IGNORED

Amazon - Premier League Streaming

Bristol Rob

I see Amazon have won/paid/bid successfull for one of the premier league packages.

Sure that from next season, UK streaming of league games that don't kick off at 3pm on a Saturday is meant to be available as well.

Will this change your viewing habits or Sky subscription?

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

More tax avoidance me thinks. Does this mean you need 3 separate subscriptions to watch all live Premier League games? Hardly fair on the customer, but since when that matter.

Hopefully it might get a few people off their sofa and watching live football.

With 3 different UK providers of live television coverage, I'm sure I read you could be shelling out north of £700 for the lot.

Would imagine you could get a season ticket at most clubs for that outlay.

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

With 3 different UK providers of live television coverage, I'm sure I read you could be shelling out north of £700 for the lot.

Not Fulham if your an under 18 :fear:. I hope your right, but dont see it myself, people are obsessed with Premier League, especially the youngsters which I think is a shame.

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Not Fulham if your an under 18 :fear:. I hope your right, but dont see it myself, people are obsessed with Premier League, especially the youngsters which I think is a shame.

It's mental the way they look up to the players at the moment. Never remember being like that myself, but they're all obsessed with Sterling, Salah, Ozil and Lukaku. I'm still yet to find a young player idolising a true model citizen, big Arnold Garita. 

40 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I am already a Prime subscriber so for me won’t cost a penny extra which is good.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

Given how terrible Prime video is, I've not got a lot of hope for how Amazon handle this. It could set back sports streaming another decade if they **** this up.

It'll all be down to whether they do it justice or half-ass it.

I’ve got Prime and find it great! What issues do you have!? 

Who actually films, provides the cameras infrastructure and broadcasting ability ? I always thought Sky set it all up, but is it always the clubs, and then they give it to Sky,BT, Amazon and if that's the case why do we see SKy wheel into town for matches with all that equipment.

Just now, Fiale said:

Who actually films, provides the cameras infrastructure and broadcasting ability ? I always thought Sky set it all up, but is it always the clubs, and then they give it to Sky,BT, Amazon and if that's the case why do we see SKy wheel into town for matches with all that equipment.

Sky produce their games, BT producetheir games, Sky/BBC share production responsibilities for non-UK live 3pm games.

Just now, CyderInACan said:

I’ve got Prime and find it great! What issues do you have!? 

The interface is a lot slower than Netflix. With Netflix, I can browse categories, search, and use any key functionality quickly. On Prime on both the PS4 and on my TV it's abysmally slow.

The free library is also shit. There's a ton on there, but despite having a Prime subscription they want me to pay £20 for a series. Bollocks to that!

In terms of video quality, it's not bad, but again I find it a bit slower than others, so my worry is whether they will be capable of high-load streaming. It's one thing to offer video on-demand, but live streaming video is a bit different.

12 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I am already a Prime subscriber so for me won’t cost a penny extra which is good.

Amazon isn't a charity and has already shown a propensity to increase the overall fee for Prime if they have invested in adding content or services.

For example - it went up significantly following the non-negotiable inclusion of Prime Video, even though most of it is garbage compared to Netflix. 

In the US Amazon just raised the price from $99 to $119, effective next week. We likely will pay extra for Prem football, whether you want it or not.

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Sky produce their games, BT producetheir games, Sky/BBC share production responsibilities for non-UK live 3pm games.

So Amazon will be sending their people and cameras to clubs ? Will be interesting to see, maybe they can send a storage van as well so people at the game can pick up their packages.

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

So Amazon will be sending their people and cameras to clubs ? Will be interesting to see, maybe they can send a storage van as well so people at the game can pick up their packages.

Perhaps they’ll film it all from a delivery drone so it’ll just look like Sensible Soccer. 

Just now, Fiale said:

They'll likely use outsource much or all of the job to an existing production company.

Sky use a lot of resources (cameras, outside broadcast trucks etc) from NEP Visions, BT use Arena/Timeline TV/Telegenic. But certainly Amazon will have to provision coverage themselves.

What are the packages?
Package A - won by BT 32 matches on Saturdays at 12:30
Package B - won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Saturdays at 17:30
Package C - won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Sundays at 14:00 and eight matches on Saturdays at 19:45
Package D - won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Sundays at 16:30
Package E - won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Mondays at 20:00 or Fridays at 19:30/20:00 and eight matches on Sundays at 14:00
Package F - won by Amazon 10 matches from one Bank Holiday and all 10 from the Boxing Day fixture programme
Package G - won by BT 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

Great news.

More channels for streamers to rip content from and give it to us for free! Have never paid for a TV football subscription service (although I did get BCTV for iFollow when abroad) and am proud of that fact. The Sky monopoly days were a sign of why you don't pay for such a thing, unless you run a pub. 

It will be impossible for them to take away free streaming, no matter how many of the big boys come to the table.

Archived