IGNORED

Oh dear Devon and Cornwall police....

phantom

6 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Cornwall don't support England,as they have declared independence from the U.K.

No doubt at all Cornwall is a fabulous area but when I was there a few weeks ago I was surprised to see that all signage in a Cornish service station was in Kernewek, first and foremost, with English secondary.

That was new to me since my last visit - they obviously mean business.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No doubt at all Cornwall is a fabulous area but when I was there a few weeks ago I was surprised to see that all signage in a Cornish service station was in Kernowek, first and foremost, with English secondary.

That was new to me since my last visit - they obviously mean business.

Cornwall have really had a raw deal. Fully support a Cornish assembly, an astonishing amount of housing is now second homes to Londoners, it's one of the worst paid areas in the country, and opportunities are so limited round there. Not to mention local fishermen have been royally ****** by Rick Stein.

Beautiful area, beautiful history, fascinating local customs.

In fairness I have watched England games In town and as soon as they got knocked out idiots start fighting and start smashing glasses etc. Always seems to turn very nasty certainly a place to avoid.

Most forces around the country are running similar “campaigns” The statistics show that domestic abuse incidents for instance increase dramatically during and after an England game as well as the stuff you’d expect like the fights in pubs etc. I’m still not sure however if you’re that way inclined to give the other half a pasting that a poster campaign is going to sort your head out though! 

TBF there was a copper on Radio Devon this morning talking about this and he said there is always a spike in disorder and domestic violence when there`s a tournament on and also a lot of drink driving arrests - mainly people the morning after watching the footy down the pub from straight after work. You`ll also get a lot of occasional drinkers having a lot more than they`re used to.

I suppose if you`re that way inclined going on the piss watching games is just a convenient excuse for having a ruck or beating up your partner.

This is the same Devon and Cornwall police whose 'Commissioner' claimed she supported people getting guns to fight against 'terrorists'- seemingly oblivious of all the potential issues that would come from it! I loved growing up here, but, like so many promising graduates, it is time to leave. Among the lowest wages, yet amongst the highest growth in property prices out of London. Whole seaside villages lay dormant in the winter due to them being second homes. I still maintain that we have more in common with Wales and Scotland than the rest of England, but we're too small to care about. We are the world's first post-industrial region, and a sad indictment of what is to come in many other regions in Europe that are beginning to get rid of their industry too. Thanks to the second home owners registering to vote at their Cornish addresses, we're all safe Tory seats too!

We were always last in the queue to the point where we qualified for much of the EU's funding for the poorest areas of Northern Europe. Now thanks to Brexit, we are still at the back of the queue, only the queue is much, much bigger. Oh well, at least we took back control! The bus said so!

Grrr. I think I need a glass of water. Not to drink, but to pour over my head.

2 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

This is the same Devon and Cornwall police whose 'Commissioner' claimed she supported people getting guns to fight against 'terrorists'- seemingly oblivious of all the potential issues that would come from it! I loved growing up here, but, like so many promising graduates, it is time to leave. Among the lowest wages, yet amongst the highest growth in property prices out of London. Whole seaside villages lay dormant in the winter due to them being second homes. I still maintain that we have more in common with Wales and Scotland than the rest of England, but we're too small to care about. We are the world's first post-industrial region, and a sad indictment of what is to come in many other regions in Europe that are beginning to get rid of their industry too. Thanks to the second home owners registering to vote at their Cornish addresses, we're all safe Tory seats too!

We were always last in the queue to the point where we qualified for much of the EU's funding for the poorest areas of Northern Europe. Now thanks to Brexit, we are still at the back of the queue, only the queue is much, much bigger. Oh well, at least we took back control! The bus said so!

Yep great place for a holiday though.

15 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Nowhere in England (or even the whole UK) beats it for that. You won't find better beaches around than those on the North Cornish coast. 

Will be down there in August as per usual,but last year went to west/north Wales, their beaches are a close second,was really surprised.

24 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Funny how the vast majority of Cornwall voted for Brexit then realised that was where all their money came from and asked if they could keep the EU subsidies 

2 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Funny how the vast majority of Cornwall voted for Brexit then realised that was where all their money came from and asked if they could keep the EU subsidies 

I did my homework, and voted Remain. Sadly as a populace we aren't known for being well educated...

Still, at least after a slight delay - caused entirely by the EU - the Cornish fishing fleet will be allowed to reassemble and fish British waters unfettered again for the first time in 40 years plus.

The majority of the Cornish fleet having been forcibly scrapped over that time due to the EU of course

Regaining control of British waters is a massive plus for Cornwall, and Cornishmen.

There was a 2014 article in the Independent that said that domestic violence increases by approximately 25% during the world cup, so whilst some of you might think the police are out of touch with their message, it might resonate with people who are in volatile relationships who might now start taking an interest in the world cup so they can possibly manage their home situation if they know that alcohol and sporting disappointment cause their significant other to become dangerous.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Still, at least after a slight delay - caused entirely by the EU - the Cornish fishing fleet will be allowed to reassemble and fish British waters unfettered again for the first time in 40 years plus.

The majority of the Cornish fleet having been forcibly scrapped over that time due to the EU of course

Regaining control of British waters is a massive plus for Cornwall, and Cornishmen.

All well and good, but just a drop in the ocean and ultimately ineffective compared to what was being sent to us. EU funding was being used for improving our infrastructure; especially our road system which on the whole is not fit for purpose and a key obstacle towards outside investment in Cornwall even being considered by organisations in other parts of the country. Even when out of the EU, we won't be able to compete with the global market for seafood, so mass production the likes of which we saw before will not be viable. Sure, we can sell a few in a niche market as being local produce, but considering the EU were intending to put £341m into Cornwall by 2020, we are going to have to catch a hell of a lot of bloody fish to make that up!

Not to mention that the EU themselves put in £1.5m to refurbish Newlyn itself and its harbour following decades of neglect of West Cornwall by both ruling parties. 

2 hours ago, devoncider said:

I shall do no such thing.

If you can't drink to excess this Saturday, when there are 4 WC games when on earth can you?!

Any day of the week that ends in a “y” seems to be ok for a lot of people

Archived