IGNORED

New Badge - The Robin is Back...or is it? Post #292 onwards!

Bar BS3

21 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I am really fed up with club’s silly and insulting pr

Either make a proper announcement of kit and badge or keep quiet

There must be kids working at Ashton Gate who find it funny to wind us up

message to them - it isn’t

He must be about 30. Don’t call him a kid.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

what like doing a league and cup double? 

In fairness, he/she did say highly unlikely.. how many times in our history have we done a league and cup double? Enough for it to be the norm or for it to be unlikely?

When that darn awful city council badge ever appeared on tv such as in the background on C5 Championship highlights I actually wished it would quickly change to another set of badges representing other clubs. I was genuinely embarrassed about it. As others have stated, how on earth anyone could take pride in that is beyond my comprehension. But now, when I see the robin and suspension bridge I will feel tremendous pride and feel short changed if the badge isn't displayed for long enough on tv. 

Every City fan I've texted and spoken to this morning is elated with the news. One says he won't get carried away until he sees it on the official site (and that isn't Robbored). He was born in April 1955 the week City won the Div III South Championship and he was given the middle name Robin to mark this. I pity those born when we won the League One title under Cotts...I hate to think what middle names they're having to conceal to describe that turgid monstrosity that WAS our emblem.

23 minutes ago, brizzlecityfc said:

How on earth anyone can even like the BRISTOL CITY COUNCIL badge over the beautiful robin i have no idea. Real fans relate to the robin

ive even signed up on here 10mins ago just to say this is the best news in a very long time . providing its not just on the baby wear range or something!!

It’s not the “Bristol City Council badge”, it’s Bristol’s coat of arms, the symbol of the city. It dates back to 1569 and has class, even though few seem to have the taste to appreciate it.

Love it. After years of campaigning the club has listened. Hated the coat of arms absolutely hated it. For me, the badge with the robin saw us through our finest hours and our darkest hours and it is everything that is instantly recognisable as Bristol City Football Club.

I will be happy to buy some merchandise again!

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It’s not the “Bristol City Council badge”, it’s Bristol’s coat of arms, the symbol of the city. It dates back to 1569 and has class, even though few seem to have the taste to appreciate it.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

No need to chance the heraldic badge imv. I accept it's similar to some other clubs badges but that's not a serious issue to me.

I also like the coat of arms (or the simplified coat of arms to be pedantic). But personally feel that including the supporting unicorns and the helm was always a bit much.  If we simply had the shield with the castle and ship, then that would work better.

However as that doesn't seem to be an option I'll enjoy having the robin and bridge back.

Awful, outdated, ugly and laughable. 

Anyone saying this is original only have to look at all the other teams called the Robins to work out it's not at all. It's truly horrible and to have such an outdated logo to front a team looking to move forwards into the future is massively confusing.

If you're going to get the Robin back, modernise it. Don't just place the old one on a new kit. That's like me putting those doiley things my Nan had on the arms of her sofa onto a new leather corner sofa facing a 60" TV...

Bollocks to the Robin.

51 minutes ago, RedM said:

Seems strange and kind of wrong that neither the football club or the rugby club have this in some form now. 

Rememberhow the kit was revealed once, bit by bit, little teasers every day. Are we all jumping to the conclusion that this will be the main badge for our club. I bet it appears in a less prominent position on the shirt somewhere.

Won't be on any part of the kit.... It's gonna be tattooed on Mark Ashton's left bum cheek! 

(you heard it here first..:devil:

34 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I am really fed up with club’s silly and insulting pr

Either make a proper announcement of kit and badge or keep quiet

There must be kids working at Ashton Gate who find it funny to wind us up

message to them - it isn’t

Ivorguy in negative reaction shocker.

57 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Exactly this. I'm not against a "re-brand" per se, but it needs to be modernised not just a copy and paste job from something that looked alright in the 1970s.

I 'd look at it more that It was a truly outstanding badge in the 70's, and perhaps it was just decades ahead of it's time?

This is great news afaic., I'll be buying City clobber for the first time in a very long time if the Robin and Suspension Bridge is confirmed as being back as our badge.

Love It! 

It's a long time coming - hope it stays with us for the long term. 

My first kit had this on as a 7/8 year old and being it's my son's 8th Birthday today, I can't wait to tell him and show it to him after school - Great Decision by the Club!

Not a fan personally. Wasn’t the badge when I started supporting so have very little attachment to it. That said I can see why others do. 

Agree with what some have said in that if we genuinely are going to use this as a club crest then would like to have seen this rebranded ala Brentford as I looks very dated. 

My personal hope is that the crest is staying and the robin has it’s place somewhere on the kit, just not as our main badge. 

8 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

Awful, outdated, ugly and laughable. 

Anyone saying this is original only have to look at all the other teams called the Robins to work out it's not at all. It's truly horrible and to have such an outdated logo to front a team looking to move forwards into the future is massively confusing.

If you're going to get the Robin back, modernise it. Don't just place the old one on a new kit. That's like me putting those doiley things my Nan haf on the arms of her sofa onto a new leather corner sofa facing a 60" TV...

Bollocks to the Robin.

Curse your infernal riddles, do you like it or not?

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Seems strange and kind of wrong that neither the football club or the rugby club have this in some form now. 

Rememberhow the kit was revealed once, bit by bit, little teasers every day. Are we all jumping to the conclusion that this will be the main badge for our club. I bet it appears in a less prominent position on the shirt somewhere.

There was a post last week from someone claiming that Marvin Rees (mayor) had refused us permission to keep using the Bristol coat of arms, without hefty charges, so if that’s true, this makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I 'd look at it more that It was a truly outstanding badge in the 70's, and perhaps it was just decades ahead of it's time?

This is great news afaic., I'll be buying City clobber for the first time in a very long time if the Robin and Suspension Bridge is confirmed as being back as our badge.

And that is where, of course, the club are on a hiding to nothing. It's completely personal choice and they will never please everyone

iirc, a poll done on here fairly recently showed it was spilt very evenly in favour and against the robin.

My first post in this topic was one of the first critical of the robin, and has had many more likes than dislikes - so I would suggest to the fans saying that "it has been overwhelmingly received" is not true. It's much more split fans down the middle.

Each to their own - let's see what it looks like in person.

Archived