IGNORED

Oh dear Devon and Cornwall police....

phantom

On 12/06/2018 at 17:04, Newquay-Red said:

This is the same Devon and Cornwall police whose 'Commissioner' claimed she supported people getting guns to fight against 'terrorists'- seemingly oblivious of all the potential issues that would come from it! I loved growing up here, but, like so many promising graduates, it is time to leave. Among the lowest wages, yet amongst the highest growth in property prices out of London. Whole seaside villages lay dormant in the winter due to them being second homes. I still maintain that we have more in common with Wales and Scotland than the rest of England, but we're too small to care about. We are the world's first post-industrial region, and a sad indictment of what is to come in many other regions in Europe that are beginning to get rid of their industry too. Thanks to the second home owners registering to vote at their Cornish addresses, we're all safe Tory seats too!

We were always last in the queue to the point where we qualified for much of the EU's funding for the poorest areas of Northern Europe. Now thanks to Brexit, we are still at the back of the queue, only the queue is much, much bigger. Oh well, at least we took back control! The bus said so!

Grrr. I think I need a glass of water. Not to drink, but to pour over my head.

talking of water....that also costs a fortune in South West Water land

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The government, the analysts ( are they 'experts'?) and the heads of the fishing industry were referring specifically to the fishing industry, as was this debate.

We'll see about Brexit but not everyone is as pessimistic as the House of Lords, the BBC, Tony Blair, Nick Clegg, and yourself.

The fishing industry are clearly optimistic by their quotes in your chosen article that the industry will be far better off post Brexit.

For the purposes of this debate, as I've said, that will do for me.

I think they were under the impression that no-EU will mean "no quotas". Marine biology suggests this would be foolhardy verging on the reckless and will not happen.

We will not be allowed to overfish international waters and sell the catch to the world's biggest seafood market - the EU - without repercussions.

We may not be in the Common Fisheries Policy, but we will still have to adhere to agreements to preserve stocks. If not we'll have no fishing industry. anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think they were under the impression that no-EU will mean "no quotas". Marine biology suggests this would be foolhardy verging on the reckless and will not happen.

We will not be allowed to overfish international waters and sell the catch to the world's biggest seafood market - the EU - without repercussions.

We may not be in the Common Fisheries Policy, but we will still have to adhere to agreements to preserve stocks. If not we'll have no fishing industry. anywhere.

Bugger! I was about to rush out and buy myself a massive trawler and join the free for all .

23 hours ago, phantom said:

I've read about spikes in arrests etc, but also read that this was tied in relating to football even though many similar alcohol related crimes increase around the summer. 

My point was really how it's always football fans that get a bad reputation, I've lost count of the number of times the FSF have taken umbridge within someone's tweets where it implies it's only football fans that play up. 

I wonder If the Met police do a similar tweet about Henley regatta, or Glos police about Cheltenham races? Well we all know the answer to that! 

Its Thames Valley who deal with the Regatta and yes they do post warnings.

4 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/3195730/Rick-Stein-defends-impact-of-his-seafood-empire-on-Padstow.html

I promise you that while the job creation in the area might be a positive, the rocketing house prices are awful for Corwall, and Padstow in particular. In that article there is also a quote attached in which Stein claims he will keep using endangered species in his restaurants, as if he followed government guidelines, he would lose 80% of his menus and not be able to keep his restaurant going. This implies he is not bothered about overfishing and damages he may cause to the environment, just how much he can make, which sounds oddly like his policy with regards to Cornwall's cultural identity.

Gonna leave it there before this gets it's own non-football chat thread :laughcont:

‘Firebombed’ is a bit of a strong term.....a fire started in a bin store and damage to the main Restaurant was ‘minimal’ - subsequent investigations found that the fire was ‘accidental’ with no links to terrorism....

Anyway, as you say, enough of this chat about a chef! Hope Dundee United get relegated! There, I feel better now!

9 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

His fish is crap, expensive and no longer from Cornwall.

I have to admit, when his restaurant got firebombed I thought it was hilarious.....

He has sourced his fish from the same Cornwall based supplier ‘for decades’....also very strange that someone would think a building being ‘firebombed’ was ‘hilarious’....very sad too....did you also laugh when the subsequent investigation found that ‘firebombing’ was a total exaggeration and it was an accidental fire that started in a bin store and didn’t damage the main restaurant?!

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He has sourced his fish from the same Cornwall based supplier ‘for decades’....also very strange that someone would think a building being ‘firebombed’ was ‘hilarious’....very sad too....did you also laugh when the subsequent investigation found that ‘firebombing’ was a total exaggeration and it was an accidental fire that started in a bin store and didn’t damage the main restaurant?!

Don't even bother getting the moral compass out. I'm using it as an example (whether it was a special Cornish 'alternative fact' or not) to show how the man is despised down here. This was an opinion seen from numerous different demographics; including those you would not expect such as local business owners. Interestingly, I thought it was an emulation of how people rationalise other prevalent forms of terrorism, such as militant Islamic or far-right terrorism. We pretend there was no possible explanation as to why seemingly ordinary people support those extremes when they are so reprehensible, yet it was intriguing to see these people (some of whom were respected community leaders, near altruistic in how they have served the area) express happiness with the event.

On 13/06/2018 at 01:32, Red-Robbo said:

The idea that some areas of the British Isles are "Celtic" and others aren't is something that is rubbished by most modern historians.

The terms "Celts" to refer to the people with a connection to Brythonic/Gallic languages in the Western part of the British Isles only came into widespread usage in the 18th Century. Actual Celts lived in Upper Austria and there is evidence they may have migrated across mainland Europe to northern Spain. There is scant evidence that they ever invaded Britain. Nonetheless, out of custom we use the term Celtic to describe the pre-Roman tribes of Britain.

What the prevailing theory is now, is that the Celtic culture - in terms if art-work, technology and so forth - passed along West European sea routes and was adopted extensively by tribes living in Britain and Ireland, where it stayed until marginalised by the next dominant culture.

Mitochondrial DNA analysis of ancient remains and modern people seems to confirm this. The Romans, Saxons,  Vikings, Normans etc provided only small overlayers to the mass British population. When you examine the DNA, Irish, English, Scots, Welsh and Cornish are practically identical, the bulk of our ancestors are Brittonic. Ratios vary according to location, but if your ancestry didn't arrive in the UK in modern history then it will be largely Brittonic. 

It's a pet subject of mine, largely because I was surprised when I looked into it, to find most of us were taught utter bollocks about our prehistory.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31905764

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530134-300-ancient-invaders-transformed-britain-but-not-its-dna/

The Picts are an enigma. Much discussion about where they came from and whether they spoke a Brythonic form of Celtic (as opposed to the Goidelic Celtic, which arrived in Scotland, with the Scots from Ulster).

Very interesting subject!

Archived