IGNORED

rashford suffers "SLIGHT" knock

It's funny. In previous years I'd have felt a bit concerned if one of England's better players picked up the standard pre tournament scare (just to sell toilet papers) but this tournament, I'm really not bothered. The sooner this rubbish is over, the sooner we can get back to proper football on a Saturday.

11 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

It's funny. In previous years I'd have felt a bit concerned if one of England's better players picked up the standard pre tournament scare (just to sell toilet papers) but this tournament, I'm really not bothered. The sooner this rubbish is over, the sooner we can get back to proper football on a Saturday.

I’m no England follower, far from it actually. International doesn’t do it for me but I’m quite interested to see how we do this time round. We have a blend of good young players becoming very good players. 

It’s been exciting watching us recently. Did you see the game against Holland a while back? Pace all over the pitch, the movement, the quick give and go. 

The likes of Walker, Trippier, Rashford, Sterling, Vardy, Rose, Lingard, Loftus-Cheek etc. Exciting players to watch.

I’m looking forward to the tournament.

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’m no England follower, far from it actually. International doesn’t do it for me but I’m quite interested to see how we do this time round. We have a blend of good young players becoming very good players. 

It’s been exciting watching us recently. Did you see the game against Holland a while back? Pace all over the pitch, the movement, the quick give and go. 

The likes of Walker, Trippier, Rashford, Sterling, Vardy, Rose, Lingard, Loftus-Cheek etc. Exciting players to watch.

Do you know what, I've dipped in and out of a few of the recent games but in the main, I forgot/didn't even know they were on until the day they were played; I just wasn't bothered.  I lost interest following previous tournaments because of the whole media overhype and squad of England players that are also overhyped and over paid in my view (I appreciate the pay thing will fire a few up). 

Give me the frustrations, match day experience and excitement of watch City any day. Wouldn't change it for England winning the world cup 100 times.

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

43 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Do you know what, I've dipped in and out of a few of the recent games but in the main, I forgot/didn't even know they were on until the day they were played; I just wasn't bothered.  I lost interest following previous tournaments because of the whole media overhype and squad of England players that are also overhyped and over paid in my view (I appreciate the pay thing will fire a few up). 

Give me the frustrations, match day experience and excitement of watch City any day. Wouldn't change it for England winning the world cup 100 times.

For a few seasons I've been completely apathetic about England, and often forget that they are even playing.

However, there is something about the World Cup coming around that galvanises my interest. I think it is because it rekindles the feeling of excitement and anticipation I can remember as a lad. In those days I can remember reading everything I could lay my hands on about the coming WC - wall charts were religiously completed and I looked forward to seeing players on the telly that I'd read about but never had any chance to see ( only football on telly was MOTD highlights and the only foreigners you ever saw was whenEuropean games were televised).

I suppose it's that naive innocence of youth that I see in my grandkids today, but it carried on and every 4 years, as the WC  approaches I actually look forward to watching, albeit in recent years with the expectation of another abject England failure - despite the so called golden generation.

I have a sneaky feeling that England might surprise a few and have become increasingly impressed with the way Southgate is going about things and being his own man. Even though the world's best are well know to us all theses days, thanks to wall to wall tv coverage and most of them playing in Europe, who wouldn't want to see what could well be Messi's last hurrah at the top level on the international stage and the same for Ronaldo - 2 of the all time greats? 

It's good that the child in me is still alive and kicking - Mrs Downend says Ive never really grown up!

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

You do know that proper football won’t come around any quicker, if England do well..?!

I totally get the recent detachment from the England games, but when a World Cup comes around, it baffles me that people won’t be fully behind them. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You do know that proper football won’t come around any quicker, if England do well..?!

I totally get the recent detachment from the England games, but when a World Cup comes around, it baffles me that people won’t be fully behind them. 

Don't tell me that!!!! The summer's too long as it is :sad26:

I wish I could get excited about it - I miss the excitment of the previous years tournaments but my opinion of England football (and the PL circus*) has changed which is why I've lost interest in it. 

*ironic considering City's aim to get in to the PL. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge if we ever get to it!

I cannot understand, why as a Football Supporter you cannot find it in yourselves to support the National Team?  As much as I have had a lifelong connection with City so too have I with England, mind you I actually watched England win the World Cup, so I do believe we can win it again, Considering we are only one of just eight nations that have ever won it we must have a better chance than some give us.

GET BEHIND YOUR ENGLAND!! 

47 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Odd isn't it?

52 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Me too...I wasn’t that interested in the qualifying games and I never watch friendlies, but when we get to the actual tournament I’m a manic fan....really can’t understand when you listen to radio phone in programmes and some guy will say ‘I’m Steve from Walsall and I’m an England fan...’ - you’re English, of course you’re a fan of the national team - why wouldn’t you be?! They talk as though some English people aren’t fans of their national team when it comes to a major tournament?!

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Me too...I wasn’t that interested in the qualifying games and I never watch friendlies, but when we get to the actual tournament I’m a manic fan....really can’t understand when you listen to radio phone in programmes and some guy will say ‘I’m Steve from Walsall and I’m an England fan...’ - you’re English, of course you’re a fan of the national team - why wouldn’t you be?! They talk as though some English people aren’t fans of their national team when it comes to a major tournament?!

Sadly, and I suppose somewhat like “Steve from Walsall” supporting Man Utd or Arsenal, rather than one of his local teams, the generation of “TV fans” don’t have a clue what it’s like to actually be there & be involved in supporting their team. 

You’re typical left wing, non football supporting, PC numpty, probably doesn’t see anything wrong in “supporting” Brazil or Germany, infact it probably endorsed their anti racist facade..! 

For some reason, if you’re English, some will try to shame you for having national pride. That will be even worse now we are the only home nations team in the tournament and those jovial Welsh & Irish fans aren’t there enjoying the festival of football..! 

Not it’s back to being just us, the press can crack on with looking down on those of us who are proud to be English and paint us as being morally corrupt hooligans, for supporting our national team..! 

COME ON ENGLAND! I’m not expecting much, but let’s restore some pride after the last tournament embarrassment! 

34 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Sadly, and I suppose somewhat like “Steve from Walsall” supporting Man Utd or Arsenal, rather than one of his local teams, the generation of “TV fans” don’t have a clue what it’s like to actually be there & be involved in supporting their team. 

You’re typical left wing, non football supporting, PC numpty, probably doesn’t see anything wrong in “supporting” Brazil or Germany, infact it probably endorsed their anti racist facade..! 

For some reason, if you’re English, some will try to shame you for having national pride. That will be even worse now we are the only home nations team in the tournament and those jovial Welsh & Irish fans aren’t there enjoying the festival of football..! 

Not it’s back to being just us, the press can crack on with looking down on those of us who are proud to be English and paint us as being morally corrupt hooligans, for supporting our national team..! 

COME ON ENGLAND! I’m not expecting much, but let’s restore some pride after the last tournament embarrassment! 

This is a point I keep struggling with. I am probably one of those left wing PC numpties you are on about but cannot understand why it seems to be unnacceptable to be proudly english.

I continually have this argument with people complaining about England, and as far as i can see (despite the weather) you couldn't have it much better elsewhere.

I'll be drukenly cheering them on against Tunisia with the rest of em.

42 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

This is a point I keep struggling with. I am probably one of those left wing PC numpties you are on about but cannot understand why it seems to be unnacceptable to be proudly english.

I continually have this argument with people complaining about England, and as far as i can see (despite the weather) you couldn't have it much better elsewhere.

I'll be drukenly cheering them on against Tunisia with the rest of em.

Fair comment mate, you seem to have the balance right, between your beliefs and tolerances, yet understanding that we ALL have the right to be proud of our nationality and it’s ok to show it. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Fair comment mate, you seem to have the balance right, between your beliefs and tolerances, yet understanding that we ALL have the right to be proud of our nationality and it’s ok to show it. 

Yeah it is sad that the st georges cross has become synonymous with racism.

I have even caught myself, when selling items on facebook, seeing an england flag as a profile picture and thinking "racist".

6 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Yeah it is sad that the st georges cross has become synonymous with racism.

I have even caught myself, when selling items on facebook, seeing an england flag as a profile picture and thinking "racist".

As you already seem to accept, there is a massive difference between patriotism and racism. 

Of course, some idiots can’t seperate the 2 and use one as an excuse for the other..!

Dont feel bad though, we all generalise, in our own minds. My first thought when I see a pro Jeremy Corbyn post is that the person is a ****! Of course they aren’t, they are probably more anti Tory, than pro labour, which is a bit like preferring to step in Fox shite, rather than dog shite..! 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

As you already seem to accept, there is a massive difference between patriotism and racism. 

Of course, some idiots can’t seperate the 2 and use one as an excuse for the other..!

Dont feel bad though, we all generalise, in our own minds. My first thought when I see a pro Jeremy Corbyn post is that the person is a ***! Of course they aren’t, they are probably more anti Tory, than pro labour, which is a bit like preferring to step in Fox shite, rather than dog shite..! 

Definitely a bit of self awareness is key in any situation. When people hear i voted labour they immediately give an opinion on Corbyn, for or against. In actuality i was voting for my local MP Luke Pollard, who has a great understanding of the role of the military in the local economy of Plymouth, and am still undecided about Corbyn.

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I seem to recall you saying pretty much the same volte face type remarks for the last 2 tournaments. :whistle:

13 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

You can feel the hype steadily building again, by Monday we'll definitely, no doubt be coming home with the trophy 

15 minutes ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

You can feel the hype steadily building again, by Monday we'll definitely, no doubt be coming home with the trophy 

I actually think it’s refreshing that literally nobody, outside the England team hotel, expects much of us this time. 

In general, I like the youthful squad that Southgate has selected. They seem to actually give a damn about being selected for England, rather than just expecting it. 

I just hope we put the effort in again. We probably aren’t good enough, we know that, so putting in a good show that isn’t an embarrassment will be progress, in my eyes. 

COME ON ENGLAND! 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know if rashford will play much anyway. Been pretty poor most of the season apart from Liverpool game. One decent game against Costa Rica hardly makes him amazing. Sterling and kane clearly start. Vardy better impact off bench than rashford too. 

Injury / knock aside, I think Rashford’s performance v CR and goal threat might have tipped the nod over Sterling.  I thought RS had a good game v Nigeria, but his lack of a clinical finish or final ball (the opposite to this season at Man City) is frustrating.  Before the CR game I would’ve been tempted by Vardy v Tunisia and Panama, but I don’t think either side will leave much space in behind.  He might be better v Belgium if we are to play 2 up top.

Archived