IGNORED

Hinds, McColsky, and Semenyo - big season?

reddogkev

Interested in this young trio of strikers and wondering if one of them might have a big part to play this season?

Firstly, apologies in advance, I'm not sure of the health of Shaun McColsky, but hope he'll be in a position to play again.  Anyone know more about this?

But what do we think about these young forwards, will they be able to help fill the void of Reid (presuming he goes)?  I know loans will be the most likely outcome for all 3, but if I was in charge, and provided they impressed me in training, I'd certainly keep at least 2 of them around the first team squad and give them the chance of appearances in both league and cup.  Based on the fact he scored a couple in the league cup last season, perhaps Hinds is the main prospect?

We do have a pretty good record now of developing our forwards to score a lot of goals (unless they are Swedish).  Here's hoping at least one of these players can have an impact next season.

Are they ready?

Personally I haven't seen enough of any of them to be able to give you a good answer on their ability. Just on what we already know.

I hope though that we keep one around, I think two could be loaned. Depends on McCoulsky's condition but I think most likely situation would be a L1 loan for McCoulsky and maybe a conference level loan for Semenyo.

Wouldn't be surprised if we keep Hinds around, depends who we sign.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Be surprised if any of them were near the first team to be honest. 

What a nice surprise it would be though, I think we'd all get a thrill seeing us developing our young strikers in the first team squad. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Personally I haven't seen enough of any of them to be able to give you a good answer on their ability. Just on what we already know.

I hope though that we keep one around, I think two could be loaned. Depends on McCoulsky's condition but I think most likely situation would be a L1 loan for McCoulsky and maybe a conference level loan for Semenyo.

Wouldn't be surprised if we keep Hinds around, depends who we sign.

Yep, same as me, I don't have enough awareness of the young players, but I oft wonder if developing a player in house, on our training pitch with our standards etc, is better than a loan somewhere lower down in the pyramid.  I think I'd be happy with the model you've suggested - 2 on loan and 1 sticking with us.  Saying that, if we had 2 young strikers still involved with the first team squad, would they spur each other on to improve?

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Yep, same as me, I don't have enough awareness of the young players, but I oft wonder if developing a player in house, on our training pitch with our standards etc, is better than a loan somewhere lower down in the pyramid.  I think I'd be happy with the model you've suggested - 2 on loan and 1 sticking with us.  Saying that, if we had 2 young strikers still involved with the first team squad, would they spur each other on to improve?

Tinnion is big on them playing competitive men's football which makes me think as many as possible will go on loan. That's why I think only one will be kept around the team.

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

What a nice surprise it would be though, I think we'd all get a thrill seeing us developing our young strikers in the first team squad. 

Indeed. But we’re not the sort of fans who will happily accept a season or three of mid table blooding youngsters. The knives will be out quickly if we’re not challenging for top six. It’s a difficult dilemma to manage now I think. 

Players who’ve already made a name for themselves in otther leagues come into this league and struggle so it doesn’t bode well for youngsters who have never played a championship game to be getting much game time.  

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

All should be sent out on loan again imo. Mccoulsky needs to be able to force his way into a league 2 side, maybe send him to lower league 2. Hinds hasn't had much men's football so maybe conference for him. Semenyo seemed to improve at bath, maybe send him back there till January and then move him up to conference if he does well.

I would prefer not to send all 3 back out on loan, but respect your opinion and comments.  For me, I'd like to see one of them developed with the club.

I think much will depend on which strikers are here at the start of the season.

Diedhiou, Djúric and Taylor (Reid / Engvall unlikely).

Likely to be a new striker, giving 4.

The second factor is 1 or 2 up top, bringing Paterson (maybe O’Dowda based on central role for ROI) into the numbers.  

Until we see recruitment in/out I'm not sure how we are going to play.  I have sneaky feeling that we might go 433/451 or back to 4231.  I see a traditional 442 being moved away from. 

we're in trouble if those 3 are near the first team, none of them are good enough yet, 

Hinds never scored a goal while on loan at cheltenahm

Mccoulsky couldn't hold down a place at at Newport

Semenyo looked like a headless chicken when he came on against Sheffield, 

All 3 need to go out on loan again

I think all of our players who were out on loan last season will be again. Vyner maybe around the squad but that’s about it. I think some will leave, don’t know where Taylor Moore will be for example.

Just now, RedM said:

I think all of our players who were out on loan last season will be again. Vyner maybe around the squad but that’s about it. I think some will leave, don’t know where Taylor Moore will be for example.

I'm expecting Vyner to break into the first team this season

38 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

That’s kind of what I meant but I didn’t explain it well when I read it back. Him, and him only, look like breaking through, and he will certainly feature depending on who goes and who we bring in. I don’t see anyone else being ready, not that I follow greatly but  many aren’t getting regular gametime in lower leagues never mind the Championship.

47 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Opinions I know, but I don’t think he’s quite ready.  More than happy for him to be match day 18, and train with the first team, getting minutes here and there, but I don’t see him starting many at CB, outside of cup games.

Of course if LJ thinks he can play RB, or we go 3 and he’s a RCB, maybe I'll see it differently.

56 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we're in trouble if those 3 are near the first team, none of them are good enough yet, 

Good of you to put it so bluntly. 

In actual fact none of them are anywhere near being ready for Championship football so more loans as part of their development. 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Opinions I know, but I don’t think he’s quite ready.  More than happy for him to be match day 18, and train with the first team, getting minutes here and there, but I don’t see him starting many at CB, outside of cup games.

Of course if LJ thinks he can play RB, or we go 3 and he’s a RCB, maybe I'll see it differently.

well he set league one on fire and got young player of the season in half a season at plymouth thats why I think it's time for him to step up,

he's followed a similar path as as Bryan and Reid who both did well there and went on to become important first team members 

21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Good of you to put it so bluntly. 

In actual fact none of them are anywhere near being ready for Championship football so more loans as part of their development. 

so if the bluntness offended you but you've said exactly what i said 

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

well he set league one on fire and got young player of the season in half a season at plymouth thats why I think it's time for him to step up,

he's followed a similar path as as Bryan and Reid who both did well there and went on to become important first team members 

so if the bluntness offended you but you've said exactly what i said 

Yep, did very well at Plymouth.  It’s probably just me but in the few highlights I saw he didn’t look strong enough, hence my concerns.

All in all though it would be great to see if he is ready.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I'd say that having them developing with the first team doesn't mean 'We're in trouble', it would demonstrate faith in their ability and give them the chance to kick on to Championship standard.  I'd much prefer them training with our quality players and seeing things at City, rather than trying to impress in the lower leagues.

There could be countless reasons why Hinds didn't score, we all know GJ is a stubborn old man to please and doesn't take a chance on youth.  How many minutes did Hinds have there?  And I thought McCoulsky was a regular scorer at that level, didn't he get over 20 goals, or am I thinking of someone else?

Don't get me wrong though, a good loan period can have massive value for a young player, but I'd expect at least one of this trio of players to have enough talent already to play for City this season and not let the club down.  How many years of Academy coaching have they had with us?

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I'd say that having them developing with the first team doesn't mean 'We're in trouble', it would demonstrate faith in their ability and give them the chance to kick on to Championship standard.  I'd much prefer them training with our quality players and seeing things at City, rather than trying to impress in the lower leagues.

There could be countless reasons why Hinds didn't score, we all know GJ is a stubborn old man to please and doesn't take a chance on youth.  How many minutes did Hinds have there?  And I thought McCoulsky was a regular scorer at that level, didn't he get over 20 goals, or am I thinking of someone else?

Don't get me wrong though, a good loan period can have massive value for a young player, but I'd expect at least one of this trio of players to have enough talent already to play for City this season and not let the club down.  How many years of Academy coaching have they had with us?

that doesn't wash when he gave taylor moore 38 games and Joe Morrell 39 games does it,Mcoulsky scored 11 in 27 (11 starts 16 sub) appearances but couldn't hold down a first team place,

a player will develop much better going out playing first team football then at under 23 level, Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid are proof of this 

To Monkeh. 

Why did you have to describe an eighteen year old, first year professional, as a headless chicken? 

Semenyo is raw, but has talent and from what I saw in three Under 23 games, he worked very hard for the team. 

He's on a learning curve. Whether he makes the grade or not is for the future. But at least give him a chance without a slagging.!

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

To Monkeh. 

Why did you have to describe an eighteen year old, first year professional, as a headless chicken? 

Semenyo is raw, but has talent and from what I saw in three Under 23 games, he worked very hard for the team. 

He's on a learning curve. Whether he makes the grade or not is for the future. But at least give him a chance without a slagging.!

i said he ran around like a headless chicken against sheffield and that he wasn't ready for the first team and needed a loan, sorry if you only chose to cherry pick the headless chicken part to suit your arguement,

I've not said he wasn't talented at all ether just that if we were relaying on those 3 for the frist team then we would be in trouble because THEY AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH YET 

6 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I would think Hinds would be the closest, and Mcoulsky I have a feeling he's going to end up playing somewhere else. Semenyo is still very raw but promising. 

With McCoulsky his health comes first and we need to make sure he is well enough to even continue his career before worrying about whether he goes out on loan or not.

Hinds is a weird one, he looked very promising in brief appearances early in the season before his loan spell at Cheltenham went so badly. I do wonder whether that might count against him here in the future, and fully expect him to go on loan elsewhere this season.

Semenyo should not have been anywhere near a first team appearance & him coming on in the last game was blatantly LJ showing the “pathway” works without any logic to his inclusion.

I’d be amazed if any of them are involved next season bar possibly another 15 minutes in the last game scenario.

I'd send them all back out on loan really. 

McCoulsky should go back to league two, somewhere where he'll start on a weekly basis. 

Hinds needs to get regular football and as he couldn't at cheltenham maybe a non league loan. 

Semenyo did well at Bath so maybe send him back there till January and then see what other options there are. 

Controversially, I'd send vyner back on loan to Plymouth for another season, give him another year of regular league one football and he'll improve massively, then bring him back as a better player. 

Taylor Moore I'd send on loan to a league one club, don't think he's suited to the physicality of league 2, maybe even look for a European loan. 

I'd like to see Jonny Smith get a league loan as well, did well for fylde last year so somewhere like Cheltenham would be good

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I'd send them all back out on loan really. 

McCoulsky should go back to league two, somewhere where he'll start on a weekly basis. 

Hinds needs to get regular football and as he couldn't at cheltenham maybe a non league loan. 

Semenyo did well at Bath so maybe send him back there till January and then see what other options there are. 

Controversially, I'd send vyner back on loan to Plymouth for another season, give him another year of regular league one football and he'll improve massively, then bring him back as a better player. 

Taylor Moore I'd send on loan to a league one club, don't think he's suited to the physicality of league 2, maybe even look for a European loan. 

I'd like to see Jonny Smith get a league loan as well, did well for fylde last year so somewhere like Cheltenham would be good

McCoulskey- Agree. L2 where he will start a majority of games. Is a tough ask though for a young player(I know he is actually a bit older but young in his career). Kind of a make or break for me. Will he kick on or will he just be a good bench option? 

Hinds seems to be following a similar path to Smith. Didn’t really feature for Cheltenham. Possibly a bit too much too soon but I imagine being in that first team environment and trying to earn a place done him well. A good national league loan would be good for him. 

Semenyo needs to be looking higher. Made his championship debut and was already atleast a level too low last season at Bath. He is young but for me needs to move up at least 1 level. He is my favourite of the 3 strikers. Got all the physical attributes but seems like he can play too. I’d keep him around a bit to train with the first team. He can be loaned outside the window to a conference team. 

Vyner is a tough call. I’d be using him for our squad personally but I accept that may not be super likely. For me, he would be back up RB and I’d be trying to get him 15 or so starts there. I know he wants to be a CB but he won’t get that here at the moment but I’d like to see him get more championship minutes. He can do that at RB. Same for Kelly

Taylor Moore needs a new contract first and foremost. We spent too much on him to give up on him. Different to Engvall as defenders do take a bit more time. I’d be telling Plymouth this guy could be better than Vyner(I think he could myself). I wouldn’t mind L2 but it would have to be a top L2 side. Cheltenham was always a strange one. 

Smith had a stellar season and we are seeing more and more player make the jump from conference into the football league. I’d be looking to find Jonny a L1 loan. Needs a new contract himself. I am a big fan of his

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

With McCoulsky his health comes first and we need to make sure he is well enough to even continue his career before worrying about whether he goes out on loan or not.

Hinds is a weird one, he looked very promising in brief appearances early in the season before his loan spell at Cheltenham went so badly. I do wonder whether that might count against him here in the future, and fully expect him to go on loan elsewhere this season.

Semenyo should not have been anywhere near a first team appearance & him coming on in the last game was blatantly LJ showing the “pathway” works without any logic to his inclusion.

I’d be amazed if any of them are involved next season bar possibly another 15 minutes in the last game scenario.

Hinds failed loan was nothing more than Mohamed Isa's form, you look after your own and all that.  From all the reports Shaun should be fine, I don't know the timeline but it's a viral infections and inflammation of the heart, so time is all that's needed there.  That aside I don't know why he's not had more first team minutes. 

Archived