IGNORED

New Badge - The Robin is Back...or is it? Post #292 onwards!

Bar BS3

There definitely seems to be a divided opinion amongst us older ones and the young’uns (in general). 

It’s a shame that the young’uns can’t remember when the top sides in the country visited Ashton Gate and we had some of our finest players wear that badge.

Personally it feels like our identity is being given back. 

Might have to dust off my bucket hat in the loft!

12 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Very happy with this...is the badge i associate with my first years following the club

I first associate us with playing in Division Two, doesn't mean I want us to get relegated to bring back old times.

3 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Not convinced that this is the "main" badge. Maybe on the back of the neck or arm.

Am fairly sure the new Academy Kit has the old (current) badge and it would be odd to have different badges but not impossible obviously.

That’s what I am concluding too. There would have to be so much rebranding done that I don’t think it is the main badge. And if it was I think there would have been a huge relaunch campaign. 

57 minutes ago, brizzlecityfc said:

How on earth anyone can even like the BRISTOL CITY COUNCIL badge over the beautiful robin i have no idea. Real fans relate to the robin

ive even signed up on here 10mins ago just to say this is the best news in a very long time . providing its not just on the baby wear range or something!!

"Real fans".... see I think a "real fan" would support the club, not insult it's fans just because they have a different opinion... who know's maybe I'm just not elite enough to be a "real fan"....

28 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I am really fed up with club’s silly and insulting pr

Either make a proper announcement of kit and badge or keep quiet

There must be kids working at Ashton Gate who find it funny to wind us up

message to them - it isn’t

Tbf to Ivor Guy, he comes from a generation when if there was news it was just broadcast as in President Kennedy has been assassinated.They aren't used to how news is delivered today. If Kennedy was assassinated in 2018 it would go something like this:

Nov 21 - President Kennedy announces on Facebook that he will be passing by the Texas Book Depositary in Dealey Plaza, Dallas at about 12.30 tomorrow early afternoon.

It would say below this info that Lee Harvey Oswald Likes This.

Nov 22 - At 12.30 Jackie Kennedy would tweet that the President has been shot.

At 12.31 Jackie Kennedy would post a selfie showing her self covered in blood on instagram and ask if anyone has any good ideas regarding efficient means of stain removal as her brand new outfit will be ruined otherwise.

12.31 Jackie's followers on social media start retweeting the tragic news.

12.33 The assassination is trending on Google at number 2. It fails to knock Love Island off of top spot.

12.34 News of the assassination appears on fora worldwide. 

12.35 Lee Harvey Oswald takes sole credit for the assassination on Twitter and deletes all his associates on LinkedIn.

12.36 Monkeh posts on Otib that Lee Harvey Oswald sounds like the sort of target man City should be after.

12.45 Tomarse moves Monkeh's post to the Transfer Rumours Forum.

12.47 The EFL learning of City's potential interest state that Lee Harvey Oswald would have to serve a 5 match ban, slightly less than they dished out for Fammy.

1pm - Pretty well everyone in the world has heard the rumour that Kennedy has been assassinated.

1.12pm - Pretty well everyone in the world is watching a TV news channel. However, nothing is mentioned on the news because it arose online it could all be fake news.

1.20pm - News is at last officially broadcast that President Kennedy has been assassinated.

6.28pm - President Kennedy's brain appears on eBay starting price $12,000,000 with $6.75 postage.

Years later, when people are asked where they were when they heard the news that President Kennedy had been assassinated they will all say the same. They were in front of a TV screen waiting to hear news that President Kennedy had been assassinated.

You see how much better it is.

4 minutes ago, devoncider said:

And that is where, of course, the club are on a hiding to nothing. It's completely personal choice and they will never please everyone

iirc, a poll done on here fairly recently showed it was spilt very evenly in favour and against the robin.

My first post in this topic was one of the first critical of the robin, and has had many more likes than dislikes - so I would suggest to the fans saying that "it has been overwhelmingly received" is not true. It's much more split fans down the middle.

Each to their own - let's see what it looks like in person.

Oh, well if you're counting the likes and dislikes on your post criticising the Robin to guage opinion I'll have to go back and rubbish that post! ;)

I reckon Robin badge fans are too happy with the news to bother rubbishing every post that disagrees.

I don't know if there's 'overwhelming' support for the Robin, however I'd suggest the number extremely happy with the news dwarfs those who are actually put out by it.

There aren't many Crest fanatics imo. - some are so used to it they would rather it wasn't changed, but not many really that bothered as far as I can see. - whereas there are many who feel strongly the return of our iconic Robin and Bridge badge is fantastic news and well overdue.

8 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

There definitely seems to be a divided opinion amongst us older ones and the young’uns (in general). 

It’s a shame that the young’uns can’t remember when the top sides in the country visited Ashton Gate and we had some of our finest players wear that badge.

I think opinion is split, when it’s a choice between the 2. 

I prefer the coat of arms, but I’m perfectly happy with the Robin badge, if we have that back. 

1 hour ago, brizzlecityfc said:

How on earth anyone can even like the BRISTOL CITY COUNCIL badge over the beautiful robin i have no idea. Real fans relate to the robin

ive even signed up on here 10mins ago just to say this is the best news in a very long time . providing its not just on the baby wear range or something!!

Real fans were already signed up to OTIB in the first place.

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Tbf to Ivor Guy, he comes from a generation when if there was news it was just broadcast as in President Kennedy has been assassinated.They aren't used to how news is delivered today. If Kennedy was assassinated in 2018 it would go something like this:

Nov 21 - President Kennedy announces on Facebook that he will be passing by the Texas Book Depositary in Dealey Plaza, Dallas at about 12.30 tomorrow early afternoon.

At 12.31 Jackie Kennedy would post a selfie showing her self covered in blood on instagram and ask if anyone has any good ideas regarding efficient means of stain removal as her brand new outfit will be ruined otherwise.

12.33 The assassination is trending on Google at number 2. It fails to knock Love Island off of top spot.

12.35 Lee Harvey Oswald takes sole credit for the assassination on Twitter and deletes all his associates on LinkedIn.

12.36 Monkeh posts on Otib that Lee Harvey Oswald sounds like the sort of target man City should be after.

12.47 The EFL learning of City's potential interest state that Lee Harvey Oswald would have to serve a 5 match ban, slightly less than they dished out for Fammy.

1pm - Pretty well everyone in the world has heard the rumour that Kennedy has been assassinated.

1.12pm - Pretty well everyone in the world is watching a TV news channel. However, nothing is mentioned on the news because it arose online it could all be fake news.

1.20pm - News is at last officially broadcast that President Kennedy has been assassinated.

6.28pm - President Kennedy's brain appears on eBay starting price $12,000,000 with $6.75 postage.

Years later, when people are asked where they were when they heard the news that President Kennedy had been assassinated they will all say the same. They were in front of a TV screen waiting to hear news that President Kennedy had been assassinated.

rubbish, I don't post about players we should be after,

So what will the net effect of a robin badge and DUnder as shirt sponsor have to the sale of adult shirts. Will some of those who said that they would never buy a shirt with a betting firm on it change their mind to have a robin-emblazoned shirt?

12 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

It was also the badge on the shirt when the club almost died and was replaced by BCFC 82 when we reformed. The Robin has just as much bad nostalgia as it does good, either way for a club looking to move forward it's a terrible decision to go back to a dated badge, they very least they could have done was rebranded by creating a new, modern Robin that allowed the younger generation to identify with as well as the older generation.

We've already been accused of being backwards by other clubs and it's a hard case to fight when we've literally gone back to a badge from the 80's that certainly screams out "I was designed 42 years ago".

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Haha genius...a truly wonderful post

31 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

Awful, outdated, ugly and laughable. 

Anyone saying this is original only have to look at all the other teams called the Robins to work out it's not at all. It's truly horrible and to have such an outdated logo to front a team looking to move forwards into the future is massively confusing.

If you're going to get the Robin back, modernise it. Don't just place the old one on a new kit. That's like me putting those doiley things my Nan had on the arms of her sofa onto a new leather corner sofa facing a 60" TV...

Bollocks to the Robin.

I’m pretty sure they are going to modernise so don’t criticise before revealing. Can’t see them going with the 1976 badge, I think changes will be made.

2 hours ago, devoncider said:

Maybe I'm showing my age (under 25) - but I much prefer the current "new" one we have?

Personally think the robin/bridge/football is fine for Section 82 and supporters culture but as our official badge is tinpot?

Appreciate this is like marmite and is Bristol City's very own Brexit debate!

I'm over 50 and I agree with you.

Just personal preference, but I don't have any massive nostalgia for the robin and I cringe every time non-Bristolians (usually in the media) describe us as "The Robins" because it's a form of identification City fans never use. There are too many other "The Robins" who DO use it to identify them, in my opinion Also I might feel differently if a robin had been our symbol throughout the club's history, but it hasn't.

I appreciate I'm probably in a minority - at least on Otib - and TBH it's not an issue I get steamed up about. At least the new badge looks classy.

Oh and I like robins too. Feisty little buggers.

Just now, semblar said:

So what will the net effect of a robin badge and DUnder as shirt sponsor have to the sale of adult shirts. Will some of those who said that they would never buy a shirt with a betting firm on it change their mind to have a robin-emblazoned shirt?

I would be more likely to purchase products with a Robin on them. I am less likely to purchase anything with the council badge on it. It remains to be seen how the Robin would be  used on products. 

BS ability to cack things up from a strong position is consistent.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’m pretty sure they are going to modernise so don’t criticise before revealing. Can’t see them going with the 1976 badge, I think changes will be made.

I think the image we see is the image we will get. I can’t think the home shirt will have that much black in it, the away shirt might be purple and lime as it popular but more likely Dunder colours ( yellow and black) so this badge I reckon will appear on leisurewear, retro stuff or a third shirt. I do not think it will be a main badge. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

I would be more likely to purchase products with a Robin on them. I am less likely to purchase anything with the council badge on it. It remains to be seen how the Robin would be  used on products. 

We do not use the council's crest. This is the council crest  image.png.37914c50782c0912812c0ee03e894d0b.png

We use the heraldic arms of the City of Bristol, which date back before we had local government in the modern sense.

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

It was also the badge on the shirt when the club almost died and was replaced by BCFC 82 when we reformed. The Robin has just as much bad nostalgia as it does good, either way for a club looking to move forward it's a terrible decision to go back to a dated badge, they very least they could have done was rebranded by creating a new, modern Robin that allowed the younger generation to identify with as well as the older generation.

We've already been accused of being backwards by other clubs and it's a hard case to fight when we've literally gone back to a badge from the 80's that certainly screams out "I was designed 42 years ago".

I haven't got any (dis)likes left for the day so just... I agree.

:worship2:

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It's not the Council badge!

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I'm honestly gutted, I can accept the Robin, albeit unwillingly, but that badge is outdated and awful in design. 

I won't be buying a kit this season or any memorabilia etc I would have much preferred a compromise of a well designed, newer Robin badge. 

Oh right. 

I'm sure BS will change it now and send you food vouchers as compensation.

15 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Oh, well if you're counting the likes and dislikes on your post criticising the Robin to guage opinion I'll have to go back and rubbish that post! ;)

I reckon Robin badge fans are too happy with the news to bother rubbishing every post that disagrees.

I don't know if there's 'overwhelming' support for the Robin, however I'd suggest the number extremely happy with the news dwarfs those who are actually put out by it.

There aren't many Crest fanatics imo. - some are so used to it they would rather it wasn't changed, but not many really that bothered as far as I can see. - whereas there are many who feel strongly the return of our iconic Robin and Bridge badge is fantastic news and well overdue.

You could be right, that while Robin fanatics are in the minority and those who prefer the crest in the majority, that there is a disparity in how strong the two sides feel. 

The proof of the pudding will be when it's properly revealed. One way or another quite a big summer for the club with this, dunder, Beanhead leaving etc...

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We do not use the council's crest. This is the council crest  image.png.37914c50782c0912812c0ee03e894d0b.png

We use the heraldic arms of the City of Bristol, which date back before we had local government in the modern sense.

Through thread after thread you will see the same negative connotation being made. My Little Pony I have found to be the most humorous. 

2 minutes ago, devoncider said:

You could be right, that while Robin fanatics are in the minority and those who prefer the crest in the majority, that there is a disparity in how strong the two sides feel. 

The proof of the pudding will be when it's properly revealed. One way or another quite a big summer for the club with this, dunder, Beanhead leaving etc...

Maybe, but the news is certainly getting an overwhelmingly positive reaction on FB, even more so than here.

1 hour ago, brizzlecityfc said:

How on earth anyone can even like the BRISTOL CITY COUNCIL badge over the beautiful robin i have no idea. Real fans relate to the robin...

I don’t like the Bristol City Council logo, but I’m not sure what that’s got to do with a debate on the badge for Bristol City FC as we’ve never had the Council logo on our shirts...

E1A08A01-B11A-4F7B-A27C-CABC1BEE5683.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Oh right. 

I'm sure BS will change it now and send you food vouchers as compensation.

Have I at any point said I expect my personal preference to hold any weight? However, I will vote with what Bristol City do listen to, my wallet. I bought both kits last season, I'll save my money this season. 

Archived