IGNORED

Spectacular fall from grace - Diony

Major Isewater

Around this time last year a young footballer became the record signing for a prestigious club in the French top division.

Lois Diony must have felt like the king of the world , courted by many , offered riches beyond belief and looking forward to a bright future.

Fast forward 12 months , the lad is out of work , hasn't scored a first team goal all season and is a laughing stock at , amongst others , the two clubs he played for during that time.

Has there ever been a more dramatic footballing fall from grace ? 

For your hearts sake I didn't put this thread on the transfer section .

Is someone, somewhere going to get him firing again on a free transfer with minimal wages ? 

This really is a baffling case . 

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Around this time last year a young footballer became the record signing for a prestigious club in the French top division.

Lois Diony must have felt like the king of the world , courted by many , offered riches beyond belief and looking forward to a bright future.

Fast forward 12 months , the lad is out of work , hasn't scored a first team goal all season and is a laughing stock at , amongst others , the two clubs he played for during that time.

Is someone, somewhere going to get him firing again on a free transfer with minimal wages ? 

Has his contract at St Etienne been cancelled? 

Feel for him really. Shows how much progress can be made in a year. He and Reid are the same age.. a year ago many on here would’ve been happy to let Reid go (myself included) and Diony was undergoing his big transfer.. a year later and Reid is hugely in demand and Diony seemingly nowhere..

Still got many years left of his career so time to turn it around.. I suspect some of the issue is in his mind. He alluded to this himself whilst here. I think he’s probably a good player really, hope he turns it round.

44 minutes ago, phantom said:

Tony Dinning? 

Lee Tomlin? 

Taylor Moore? 

Gustav Engvall? 

Dinning never really had a career.......

Tomlin has played in the PL and is doing well, at least financially in his career

Taylor Moore and Engvall are both young guys who haven't yet achieved anything much in their careers so far.

Francis Jeffers was a player who suddenly lost any sort of goal scoring form after leaving Everton for Arsenal. He subsequently played for a host of clubs, scoring about 20 goals in 10 years 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Feel for him really. Shows how much progress can be made in a year. He and Reid are the same age.. a year ago many on here would’ve been happy to let Reid go (myself included) and Diony was undergoing his big transfer.. a year later and Reid is hugely in demand and Diony seemingly nowhere..

Still got many years left of his career so time to turn it around.. I suspect some of the issue is in his mind. He alluded to this himself whilst here. I think he’s probably a good player really, hope he turns it round.

If ever there was a reason for Bobby to move elsewhere this is it. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

No, because he still plays for Saint-Étienne?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Dinning never really had a career.......

Tomlin has played in the PL and is doing well, at least financially in his career

Taylor Moore and Engvall are both young guys who haven't yet achieved anything much in their careers so far.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tongue in cheek remark Chris.........

So basically he was right in the names given?

All listed turned out to be worse players that what we signed

1 minute ago, 42nite said:

Didn't Lee say he'd been watching him for a while?

If so, what did he see?

He did say that, but whilst Diony would be on our ‘database’ I don’t believe he was heavily scouted and a true target.  

14 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Players don't turn bad overnight. He done well in Ligue 2, and was a 7m purchase last summer. Has his contract actually been cancelled or has he been transfer listed ? He could make someone a very good free transfer.

Did you see him play for us..?!

I genuinely don’t think I’ve seen a worse player! Even Bad Savage looked like Lionel Messi compared to Diony..!

There is clear something wrong and it must go deeper than a spell of bad form. Did anyone actually check that it was him turning up on matchdays, and not his twin brother who’d never kicked a football before..?!

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I genuinely don’t think I’ve seen a worse player! Even Bad Savage looked like Lionel Messi compared to Diony..!

There is clear something wrong and it must go deeper than a spell of bad form. Did anyone actually check that it was him turning up on matchdays, and not his twin brother who’d never kicked a football before..?!

The only time he looked quite good for us was his first appearance against QPR. Didn't get much of the ball but you could see, from his positioning and aggression, that he had something. Sadly that substitute cameo was the best we got.

20 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I saw him come on against Norwich and he looked quite bright that day and nearly got in one on one with Gunn, but Gunn read the pass. I didn't say he would make a good free transfer for us, I just said he could make a good free transfer. But if he has been released, and is not on expensive wages, I would not be disappointed if we took him on a free. Afterall we paid 2m for Engvall not to play him and loan him out, so getting a player on a free wouldn't be a disaster if didn't work out.

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The only time he looked quite good for us was his first appearance against QPR. Didn't get much of the ball but you could see, from his positioning and aggression, that he had something. Sadly that substitute cameo was the best we got.

Agreed, he looked very promising in that substitute appearance.

I wonder how much that diabolical tackle from behind in the corner in the last couple of minutes affected him.

At the time I was thinking there's another really promising loan forward crocked after a few minutes playing for City.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Agreed, he looked very promising in that substitute appearance.

I wonder how much that diabolical tackle from behind in the corner in the last couple of minutes affected him.

At the time I was thinking there's another really promising loan forward crocked after a few minutes playing for City.

Oh yes I remember that, near the South Stand. He was in real pain I remember.

I thought he looked really quick and strong on that debut, his running in behind appeared to be what we were missing. 

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Major Isewater have St Etienne let him go?

Sorry I haven't been able to find out  , on the St Etienne site  it's like he never existed ! 

The Post ran an article just after the end of the season reporting that he had been released.

I thought, at the time , that perhaps he could reignite his career being less of a risk to a new club .

If we got criticised for signing him on loan , imagine the stick the guy who broke St Etienne's transfer record to sign Diony is getting.

:shocking:

The other worry is that we were in for him at the same time .

That guy could have been Mark Ashton .

Archived