented squad

Round pegs in round holes

No 'saviour' type player we are putting all our faith in

No players dressing up as saint George, awful adverts 

No calls to bring in any injured/ long retired players 

A clear and defined system, little tinkering 

No pre toirnament media scandals

Players seem comfortable in each other's company and respect him, relaxed vibe

Intelligent responses to media trying to stir shit up (sterling/rose/racism)

Built a team rather than a collection of individuals 

No awful world cup song

"Yes man" label hasn't stuck 

Cleared the old crap hart / Rooney 

Took England away from Wembley (great atmosphere at elland road)

We all know we don't have the calibre of players to win the world cup, not southgate's fault) QF would be considered a good effort. Lots to be optimistic about. Looking forward to this WC

21 hours ago, Super said:

Don't see us beating Brazil or even coming close. 

Why not? They haven't been the most convincing team in recent tournaments. We gave them a good game last year albeit a friendly, and they dont tend to fare well in Europe.

Just now, MarcusX said:

Why not? They haven't been the most convincing team in recent tournaments. We gave them a good game last year albeit a friendly, and they dont tend to fare well in Europe.

Because we will be found out defensively against the top teams. Just my opinion though.

I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. I absolutely agree with all of the praise of Southgate - he's the anti-Capello/Hodgson in many ways. Hodgson had no clue of the system and Capello ensured that the squad had no harmony, he's fixed both of those issues. He just simply doesn't have the talent to mount a serious challenge though.

Getting out of the group is an absolute minimum, but then where? Second round we face Poland or Colombia - many will say that we should absolutely be winning that, but the fact is, we are more in their bracket these days than France/Germany, etc. If we do lose to Poland or Colombia, we will be battered in the press, yet that would be totally unfair - those teams include some top players. Piszczek, Lewandowski, Szczesny, etc for Poland, and then Colombia have James Rodriguez, Cuadrado, Bacca, Falcao. They are much more of a challenge than many will think.

Quarter-finals would be an above average result imo, anything further would be amazing.

Archived