IGNORED

One of my boyhood heroes - Lev Yashin

cidered abroad

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/yashin

A superb BBC page about one of the greats from the past. I saw the England v Rest of the World game at Wembley in 1963. A galaxy of stars to enjoy. Such memories are priceless. 

Back then we really only got to see players like Yashin  at the World Cup, so players like him, Eusabio, Pele and others had an exotic mystique about them. Also, in those days, by and large top international players played in their home countries and in the days before easy and cheap air travel foreign countries were a long way away.

With today's wall to wall football on the telly, and with to international stars playing mainly in Europe ( and some in England) and featuring on TV screens week in week out, I wonder whether today's youngsters regard these players with the same wide eyed wonder we did in our youth?

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Back then we really only got to see players like Yashin  at the World Cup, so players like him, Eusabio, Pele and others had an exotic mystique about them. Also, in those days, by and large top international players played in their home countries and in the days before easy and cheap air travel foreign countries were a long way away.

With today's wall to wall football on the telly, and with to international stars playing mainly in Europe ( and some in England) and featuring on TV screens week in week out, I wonder whether today's youngsters regard these players with the same wide eyed wonder we did in our youth?

The answer is sadly no, the same way the top European teams have lost their majesty. If you wanted you could watch Barcelona every week from the comfort of your Bristol armchair. In addition the top teams are now 'all stars', it used to be that for example Dynamo Moscow would be full of Russians, playing the Russian way etc. it's not the same anymore. Personally I don't get that interested in the Champions league circus.

56 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

John Galley as the song goes

Think the song pre-dates Galley and that it was  originally" Chris Crowe's better than Eusebio."

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

But who was better than Eusebio?

Not many if any. Saw him in 1961 at Wembley in a World Cup qualifier for 1962 in Chile. England won 2-1 but what an experience to see his pace and ball control.  And he also played in the Rest of the World in 1963.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Gibson was better, the song says so:yes:

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

and the rovers are in for a thrashing....................

Not heard of this song (Gibson was just before my time - it was Cashley/Shaw for me) so I'd love to know the full lyrics to this one, fellas. If you can remember them that is, you old bastards :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

But who was better than Eusebio?

was the question.....

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Not many if any. Saw him in 1961 at Wembley in a World Cup qualifier for 1962 in Chile. England won 2-1 but what an experience to see his pace and ball control.  And he also played in the Rest of the World in 1963.

Is the wrong answer....

3 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

John Galley as the song goes

Is the right one.

Aye,aye,aye,aye. (also heard we all agree)
Gibson is better than Yashin.
John Galley is better that Eusebio,
and R*vers are in for a thrashing.

Just for @Merrick's Marvels

40 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

was the question.....

Is the wrong answer....

Is the right one.

Aye,aye,aye,aye. (also heard we all agree)
Gibson is better than Yashin.
John Galley is better that Eusebio,
and R*vers are in for a thrashing.

Just for @Merrick's Marvels

Yes thought I wasn't going senile quite yet thanks for the reassurance it was Galley in our song chris crowe was send chris crowe to Mexico send Bert Tann to vietnam oh the Eastend days :laugh:

37 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes thought I wasn't going senile quite yet thanks for the reassurance it was Galley in our song chris crowe was send chris crowe to Mexico send Bert Tann to vietnam oh the Eastend days :laugh:

Definately Galley.

I remember a Chris Crowe song going...

If I had the wings of a sparrow,

If I had the wings of a crow

CHRIS CROWE!!!

I'd fly over Cardiff tomorrow,

And s××× on the b××××××× below below,

S××× on, s××× on....etc

1 hour ago, 42nite said:

Definately Galley.

CHRIS CROWE!!!

I'd fly over Eastville tomorrow,

S××× on, s××× on....etc

That's the verson I remember.

9 hours ago, 42nite said:

Definately Galley.

CHRIS CROWE!!!

I'd fly over Cardiff tomorrow,

S××× on, s××× on....etc

Yes Eastend reunion coming on :laugh:

On 07/06/2018 at 19:19, Davefevs said:

I wish someone would give me my Lev Yashin poster back.

On 07/06/2018 at 22:37, Bristol Rob said:

6 months ago I returned your Brown anorak....

But you keep forgetting,

And it’s far too upsetting. 

So baby, Ferenc Puskas to you! 

2 hours ago, GIBBO THE GREAT said:

ATYEO

At his level, John was a great player. But because he never played for his club at top tier level, it's difficult to compare him with other strikers, British, European or worldwide. 

So the answer is that we'll never know. The word and status of "Legend" is easily dished around. Just leave it that Eusebio is a legend at Benfica and Atyeo is a legend at City. 

Those of us who saw both live are very lucky and privileged. 

On 07/06/2018 at 23:43, RobintheRed Red said:

I can remember singing “Crowe is better than Eusebio” as though it was yesterday.  Don’t forget we signed Chris Crowe a season before John Galley (along with John Quigley and Hugh McIlmoyle) and that song was around shortly after the World Cup.  It was changed to Galley later after Crowe left.

Archived