IGNORED

RIP Bob Boyd (Merged)

GrahamC

Gregor McGregor has reported that he died a few days ago.

One of those who helped to save us in ‘82 and who filled the reserve team we briefly had at that time with Western League players he knew.

RIP.

The club have confirmed the death of Bob Boyd. He joined City as a groundstaff  boy in the late 1950's. Never made it at City as a player, went to non league as a player before managing various local West Country clubs. 

Bob was one of the group who put money in to save City in 1982. So a City great for that action alone. 

My condolences to his family. 

I grew up watching that great Minehead team that Bob was player manager of. Some unbelievable performances and the only time I’d miss a game was if I was lucky enough to get up to Bristol to watch City, who were of course in the top flight. What a golden era.

Anyone know where and when the funeral is?

59 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I grew up watching that great Minehead team that Bob was player manager of. Some unbelievable performances and the only time I’d miss a game was if I was lucky enough to get up to Bristol to watch City, who were of course in the top flight. What a golden era.

I guess you remember Bristol based players like Steve Carter & Jimmy Jenkins then?

I do not know any funeral arrangements but Bob was living in Burnham on sea, perhaps funeral will be down that way.

If I find out any funeral details I'll let you know.

2 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

I guess you remember Bristol based players like Steve Carter & Jimmy Jenkins then?

I do not know any funeral arrangements but Bob was living in Burnham on sea, perhaps funeral will be down that way.

Add Derek Bryant to that list.

I remember Bob and his son Rob. He is the man who started BOCO.

Very well known man on the Bristol football scene.

Football Man, Business Man, top bloke.

Condolences to Bob’s family. RIP.

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

This may bring back some memories....

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-minehead-towns-bob-boyd-interview-1977-online

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The club have confirmed the death of Bob Boyd. He joined City as a groundstaff  boy in the late 1950's. Never made it at City as a player, went to non league as a player before managing various local West Country clubs. 

Bob was one of the group who put money in to save City in 1982. So a City great for that action alone. 

My condolences to his family. 

Cidered abroad, Think you are a few years out on your bit of history. I am the same age as Bob and went to school with Trevor Taunton and BB was in the same Bristol Boys U15 team that reached the national final and lost to Stoke On Trent in 1963. 10 of that team signed for City and only left winger Dennis Bees signed for the Rovers. If you check out Steve Sutor's Facebook link, scroll down and you can find the team sheet from the final home leg at Eastville. Was there, huge crowd for schoolboys.

Great fellow was Bob, met him at his printing works at Wick, also played against many of the Bristol based successful Minehead team Derek Bryant, Andy Leitch, Jimmy Jenkins, Steve Rosedale, Brian Durbin and a few others I expect who's names I can't remember.

Sad loss for someone who achieved a great deal at differing levels.

20 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Cidered abroad, Think you are a few years out on your bit of history. I am the same age as Bob and went to school with Trevor Taunton and BB was in the same Bristol Boys U15 team that reached the national final and lost to Stoke On Trent in 1963. 10 of that team signed for City and only left winger Dennis Bees signed for the Rovers. If you check out Steve Sutor's Facebook link, scroll down and you can find the team sheet from the final home leg at Eastville. Was there, huge crowd for schoolboys.

Great fellow was Bob, met him at his printing works at Wick, also played against many of the Bristol based successful Minehead team Derek Bryant, Andy Leitch, Jimmy Jenkins, Steve Rosedale, Brian Durbin and a few others I expect who's names I can't remember.

Sad loss for someone who achieved a great deal at differing levels.

I may be a few years out. I met Bob just after I moved to Burnham about three years ago. He talked about meeting Atyeo when he joined the groundstaff and I assumed it was around 1958. But it could have been in John's last season or two some six or seven years later. Which would make his birth year around 1949/50 assuming he left school at sixteen years. 

As for crowds then, I remember the 1958 final with Brian Clark in the Bristol Boys side and a crowd of around 18,000 at Ashton Gate. 

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I may be a few years out. I met Bob just after I moved to Burnham about three years ago. He talked about meeting Atyeo when he joined the groundstaff and I assumed it was around 1958. But it could have been in John's last season or two some six or seven years later. Which would make his birth year around 1949/50 assuming he left school at sixteen years. 

As for crowds then, I remember the 1958 final with Brian Clark in the Bristol Boys side and a crowd of around 18,000 at Ashton Gate. 

I saw both legs of the 1958 final against Swansea the away leg at the Vetch Field and at home. Remember Jantzen Derrick playing a blinder at Swansea and Bristol won the cup. 1979 and Jantzen's son Paul was in the Bristol side that beat Croydon in the final. I think this is the only father and son combination that has achieved this.

21 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

Yes, Jimmy Jenkins was a real favourite of mine, Derek Bryant, Ninny Durbin, the towering and prolific Andy Leitch, John Macey from Newpirt in goal.  Bob himself was a very accomplished centre half.

Yes if you do hear anything funeral wise. My uncle drove all the south Wales and Bristol players to all the games in a mini bus, he was from Minehead but lived in Newport. He's keen to pay his respects. 

10 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

AEK Boco are becoming a powerful force in local football and that is another of his legacies.

I read something today that Boco were named after Boca Juniors after the 78 WC.

I thought it was because his business premises had a big sign saying BOB CO, and the 2nd B was missing, so BOCO was used, obviously sounding similar to Boca.

Anyone know?

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I read something today that Boco were named after Boca Juniors after the 78 WC.

I thought it was because his business premises had a big sign saying BOB CO, and the 2nd B was missing, so BOCO was used, obviously sounding similar to Boca.

Anyone know?

AEK BOCO FC

AEK-BOCO F.C. was formed during the summer of 2003 as the result of a merger between two long-established clubs (AEK Rangers and Boco Juniors).

Today we have almost 500 children on our books playing in the Hanham Minor League, Avon Youth League U18 Bristol Combination League and Bristol Girls League. As well as four men’s teams and two ladies teams.
We are proud to be one of the first Clubs in the Gloucestershire area to achieve the FA Charter Standard Community Club status.

Our home ground is Greenbank Rd Playing Fields, Greenbank Road ,Hanham, Bristol.

We are an ambitious Club who through hard work and determination hope to progress through the League system with the next step being Toolstation League.

History of Boco Juniors

Boco Juniors was formed in 1978 by Bob Boyd, a former director of Bristol City FC, and John Cummins.

Named after the 1978 Argentinean Champions Boca Juniors, as it corresponded with the year that Argentina first became World Champions.

Bob Boyd`s son Robert is now one of the Marcliff Glos County League main sponsors ”Boca Teamwear” while John Cummins Grandson Tom plays for our Junior u14`s team.

Famous players that have emerged through Boco Juniors are Mark Cooper ( current Forest Green Rovers Manager ) who is the son of Terry Cooper Ex England international. Julian Dicks who played for Liverpool and West Ham United. Paul Mardon played for Bristol City & West Brom & was a Welsh International.

Darren Lloyd played for West Brom & Darren Carr who played for Chesterfield in the 1997 FA Cup semi-final versus Middlesbrough. Martin Willmott for Bristol City & Darren Harvey for Watford were also former players that played professionally .

Mark Johnston- Allen the snooker professional started his career at right back for Boco Juniors.
 Even Manchester United’s' Alex Ferguson spotted a young Ross Millard playing for Boco Juniors and Ross was signed as full time professional only to see his dubbing career cut short by injury.

History of AEK Rangers

In 1977 the club was formed, named after someone who had just holidayed in Greece and an original player being Scottish wanted Rangers in the name, mainly from a group of workmates from DRG, they played at Dundridge Playing fields, the first team won The Senior District League in 1995, the team also played at BAWA club.

Since joining the Gloucestershire County League in Season 2014-2015 we have enjoyed tremendous success under the leadership of Gary “Bomber” Lancaster.

Season 2014-2015     Runners Up

Season 2015-2016     Champions

Season 2016-2017     Les James Cup Winners

Here`s Hoping for another successful season 2017-2018

Here you are Dave, found this pdf online. Sorry its so messy but had to copy and paste it all.

When I co-started this thread it was simply because Bob had played a part in the 1982 revival and he lived here in Burnham. 

I've been amazed at the response about him from those who knew him in the Bristol and Somerset local football scene. So much goes on away from the Premiership and Championship that is hardly touched upon by the local press let alone the national rags. 

It's clear from your posts that the name of Bob Boyd will be remembered by many for a long time to come. 

Should I hear of the funeral details, I'll post them on here. 

A big man physically but also in so many other ways, Bob Boyd. 

That Minehead team was a special team and like Ralph I grew up watching it most Saturdays from 1974  to 1979  in the Recreation Ground with the occasional treat trip to  Bristol to watch City. From 1979 onwards it was a regular trip to Ashton Gate and the occasional trip to the Rec. However  I remember them winning a lower league before coming second to Wimbledon and at the time it seemed most of Minehead went to watch theFAC game at Portsmouth   Minehead had a young keeper called Nicky Johns and I also remember seeing Graham Roberts play for Weymouth. At the time Bob Boyd was player manager most of the team were x Bristol players including Bobby Jones as well as the others mentioned earlier. As a youngster growing up Bob Boyd appeared to be a leader of men and made himself available to talk to most of the community

Sad to hear this. 

I played for Boco in 1985-88 and he would come and watch us play/train from time to time, as he would with a lot of the age groups.

He certainly did a lot for kids back in those days and he would be proud of what Boco has become now with the facilities they have and amount of young boys and girls they have playing for them.

RIP Bob.

I used to chat to Bob when he had a stationary business a while back and he was a decent bloke. As others have said he did set up Boco a club I was quite heavily involved with when they merged with  AEK up until the new clubhouse was built (still pop in for a pint now and then)

The amount of local people and their children involved in that club is indeed a very fitting legacy for such a football man.

I met Bob Boyd several times through Western League football and occasionally in and around Hanham.

A nicer and more unassuming man you could never wish to meet.

And to think one of a few who stepped up and stepped in to save BCFC. Without any grace or favour.

Compare that to what we see in professional football now. 

Bob Boyd and all those like him then deserve far more than they ever get credit for.

RIP.

Archived