IGNORED

Lord Mark Lucan

The Nest Egg

He was one of the most visible people in the bloody country when we were doing well. If I had a pound for every time I saw a newspaper article of him standing in the Gate, doing that smug smile while his arms are folded (you know the one), claiming that we were the most forward thinking club ever and that there were no obstacles to our path to the highest level, I could probably put in a bid for Bobby to come to my local team and maybe even help clean my house at the weekend.

Then, once Normal Bristol City came back, he disappeared. To be fair, his last two media appearances were complete clangers. Talking about how we weren't challenging for promotion this year (which the whole squad seemed to take as gospel), and how Diony could break our transfer record if we signed him *shudder*. Now, he's hiding away. Actually, no scratch that, in true Lord Lucan style he's only gone and dispatched some staff in suspicious fashion before going AWOL! 

I want to believe the 'plan', and when it worked well we sure were riding high. Yet, as the club approaches arguably the most important window in a considerable time, the signs are ominous. Do we have an actual head of recruitment? Mervyn Day was meant to be an interim appointment and I can't help but find it a bit uninspiring if he is now the permanent choice. The recruitment has been unacceptably poor and will only be exposed more if the double winning spine leaves. Joe, Bobby and co have only papered over the cracks on the most part. I can't escape the fact that Mark seems a 'fair weather leader' who has now gone into hiding now the rain is here. Even last year, he posted a summer transfer update to the YouTube channel and went on RB. There are two possibilities to this. Either he is working 12 hour days to fix it (which makes me look like an idiot), or he's bitten off more than he can chew. 

It's been an odd two years, and I think we are slowly tiring of it if there is no progress. The token half a season where we are world beaters is great, but after that we must be amongst the most embarrassing teams to support in the country. I give them one more season, and if we get more of the same than I'm sorry but that won't be enough after the outlay spent on an already bloated squad.

This is your time, Mark. We have seen through the corporate speak, and the suits, and the interviews done with expensive bottles of wine in the background. It's time to back it up by navigating this potentially disastrous window with the ability you and your backroom team may have shown in parts, but need to do so a lot more consistently if we want to get above the smallish yet well run clubs like Preston and Brentford, not to mention the moneyspinners. Please, through your actions over the next few months, make this the most moronic post I have ever submitted to this forum. I, however, have increasing doubts that this will happen.

I said from the minute he walked through the door, that I didn't trust that smarmy bastard! Youre spot on, when we were doing well, he couldn't get enough of the media attention. Funny how he went missing when it went tits up. I don't know how involved he is in the recruitment, but if he is, what are his qualifications? 2 games for West Brom reserves doesn't cut it for me!

3 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

I said from the minute he walked through the door, that I didn't trust that smarmy bastard! Youre spot on, when we were doing well, he couldn't get enough of the media attention. Funny how he went missing when it went tits up. I don't know how involved he is in the recruitment, but if he is, what are his qualifications? 2 games for West Brom reserves doesn't cut it for me!

He ensures the processes are in place and works us through the spider web

:thumbsup:

Vastly unappreciated

6 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

Let's hope Richard Scudamore is interested in the CEO post at AG.

27 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

He was one of the most visible people in the bloody country when we were doing well. If I had a pound for every time I saw a newspaper article of him standing in the Gate, doing that smug smile while his arms are folded (you know the one), claiming that we were the most forward thinking club ever and that there were no obstacles to our path to the highest level, I could probably put in a bid for Bobby to come to my local team and maybe even help clean my house at the weekend.

Then, once Normal Bristol City came back, he disappeared. To be fair, his last two media appearances were complete clangers. Talking about how we weren't challenging for promotion this year (which the whole squad seemed to take as gospel), and how Diony could break our transfer record if we signed him *shudder*. Now, he's hiding away. Actually, no scratch that, in true Lord Lucan style he's only gone and dispatched some staff in suspicious fashion before going AWOL! 

I want to believe the 'plan', and when it worked well we sure were riding high. Yet, as the club approaches arguably the most important window in a considerable time, the signs are ominous. Do we have an actual head of recruitment? Mervyn Day was meant to be an interim appointment and I can't help but find it a bit uninspiring if he is now the permanent choice. The recruitment has been unacceptably poor and will only be exposed more if the double winning spine leaves. Joe, Bobby and co have only papered over the cracks on the most part. I can't escape the fact that Mark seems a 'fair weather leader' who has now gone into hiding now the rain is here. Even last year, he posted a summer transfer update to the YouTube channel and went on RB. There are two possibilities to this. Either he is working 12 hour days to fix it (which makes me look like an idiot), or he's bitten off more than he can chew. 

It's been an odd two years, and I think we are slowly tiring of it if there is no progress. The token half a season where we are world beaters is great, but after that we must be amongst the most embarrassing teams to support in the country. I give them one more season, and if we get more of the same than I'm sorry but that won't be enough after the outlay spent on an already bloated squad.

This is your time, Mark. We have seen through the corporate speak, and the suits, and the interviews done with expensive bottles of wine in the background. It's time to back it up by navigating this potentially disastrous window with the ability you and your backroom team may have shown in parts, but need to do so a lot more consistently if we want to get above the smallish yet well run clubs like Preston and Brentford, not to mention the moneyspinners. Please, through your actions over the next few months, make this the most moronic post I have ever submitted to this forum. I, however, have increasing doubts that this will happen.

:pray: 

Please Bob let the season start soon...

37 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Then, once Normal Bristol City came back, he disappeared.

Wasn't it a similar story the previous season?

He's all over the media when we're doing well and disappears when we're not.

It really is pathetic behaviour from someone in such a senior position. 

Five weeks since the end of this season and eight weeks to start of next. 

They've sold ST's to the regulars so job done perhaps. Don't need to keep us informed do they? 

OK, I know that we won't get any clues about who is going or arriving. But no little soundbites or just an appearance! 

The Invisible Man has returned at BCFC. 

Did anyone ( except Robbored who was smitten with Mr Char isma) expect anything from him?

Fired by Oxford, despised by Watford fans, sued Watford and lost, & took credit for the successful recruitment by Cotts in L1 even though he wasn't working here at the time. Poor cv and I question why SL appointed him.

So nothing to do with the media wanting to talk to him when we are doing well? You think little Bristol City are of any interest when we are in normal period of form? 

During the Manchester games I will get they were knocking down the door to interview everybody, from the ball boys up, we know that is true because one of them got a full page spread.

After that, if he rang the press to ask for an interview to explain our poor run, he would have been met with a "Mark who?"

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So nothing to do with the media wanting to talk to him when we are doing well? You think little Bristol City are of any interest when we are in normal period of form? 

During the Manchester games I will get they were knocking down the door to interview everybody, from the ball boys up, we know that is true because one of them got a full page spread.

After that, if he rang the press to ask for an interview to explain our poor run, he would have been met with a "Mark who?"

Well, no. There are obviously two sides to this, and I didn't include it as it's an obvious assumption to make. However, even last year he made appearances on the club's communication channels (shudder), or to see Mr McGregorface, and this hasn't been apparent either. I just think it's funny how he has done the two extremes this season- if anything it mirrors what we have done on the pitch! 

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yeah......ok then

And you want Mark Ashton ( that you’ve so lauded ).   out now do you ?

:laughcont:

Running with the hares and the hounds 

MA's credibity dipped considerably in my eyes due to his lack of appearances in the second half of last season. He was definitely awol - hiding in other words.

Scudamore would be a tremendous addition to his home town club with his vast executive experience and his numerous contacts within the game.

Questions for me are two fold, 1) would SL approach him? 2) would Scudamore be interested? He may just want to enjoy his retirement.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

MA's credibity dipped considerably in my eyes due to his lack of appearances in the second half of last season. He was definitely awol - hiding in other words.

Scudamore would be a tremendous addition to his home town club with his vast executive experience and his numerous contacts within the game.

Questions for me are two fold, 1) would SL approach him? 2) would Scudamore be interested? He may just want to enjoy his retirement.

I think the answer to question 1 means we’ll never know the answer to question 2, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For all my criticism of LJ, which I actually think has been fair / balanced (I also priaise some of his stuff too), I do think a big part of the problem is MA.  When I heard that he is too involved in player critiquing (not just the contractual side) that raised alarm bells.  Evidence of his time at other clubs seems to see a trend that you don’t need data analysts to see.

My summary, a wannabe footballer, who wasn’t good enough (or tall enough to be a GK), but wants to live in that world.  Obviously a bright bloke, but in it for himself.  Look at me, look at me!!

I think we’d see a truer LJ without MA, and also a more consistent commentary coming out of SL and LJ.

By all means bring in a guy to run the football operations, but keep it to operations, not the whole football side.  COO to CEO is actually a big role change, who made that change....did he self-change it?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Let's hope Richard Scudamore is interested in the CEO post at AG.

Now that would be an excellent shout and could probably do an excellent job part time. He would also fit the club policy of "one for the future" whilst making a telling contribution now.

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Just perhaps Mark Ashton listened to supporters who criticized him for being in the media too often ?

Maybe he's working even harder behind the scenes to lay the foundations of the coming season ?

Personally I only want to hear from him when he has something of interest to say.

And just perhaps not and @Newquay-Red is correct.

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

Ding ding ding! Here comes the Major with a regular dose of incoherence.

Scratch off your bingo cards boys...

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

:pray: 

Please Bob let the season start soon...

Bob Taylor is God, 

There for Bob = God

So read, Please God let the season start soon...  

Simples , or QED whichev's :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Just perhaps Mark Ashton listened to supporters who criticized him for being in the media too often ?

Maybe he's working even harder behind the scenes to lay the foundations of the coming season ?

Personally I only want to hear from him when he has something of interest to say.

Agree with the last sentence....only, the second sentence....possibly, the first sentence.....no way.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For all my criticism of LJ, which I actually think has been fair / balanced (I also priaise some of his stuff too), I do think a big part of the problem is MA.  When I heard that he is too involved in player critiquing (not just the contractual side) that raised alarm bells.  Evidence of his time at other clubs seems to see a trend that you don’t need data analysts to see.

My summary, a wannabe footballer, who wasn’t good enough (or tall enough to be a GK), but wants to live in that world.  Obviously a bright bloke, but in it for himself.  Look at me, look at me!!

I think we’d see a truer LJ without MA, and also a more consistent commentary coming out of SL and LJ.

By all means bring in a guy to run the football operations, but keep it to operations, not the whole football side.  COO to CEO is actually a big role change, who made that change....did he self-change it?

I have long suspected that Ashton is the de facto DoF and that LJ has rather less control than claimed.

1 hour ago, Cider_boy said:

Wasn't it a similar story the previous season?

He's all over the media when we're doing well and disappears when we're not.

It really is pathetic behaviour from someone in such a senior position. 

He actually makes me want us to do badly, so I never hear from him again. ;)

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

So, as a result he stopped being in the media, it just happened to be as our form dipped.

He then decided he wasn't in the media enough, by coincidence, the on-pitch form improved at just the same time.

Amazingly, he again stopped being in the media so much, and the players were so disappointed that their performances fell again.

So, if he can just push himself to the fore for the whole of next season, we'll get promoted regardless of any summer ins and outs.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Come on , this is Newquay Red you're referring to .

:whistle2:

Looks like I've made a friend @Phileas Fogg, aren't I lucky? 

I would bite and argue but 

a) Nobody wants yet another OTIB-style deviation on the topic

b) Arguing with you would be like fighting a baby. An easy win, but I'd feel too bad. Have this instead. It's just for you!

forthemajor.png

10 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

I don't know how involved he is in the recruitment, but if he is, what are his qualifications? 2 games for West Brom reserves doesn't cut it for me!

I’m not the biggest MA supporter but his football experience is much more than “2 games for West Brom reserves” - he was a director at West Brom for 14 years, he was the chief executive at Watford for nearly 5 years and he was the chief executive at Oxford for nearly 2 years - he’s held senior positions at four football clubs for over 20 years so he must have had some experience of the recruitment process....

Archived