IGNORED

England v Costa Rica

Super

1 minute ago, sticks 1969 said:

Read a interesting story about peter Davis saying that the press/ hacks etc had looked after him and then he slagged them in his book. But yes a very good read . Also steaming in buy the Arsenal fan ,forgot his name was another good read. Then you had the brimson brothers books absolutely crap ,wrote by a pair of Watford monkeys that I’d never seen at a game.

"Steaming In" is by Colin Ward IIRC. Think it includes an Arsenal visit to AG, but I may have books mixed up.

I presume you mean Dougie and Ed? I unearthed a few of theirs when I got a load of stuff out of storage a few weeks ago. But yes, awful stuff.

3 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Read a interesting story about peter Davis saying that the press/ hacks etc had looked after him and then he slagged them in his book. But yes a very good read . Also steaming in buy the Arsenal fan ,forgot his name was another good read. Then you had the brimson brothers books absolutely crap ,wrote by a pair of Watford monkeys that I’d never seen at a game.

We met one of the Brimsons in the Melting Pot in Toulouse is 98. Was an utter helmet.

Refused to admit he was one of the brothers and when he did admit it he then said the gas had a better 'mob' than City. 

After more than a few grumbles from my mates he shot off pretty sharpish.

Was a great trip though.

13 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

:whistle2:

:laughcont:

67C61F89-8B12-4F33-9545-AE1EED24B6D4.jpeg

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Makes me think of the Turkey game at Stadium Of Light (One of Rooney’s first games ?)

Awesome intimidating atmosphere

Pitch invasion if i remember right, very nasty, hostile atmosphere for the away fans if memory serves correctly 

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Seeing how no-one else has stepped up to the plate as yet...

Just edges three lions for me but both great songs. Vindaloo was crap.

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wasn’t it just after the Leeds fans had been stabbed or may have been a different attack on English by the Turks

Yes that’s right, and maybe Arsenal has problems with galatasry in Holland?

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

Welbeck does have a good rate of scoring in an England shirt, Arsenal fans must wonder why he doesn't score more for them..

He has a pretty reasonable rate for them doesnt he?

Seem to remember him coming back from injury, scoring a handful and then getting injured again each of the last few seasons.

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

3 Lions wasn’t a WC Song or at least originally

World In Motion in 90 was the classic

Back Home wasn’t bad either

That John Barnes rap is what makes it the best imo. Incredible to have a player getting involved with the songs.

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Well, after Phase 1 was successfully navigated (reasonably dominant qualifying), we have now made it through Phase 2 (success in the pre-tournament friendlies).

We are well place for Phase 3: stumbling, dismal opener v our supposed whipping boys.

Englands tournaments summed up.

5 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Keith? Or am I going mad?

No it is slightly confusing

Keith Allen (Father of Lily) wrote the lyrics for  ‘Vindaloo’ and co-wrote ‘World In Motion’’

Kevin  Allen was a journalist who made the fantastic diary documentary about Italia 90 from a fans experience

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure he would have made my squad but Delph has been impressive

My motm, didn't waste a pass and was composed gaining an extra second on the ball than anyone else. 

Radford was unplayable 1st half; Loftus Cheek also played very very well with plenty of guile 

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Where are you MM ?

There are some Keynsham lads on there 

At the very top, under the "O" of "OF" looking to the left and under the "A" looking straight ahead - both thankful to be in the shade (it was a hot old day, if I remember correctly).

A great trip, apart from the England matches going tits up!!    

But as fans of Dutch football since the 70's, we also had tickets for the semi finals (Holland knocking out Germany, in Germany, is hard to beat) and the final (Marco van Basten was quite good, wasn't he?) 

Gave up following England after that tournament - if only we'd stuck with it for 2 more years...! 

Ratings: (no half points)

Butland 6 did what he had to

Alexander Arnold 6 steady debut, for all of praise of his dead-balls, not enough missed the first man

Rose 7 much more like it, actually tried to beat his man rather than previous sterile performances.  Gets the nod for me.

Jones 7 much maligned but thought he had a really tidy game tonight

Stones 6 steady, one bad pass, but I like the fact that he looks like he’s developing into a lesder

Maguire 6 needed a stormer tonight after Cahill’s last game, and did what was expected.  Tough call between him and Cahill.

Henderson 7 decent game doing the right things, keeping it moving and played some good passes in final third.  Gets the nod for me over Dier

Loftus-Cheek 6 (rounded down) got more in his locker and could really impose himself if he believes in his own ability.  A star in Qatar.

Delph 8 quite excellent tonight, gave us a really nice balance.  Headache for Southgate.

Vardy 5 so wanted him to do well because I wanted him to partner Kane, but....

Rashford 9 will most likely get the gig after a very good performance tonight. Spoke very maturely afterwards.

Team for Tunisia

Pickford

Trippier Walker Stones Cahill / Maguire Rose

Henderson Delph

Alli

Kane (c) Rashford

Although would surprise me if Lingard gets the nod over Delph.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Got to say I love some of those traditional Costa Rican names.

Like Ian Smith.

:laughcont:

The Caribbean coasts of most Central American states (except Mexico) are largely English-speaking Afro-Caribbeans. I think it's Costa Rica who also have a Rod Wallace in their squad. But not THAT Rod Wallace.

Talking of demographics - this thread mentioned how Keith Allen appears on various England football songs, but he's actually Welsh. How does that work??!

Archived