IGNORED

USA joint bid gets world cup in 2026

So, since England staged it in 1966, Mexico have staged it twice, Germany twice and now USA will, by 2026 have staged it twice. What, apart from losing the trophy and being reliant upon a dog called Pickles to get us out of one, and our team not following the usual script and winning the thing, did we do wrong to not be seriously considered to stage the tournament since then?

1 minute ago, handsofclay said:

So, since England staged it in 1966, Mexico have staged it twice, Germany twice and now USA will, by 2026 have staged it twice. What, apart from losing the trophy and being reliant upon a dog called Pickles to get us out of one, and our team not following the usual script and winning the thing, did we do wrong to not be seriously considered to stage the tournament since then?

Everyone in world football hates the English

9 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

2026 will be Mexico’s third time as a host (1970, 1986) 

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Just noticed that Mexico are part of the joint bid, thought it was just USA and Canada. So that's  Mexico 3 times since 1966!

To be fair, and I might be wrong, I’m sure Mexico weren’t supposed to host in 1986. I think Colombia were and then an earthquake meant their infrastructure was screwed and the Mexicans stepped in as a nearby nation who could cover.

Sure someone older than me can confirm or deny!

14 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

In this particular case we didn't actually bid for it, so it would have been a pretty controversial choice to go with us...

Last time we tried, we were caught up in the controversy of the 2018 and 2022 bids, and were presumably not willing to match the corruption levels of other bids.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, and I might be wrong, I’m sure Mexico weren’t supposed to host in 1986. I think Colombia were and then an earthquake meant their infrastructure was screwed and the Mexicans stepped in as a nearby nation who could cover.

The earthquake was actually in Mexico shortly before the tournament, but they decided to continue as hosts.

You are right about Colombia though, they were chosen as the hosts originally, before pulling out because they couldn't afford it. They made that decision well before the tournament though, and a proper bidding process then happened, in which Mexico were chosen ahead of other bids. 

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You are correct. But I didn't want to weaken the vitriol in my argument by using facts.

Off the top of my head:

Glasgow x 3 - ibrox, hampden and celtic park

Edinburgh - murrayfield

London x4 - Wembley, Olympic stadium, emirates and new WHL.

Birmingham - villa park

Manchester - Old Trafford

Liverpool - anfield

Newcastle - SJP

Bristol - AG (maybe pushing it slightly....)

Cardiff x2 - CCS and Principality

Belfast - Windsor park (by far smallest but makes it a truly 'british' bid.

I don't really like this shared hosting thing. Geographically, Europe as a whole may as well bid next time such are the distances involved in having the tournament across nearly 2 continents.

Guess its a British bid next time then.

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

close, colombia were indeed meant to host it but economic conditions prevented them from doing so and resigned so it was awarded to mexico in 1983

30 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Off the top of my head:

Edinburgh - murrayfield

Birmingham - villa park

Liverpool - anfield

Newcastle - SJP

I'm sure if the UK won a bid for 2030, Belfast would get a nice shiny new stadium! 

39 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Off the top of my head:

Edinburgh - murrayfield

Birmingham - villa park

Liverpool - anfield

Newcastle - SJP

Can't you only have 1 City with 2 stadiums? 

44 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Off the top of my head:

Edinburgh - murrayfield

Birmingham - villa park

Liverpool - anfield

Newcastle - SJP

I'm still backing the bid…:englandflag:

Archived