IGNORED

New Badge - The Robin is Back...or is it? Post #292 onwards!

Bar BS3

1 hour ago, brizzlecityfc said:

How on earth anyone can even like the BRISTOL CITY COUNCIL badge over the beautiful robin i have no idea. Real fans relate to the robin

ive even signed up on here 10mins ago just to say this is the best news in a very long time . providing its not just on the baby wear range or something!!

"Real fans" don't call Bristol "Brizzle"...

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Through thread after thread you will see the same negative connotation being made. My Little Pony I have found to be the most humorous. 

It's a lion and a unicorn. Like the United Kingdom has on its heraldic shield. 

image.jpeg.6ca4c167e74887913ed6b01ead10a416.jpeg

I guess people who don't like heraldry and tradition will diss it...

TBH I don't mind anyone preferring the robin. It's a matter of personal taste.

But don't

A) Say we currently use the council crest. We don't

B) Say the robin is the traditional badge. It isn't.

I'm glad the robin has made some folk happy on here. That's a feat in itself.... ;)

26 minutes ago, Spike said:

It was also the badge on the shirt when the club almost died and was replaced by BCFC 82 when we reformed. The Robin has just as much bad nostalgia as it does good, either way for a club looking to move forward it's a terrible decision to go back to a dated badge, they very least they could have done was rebranded by creating a new, modern Robin that allowed the younger generation to identify with as well as the older generation.

We've already been accused of being backwards by other clubs and it's a hard case to fight when we've literally gone back to a badge from the 80's that certainly screams out "I was designed 42 years ago".

I kinda feel the same about the Section 82 name - why publicly hark back to a time when we went bust? I know this debate has been had - but if Section 82 can be justified as a name for a group of fans then the Robin can definitely be justified as being our badge....

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I would be surprised if most Real fans have heard of us.

Most will be still celebrating their European success and wondering what the new head coach is going to do.

Not much success at Real Betis, woss on about?   ;)

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

Have I at any point said I expect my personal preference to hold any weight? However, I will vote with what Bristol City do listen to, my wallet. I bought both kits last season, I'll save my money this season. 

Your personal preference should be the primordial concern of BS and quite rightly.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Your personal preference should be the primordial concern of BS and quite rightly.

This is one of the reasons this club struggles to deliver what the fans want, because not only is there are lot of different concerns/opinions/views it has a lot of fans who just can't have a civil discussion like grown up's, instead they get the snarky insulting tone like this. 

I can understand people thinking I'm "throwing my teddies out of the pram" or getting upset that things haven't gone the way that I wanted them but if you check my posts I'd already accepted the change may well happen and even taken time to design better alternatives. I like a pro-active approach to improving our club, I don't want to be just another fan who argues with others, I'll debate, I'll join discussion but all this mocking and insulting people is a large reason why the club hates having to deal with it's fans and can make decisions without including us.

I'm not against the coat of arms per se but it could be pretty much anyone, even those dirty swine in Horfield. The robin, with the bridge is most definitely us so I'm all for the return of the robin TBH.

Maybe a touch of nostalgia in all honesty but I'm glad to see it back, it's most certainly Bristol City FC and it may start to give us some of our identity back.

You never know, one day the powers that be might put something on Ashton gate to show that we actually play there! :whistle:

44 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think opinion is split, when it’s a choice between the 2. 

I prefer the coat of arms, but I’m perfectly happy with the Robin badge, if we have that back. 

Appreciate your views Bar BS3, but I believe it's only on this forum where views are split. In my personal experience, I'd say our general/wider support base are largely prefer the robin badge.

Speaking to fans reguarly in pubs pre-match, most favour the robin and have even stared campaigns to bring it back. Simply can't see that being the case to re-instate the current crest, should there be a badge change.

2 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Appreciate your views Bar BS3, but I believe it's only on this forum where views are split. In my personal experience, I'd say our general/wider support base are largely prefer the robin badge.

Speaking to fans reguarly in pubs pre-match, most favour the robin and have even stared campaigns to bring it back. Simply can't see that being the case to re-instate the current crest, should there be a badge change.

i would disagree, most couldn't give a shit to put it bluntly, 

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

This is one of the reasons this club struggles to deliver what the fans want, because not only is there are lot of different concerns/opinions/views it has a lot of fans who just can't have a civil discussion like grown up's, instead they get the snarky insulting tone like this. 

I can understand people thinking I'm "throwing my teddies out of the pram" or getting upset that things haven't gone the way that I wanted them but if you check my posts I'd already accepted the change may well happen and even taken time to design better alternatives. I like a pro-active approach to improving our club, I don't want to be just another fan who argues with others, I'll debate, I'll join discussion but all this mocking and insulting people is a large reason why the club hates having to deal with it's fans and can make decisions without including us.

None of the above Spike , I am just having a laugh at the fact that the club can't please all the people all the time or even some of the people all the time .

It's not a dig at you my friend.

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

There definitely seems to be a divided opinion amongst us older ones and the young’uns (in general). 

It’s a shame that the young’uns can’t remember when the top sides in the country visited Ashton Gate and we had some of our finest players wear that badge.

Personally it feels like our identity is being given back. 

Might have to dust off my bucket hat in the loft!

I think it’s more complicated than that. I’m 62 and don’t like it. I think those that love it were probably kids in the late 1970s but I was already over 20. I think many of “us older ones” over 60 prefer the class of the coat of arms.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

None of the above Spike , I am just having a laugh at the fact that the club can't please all the people all the time or even some of the people all the time .

It's not a dig at you my friend.

I apologise, it did come across that way. It can be very hard to tell on these forums sometimes.

Just now, Badger08 said:

PS, This could be a small version on the back of the shirt or on the sleeve. They may not be the main badge yet. 

Think this has been mentioned by several. I guess we just wait and see.

Could be a bit of a gaff by the club though? Putting it out there with no explanation so people jump to conclusions and assume we have dropped the cost of arms ( which we haven’t I don’t think). Fans will then be up in arms as the loved/hated Robin only appears on a unimportant item of clothing.

It could also be a clever ploy to sell unpopular third shirts/training wear. So home shirt + away shirt + 3rd shirt, well that will be more or less £150 please sir/madam. 

1 hour ago, Robin TBW said:

Awful, outdated, ugly and laughable. 

Anyone saying this is original only have to look at all the other teams called the Robins to work out it's not at all. It's truly horrible and to have such an outdated logo to front a team looking to move forwards into the future is massively confusing.

If you're going to get the Robin back, modernise it. Don't just place the old one on a new kit. That's like me putting those doiley things my Nan had on the arms of her sofa onto a new leather corner sofa facing a 60" TV...

Bollocks to the Robin.

Interesting username.............

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I like it. I like that it is more distinctive. However, I would have taken the opportunity to modernise it just a little bit. Not sure how, but I might have just made a few tweaks.

modernise it ? maybe with a few tweets!!

31 minutes ago, Undy English said:

With respect, I’d think it’s the complete opposite..! I guess it depends where you sit, where you drink etc. 

I believe I’m right in saying that the big campaign to “bring the Robin back” led to a petition which only contained a thousand or so supporters. 

I think the mayors withdrawal of use of the coat of arms has far more to do with this, than supporter preference. 

As I say, I’m not against the Robin badge whatsoever and welcome it’s return, I just think that the coat of arms is a bit more “grown up” and classy and shows that we are representing Bristol. 

I would like to see a slightly modernised version for the return, personally, but nothing too different to the 1990’s version. 

Archived