IGNORED

Safe standing backing

Roger Red Hat

24 minutes ago, hodge said:

They're only backing it because the current government isn't behind it, it they were they'd probably oppose it. Doesn't mean labour really believes in it. 

That's not really true - Corbyn has always supported it as an Arsenal fan himself (not just a plastic one either, he has a ST)

• SC&T Board Members
9 hours ago, Tomarse said:

That's not really true - Corbyn has always supported it as an Arsenal fan himself (not just a plastic one either, he has a ST)

Corbyn in fact voted against the Football Spectators Bill in the summer of 1989. So he's been pretty consistent on this one.

I met Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, the shadow sports minister, about safe standing last December, since when she has done a lot of homework and consultation with fan groups. She is a matchgoing fan (LFC) and does really 'get it'.

So this formal announcement today was certainly not a token gesture.

Now the Tories' turn!

21 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Anyone who thinks this is anything more than a gesture to gain popularity shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Mods this is going to turn into a messy thread about politics, I use this forum for a bit of escapism, now I have a picture of that scruffy ***** in my head.

Are you allowed to vote?

• SC&T Board Members

Any policy announced by any political party is intended to gain popularity. That is their raison d'etre and the core principle of democracy, i.e. politicians are elected to do what the electorate wants.

For the record, the LibDems, the Greens and, for what it's worth, UKIP also have support for safe standing as formal party policy.

The Tories, at present, do not.

6 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

Any policy announced by any political party is intended to gain popularity. That is their raison d'etre and the core principle of democracy, i.e. politicians are elected to do what the electorate wants.

For the record, the LibDems, the Greens and, for what it's worth, UKIP also have support for safe standing as formal party policy.

The Tories, at present, do not.

Which is surprising as you'd think the Tories would be the one party to be the least PC and so not so health and safety conscious, but in saying that I guess a lot of the football tragedies that have happened have been when they've been in government so maybe they want to keep these kinds of policies in place to cover there previous failings

• SC&T Board Members
3 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

if safe standing is allowed does it have any change on capacity?

It looks as though the national regulations that will then be in place when safe standing is given the green light will not rule out an increase in capacity. However, that will be subject to strict criteria and while those may not be too hard to satisfy with new builds, for retrofits it may be more difficult. That relates in particular to the size of vomitories and concourses and thus to evacuation times. At most grounds the exits etc. are no larger than is required to evacuate the current capacity within the prescribed time. If you increase the number of people inside such a ground, you would therefore be unable to evacuate them fast enough... unless you did quite a lot of expensive structural work (if that was indeed possible).

So in theory, yes, a capacity increase will be possible. In practice it will vary from fround to ground and at some may not be possible at all.

17 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Which is surprising as you'd think the Tories would be the one party to be the least PC and so not so health and safety conscious, but in saying that I guess a lot of the football tragedies that have happened have been when they've been in government so maybe they want to keep these kinds of policies in place to cover there previous failings

not really it was a thatcher era policy and the tories will do anything to uphold her legacy 

• SC&T Board Members
2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

not really it was a thatcher era policy and the tories will do anything to uphold her legacy 

I'm not sure. I imagine there are parts of her legacy that many Tory MPs would now not sign up to. Like, for instance, basing government policy on an odious and now wholly discredited lie.

Archived