IGNORED

Spectacular fall from grace - Diony

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

More prolonged than dramatic, but Alan Smith's career decline since his first season with United is worth a mention. Have a looking at his goal-scoring record. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smith_(footballer%2C_born_1980)?wprov=sfla1

unfair to single out his goal scoring, he went from a striker at united to a defensive midfielder because of injury

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Francis Jeffers was a player who suddenly lost any sort of goal scoring form after leaving Everton for Arsenal. He subsequently played for a host of clubs, scoring about 20 goals in 10 years 

Good call. I was going to put Fernando Torres, but Jeffers is a much better example.  Robinho is another.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

David James?

Tapped up during a stag do, no less :rofl2br:

I will never not laugh at the fact that both of England's starting goalies for the 2010 World Cup were in a Bristol City match just over a year later.

2 hours ago, 123red1 said:

Our worse signing has to be Andy Smith, he could have played for 10 years in a City shirt and never had a shot let alone a goal. I was amazed he kept getting chances off the bench, I actually thought a fan would do better than him. He seriously was the most useless I've ever seen. 

I’d forgotten about him. He was unique, as a forward, as he didn’t seem to realise that to score you’ve got to actually have a shot or header. He ran around a bit but with no sense of purpose 

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’d forgotten about him. He was unique, as a forward, as he didn’t seem to realise that to score you’ve got to actually have a shot or header. He ran around a bit but with no sense of purpose 

A headless chicken so to speak, another one of Gary’s Square pegs for round holes !

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

and that double was really celebrated in the stands - a mixture of disbelief and hilarity, which he joined in

Junior Bent scored twice that day too didn't he? Are we absolutely sure the goals were regulation size.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Looking at the records that must have been in our 1-0 win at the Vetch Field.

Wasn't that the massive goal kick which bounced over their entire defence and he ran onto?

2 hours ago, Rich_s said:

Agreed! I can't recall a worse player at AG for sometime. He seemed to seriously have not clue what colour we wore. I saw nothing to suggest he was once or ever will be a pro footballer. Not sure whether the problem is in his head but if he showed any ability I probably missed it whilst blinking.

His substitute appearance at Burton was pure comedy. Looked like he'd won a competition.

Being old, my choice for worst striker would be John Palmer. It wasn't his fault and I'm sure he tried very hard while on the pitch. 

It was a Terry Cooper punt on him in the dark days of 1982-3. I think he was at Weston SM, and Coops was scratching for anybody to help out as we floundered around the foot of Division Four. 

I'll see your Lois Diony and raise you Danny Haynes.

Still only 30 now playing for Cray Wanderers

Daniel Lewis Haynes (born 19 January 1988) is an English footballer, who plays as a striker or right midfielder and currently plays for Cray Wanderers. He has had previous spells with Ipswich, Bristol City,Barnsley, Charlton Athletic, Notts County, Hibernian, Crewe Alexandra,Cheltenham Town and Ebbsfleet United.

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Being old, my choice for worst striker would be John Palmer. It wasn't his fault and I'm sure he tried very hard while on the pitch. 

It was a Terry Cooper punt on him in the dark days of 1982-3. I think he was at Weston SM, and Coops was scratching for anybody to help out as we floundered around the foot of Division Four. 

We had a few of those.  Graham Withey anyone?  And wasn’t there someone who was briefly well thought of called Nicky and with a dodgy perm?

1 minute ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I'll see your Lois Diony and raise you Danny Haynes.

Still only 30 now playing for Cray Wanderers

Daniel Lewis Haynes (born 19 January 1988) is an English footballer, who plays as a striker or right midfielder and currently plays for Cray Wanderers. He has had previous spells with Ipswich, Bristol City,Barnsley, Charlton Athletic, Notts County, Hibernian, Crewe Alexandra,Cheltenham Town and Ebbsfleet United.

Remember what he did to West Brom though.  Turned Graham Dorrans (?) inside out (several times) that afternoon.

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No one going to mention Steve Jones, at least in his first spell of games?

How can you have a go at Steve Jones? He had the best sun tan ever seen at Ashton Gate 

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Bit harsh. John Palmer was a non league player who played like a non league player but, at the time, City couldn’t afford anything else. 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

How can you have a go at Steve Jones? He had the best sun tan ever seen at Ashton Gate 

Bit harsh. John Palmer was a non league player who played like a non league player but, at the time, City couldn’t afford anything else. 

Not intended. Everyone who played that season was a hero who played their part in pulling us out of the mire. 

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No one going to mention Steve Jones, at least in his first spell of games?

He was a strange one. Absolutely awful at first after we paid what was quite a hefty fee at the time. Then lost weight, gained a tan,  played with more heart and became a bit of a cult figure with his own chant. 

Does anyone remember what happened between his two spells of games? Was he injured or was he just dropped for a while?

14 hours ago, phantom said:

Tony Dinning? 

Lee Tomlin? 

Taylor Moore? 

Gustav Engvall? 

Tony Dinning brings back nightmares. Looked great before he played for us. Probably wrong but he wasn't he  pulled off in the first 20 minutes away at Luton by Tinnion. Or is my mind completely shot away.

10 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

More prolonged than dramatic, but Alan Smith's career decline since his first season with United is worth a mention. Have a looking at his goal-scoring record. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smith_(footballer%2C_born_1980)?wprov=sfla1

10 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

In fairness though, he suffered a horrible leg break and was converted afterwards to a holding midfielder

Beat me to it @SuperDziek, that leg break was horrendous, and he was lucky to be able to play again. After that, I doubt he was worried about which position he was picked for!!

Back to Diony, had he scored early on, I still don't think that he would be with us now anyway, mainly because I think he'd have picked up some form/goals and gone back to France with a new found confidence!! 

There's something obviously not right with the lad - he did hint at a mental block/illness and being extremely unhappy (to which I translated as both on and off the pitch), when he signed. You hope that he finds his old self again, and hopefully for his sake, his manager and team mates can help him out of this rut. He does seem to be one of these players who will be in the headlines in the near future - either because he's turned it around and is attracting attention from a number of big clubs, or because he's going to be known as a player who failed to live up to the hype and promise. Either way, I wouldn't like to put money on which way it will go for him.

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I had the same reservation but the question was 'worst player', not perhaps what it should have been - 'worst value for money player'. The rubbish that turned out for us in Div 4 will forever hold a place in my heart because they kept us alive. They were however ****. In answer to the latter question none of them would rate in the top 100.

Most of my recollections of Diony were falling over as he recieved a pass and falling over when he tried to take a player on.

I wonder if he was just trying a bit to hard or his condidence was shot. He did need to get up to the pace of the English game.

That said, I thought I could see a player in him at times and if available on a free and with a sensible wage, maybe he would be worth a punt.  He may have done a lot better for us had he been a part of the first half of the season rather than the second.

He would have to earn his place though.

23 hours ago, ooRya said:

Sadly, JET has to fit into this thread doesn't he?

I'd agree with the "spectacular fall from grace" bit but unlike Diony, JET was a footballer. JET on his day was probably one of the most talented and exciting players I've seen at AG for years, whereas Monsieur Diony............

Archived