IGNORED

Squeal like a hog, boy

On 09/06/2018 at 22:19, screech said:

A few places I have seen them about is Parkend, Yorkley, Bream. There's plenty of wooded area walks around there, tend to see them getting quite brave early evening and are usually at the woodside.

THANK YOU.

Just one sensible answer amongst a sea of piss-taking.

Obviously, France is not the FoD, but we had a lovely incident here a few years ago.

One evening, just before dusk, a mother (presumably) and her small troupeau of at least four piglets came trotting past our garden: I was taken by surprise, quite shocked and, if truth be known, a little scared, so made to retreat to the safety of the house, only to find the piglets following me!

Mother boar seemed less than pleased and made some horrible roaring, snorting noise; stopping the piglets in their tracks, and causing me to sprint (poetic licence) to the safety of my front door.

I kid you not, but I was shaking for several minutes until I saw the delightful family trotting away down the lane.

An adult boar is a big animal indeed!

On 15/06/2018 at 17:31, PHILINFRANCE said:

Obviously, France is not the FoD, but we had a lovely incident here a few years ago.

One evening, just before dusk, a mother (presumably) and her small troupeau of at least four piglets came trotting past our garden: I was taken by surprise, quite shocked and, if truth be known, a little scared, so made to retreat to the safety of the house, only to find the piglets following me!

Mother boar seemed less than pleased and made some horrible roaring, snorting noise; stopping the piglets in their tracks, and causing me to sprint (poetic licence) to the safety of my front door.

I kid you not, but I was shaking for several minutes until I saw the delightful family trotting away down the lane.

An adult boar is a big animal indeed!

Thank you for your contribution.

Encountered a couple of them last week during a forest walk in Edge End area.. Two large ones (one huge and ugly) watching us from about 20yrds away on edge of clearing.. Thankfully as we turned to leave they also turned tail and bounded rapidly away, (unbelievably fast, reckon they'd easily outrun most people and they were much bigger than we imagined they would be..) my adult son exclaimed   '' bloody hell, it's like something out of Robot Wars!..lets get out of here!! ".

Take a drive along the Staunton/Edge End road and you'll see plenty of signs that they're there (roadside verges look like they've been roughly rotovated by a mad farmer!) and they're not shy of traffic. Saw one eating a roadside (probable roadkill) deceased corpse of a dear. Drove passed a few times and 'the beast' although wary of us returned to his 'meal' undeterred.

Read that initially after they populated the forest a decision was made to maintain the numbers at that time of about 90 Boars, controlled by licenced official culling if/when necessary... The figure was later revised to allow about 440 of them (struggling to control population obviously)

The 440 odd target figure still apparently stands with maybe a couple of dozen culled per year.... which is a joke 'controlled population' as its estimated that there is currently upwards of Twelve Hundred of the beasts roaming freely throughout the forest... Peoples gardens are being ripped up by these potentially dangerous animals as they become ever bolder in their roaming... Reports many older forest dwellers have become fearful of leaving their homes after dusk. Supporters & 'friends of the boar' members maintain that they will only attack when they are protecting young piglets … try telling that to the dozens of dog walkers who have seen their dogs attacked and killed by the giant beasts.

Interesting to see them, then in our case we quickly began to question if they should really be allowed to roam freely and virtually uncontrolled in the forest at all... People are now wary of taking traditional beautiful walks through the forest, and that cant be right.

(youtube vids show wild boar in the Forest of Dean and elsewhere, check out how quickly they can run and how menacing they appear, they are surprisingly mobile for their size.)

Anyway Parkend, Staunton, and Edge End areas are a few places that if you're hoping to get a 'boar' sighting you've got a decent chance... be warned the big ones are 'like something out of frigging Robot Wars' though! :farmer:

13 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Encountered a couple of them last week during a forest walk in Edge End area.. Two large ones (one huge and ugly) watching us from about 20yrds away on edge of clearing.. Thankfully as we turned to leave they also turned tail and bounded rapidly away, (unbelievably fast, reckon they'd easily outrun most people and they were much bigger than we imagined they would be..) my adult son exclaimed   '' bloody hell, it's like something out of Robot Wars!..lets get out of here!! ".

Take a drive along the Staunton/Edge End road and you'll see plenty of signs that they're there (roadside verges look like they've been roughly rotovated by a mad farmer!) and they're not shy of traffic. Saw one eating a roadside (probable roadkill) deceased corpse of a dear. Drove passed a few times and 'the beast' although wary of us returned to his 'meal' undeterred.

Read that initially after they populated the forest a decision was made to maintain the numbers at that time of about 90 Boars, controlled by licenced official culling if/when necessary... The figure was later revised to allow about 440 of them (struggling to control population obviously)

The 440 odd target figure still apparently stands with maybe a couple of dozen culled per year.... which is a joke 'controlled population' as its estimated that there is currently upwards of Twelve Hundred of the beasts roaming freely throughout the forest... Peoples gardens are being ripped up by these potentially dangerous animals as they become ever bolder in their roaming... Reports many older forest dwellers have become fearful of leaving their homes after dusk. Supporters & 'friends of the boar' members maintain that they will only attack when they are protecting young piglets … try telling that to the dozens of dog walkers who have seen their dogs attacked and killed by the giant beasts.

Interesting to see them, then in our case we quickly began to question if they should really be allowed to roam freely and virtually uncontrolled in the forest at all... People are now wary of taking traditional beautiful walks through the forest, and that cant be right.

(youtube vids show wild boar in the Forest of Dean and elsewhere, check out how quickly they can run and how menacing they appear, they are surprisingly mobile for their size.)

Anyway Parkend, Staunton, and Edge End areas are a few places that if you're hoping to get a 'boar' sighting you've got a decent chance... be warned the big ones are 'like something out of frigging Robot Wars' though! :farmer:

Well they've allowed the chuffing sheep to roam the Vorest for centuries.

On 10/07/2018 at 01:15, WhistleHappy said:

Good post.

Archived