IGNORED

England v Costa Rica

Super

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

:laughcont:

The Caribbean coasts of most Central American states (except Mexico) are largely English-speaking Afro-Caribbeans. I think it's Costa Rica who also have a Rod Wallace in their squad. But not THAT Rod Wallace.

Talking of demographics - this thread mentioned how Keith Allen appears on various England football songs, but he's actually Welsh. How does that work??!

Genuinely just learned something there.

Think that's a first time for me on OTIB.

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yep, my mistake, should have said tournament song.

'98 version for the WC.

I do think the '98 sticks as more timeless- the chorus no longer being "30 years of hurt", but the '96 version being better overall.

That said, the entire German fan team having "Kuntz" on the back of their shirt in the '98 one does make me laugh.

https://www.football365.com/news/kuntz-lied-to-his-mum-about-baddiel-and-skinner-joke

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ratings: (no half points)

Butland 6 did what he had to

Alexander Arnold 6 steady debut, for all of praise of his dead-balls, not enough missed the first man

Rose 7 much more like it, actually tried to beat his man rather than previous sterile performances.  Gets the nod for me.

Jones 7 much maligned but thought he had a really tidy game tonight

Stones 6 steady, one bad pass, but I like the fact that he looks like he’s developing into a lesder

Maguire 6 needed a stormer tonight after Cahill’s last game, and did what was expected.  Tough call between him and Cahill.

Henderson 7 decent game doing the right things, keeping it moving and played some good passes in final third.  Gets the nod for me over Dier

Loftus-Cheek 6 (rounded down) got more in his locker and could really impose himself if he believes in his own ability.  A star in Qatar.

Delph 8 quite excellent tonight, gave us a really nice balance.  Headache for Southgate.

Vardy 5 so wanted him to do well because I wanted him to partner Kane, but....

Rashford 9 will most likely get the gig after a very good performance tonight. Spoke very maturely afterwards.

Team for Tunisia

Pickford

Trippier Walker Stones Cahill / Maguire Rose

Henderson Delph

Alli

Kane (c) Rashford

Although would surprise me if Lingard gets the nod over Delph.

I think for first 2 games we should go for the more attacking option so Alli alongside Henderson. 

16 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Henderson is fine as a defender, but attacking he is useless, loves to request the ball and then either pass back or sideways. Loftus-Cheek is ace, gets the ball and looks to go forward nearly every time. 

You mean except the fact he demanded the ball and moved it forward quickly which led to Rashford's goal?

The players in front of him need to move so that he can give them the ball, he manages it for Liverpool.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Alexander Arnold 6 steady debut, for all of praise of his dead-balls, not enough missed the first man

Rose 7 much more like it, actually tried to beat his man rather than previous sterile performances.  Gets the nod for me.

Stones 6 steady, one bad pass, but I like the fact that he looks like he’s developing into a lesder

Maguire 6 needed a stormer tonight after Cahill’s last game, and did what was expected.  Tough call between him and Cahill.

Henderson 7 decent game doing the right things, keeping it moving and played some good passes in final third.  Gets the nod for me over Dier

Loftus-Cheek 6 (rounded down) got more in his locker and could really impose himself if he believes in his own ability.  A star in Qatar.

Delph 8 quite excellent tonight, gave us a really nice balance.  Headache for Southgate.

Rashford 9 will most likely get the gig after a very good performance tonight. Spoke very maturely afterwards.

Team for Tunisia

Pickford

Henderson Delph

Alli

Kane (c) Rashford

I agree with most of this

I like the back 3, i'm torn between Cahill (experienced, know what you're getting) and Maguire (can play the ball, big threat at set pieces but a bit unknown still at international level). Trippier & Rose probably the best options at wing back.

Henderson sitting, with 2 higher up - Alli and Lingard for me. Though Delph was surprisingly good last night, I think Lingard has more energy

Kane and Rashford upfront after last nights performance. Vardy and Sterling to be dangerous from the bench running at a tired defence.

We *should* sail past Tunisia and Panama if we can attack and play without fear

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Team for Tunisia

Pickford

Henderson Delph

Alli

Kane (c) Rashford

Not sure I’d start Dele personally. I’m swaying towards Lingard for that position. Apart from that though, I think that’s spot on.

I never really bother watching England as it bores me but I really enjoyed it last night. What a difference it makes having an international game away from Wembley?

Impressed with our pressing and tactics last night. Think Southgate has done a decent job so far, he seems to have found the right balance and formation. 

I’ll say it quietly but I think we’ll have a decent tournament. Not going to win it but with a bit of luck, we could reach the semifinals. I think that would be a great foundation to work with, especially with the successes of the England youth coming through.

Good luck to the lads. Play with no fear and forget the knobends that they call the media!

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I agree with most of this

I like the back 3, i'm torn between Cahill (experienced, know what you're getting) and Maguire (can play the ball, big threat at set pieces but a bit unknown still at international level). Trippier & Rose probably the best options at wing back.

Henderson sitting, with 2 higher up - Alli and Lingard for me. Though Delph was surprisingly good last night, I think Lingard has more energy

Kane and Rashford upfront after last nights performance. Vardy and Sterling to be dangerous from the bench running at a tired defence.

We *should* sail past Tunisia and Panama if we can attack and play without fear

Yeah, I meant I wouldn’t be surprised that Alli starts over Delph, but Delph has always played well for England.

23 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Did you ever watch Kevin Allen’s Video Diary about Italia 90 mate ?

Best documentary about following England at a tournament ever

watched it yesterday evening on You Tube- ahhhhhhhhhhhhh memories :thumbsup:

A must-watch before any major tournament! Great show...thanks for the reminder.

Is there a better way of capturing the excitement of heading off than his ecstatic yelling when he's crossed the border into Italy? Haha!

I was with my in-laws following Ireland in Sicily. More sedate...wonderful though...

Archived