IGNORED

New Badge - The Robin is Back...or is it? Post #292 onwards!

Bar BS3

For a club that attracted so much media attention worldwide for the modern goal gifs last season, bringing back an old badge such as this is surely a backward step? I remember the kits with the robin badge on fondly, my first top being the red home top when the badge was in the middle, but it’s a bit, well, crap looking through 21st century eyes. 

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What are you talking about? They’ve released an image!

Not really, they’ve just posted a teaser and said “coming soon, it’s back”

I would like a subtly modernised version.  

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Out of interest, does anyone know if there has been any supporter consultation on this?? @Dollymarie @Blagdon red

Or am I right in assuming there is no consultation on any significant issues anymore ie changing the name of the rugby club, season ticket prices etc etc

There’s been about 5 years of campaigning for it, from some. So I think it’s harsh to criticise “no consultation” on this. Especially if it’s not even a choice, if rights to use the Bristol coat of arms has been revoked, then this (or a version of it) is the only natural replacement. 

Only if it’s significantly modernised/changed, should there definitely have been consultation.  

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

That teaser is a new pic definitely, I bet it’s that badge and the away kits black, 

Very likely, but they’d hardly use a picture from some scabby 20 year old kit, where the badge is peeling off..! 

I’m sure they have the means to a new looking image somewhere..! 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

There’s been about 5 years of campaigning for it, from some. So I think it’s harsh to criticise “no consultation” on this. Especially if it’s not even a choice, if rights to use the Bristol coat of arms has been revoked, then this (or a version of it) is the only natural replacement. 

Only if it’s significantly modernised/changed, should there definitely have been consultation.  

Considering we get crowds of about 22,000 I'd be interested to see how many were involved in this huge campaign. 

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Out of interest, does anyone know if there has been any supporter consultation on this?? @Dollymarie @Blagdon red

Or am I right in assuming there is no consultation on any significant issues anymore ie changing the name of the rugby club, season ticket prices etc etc

I’d imagine the only consultation involved was when Jon flicked through his “My First Business” book absent mindedly one day whilst looking at YouTube clips of Ligue 1 with Mark Ashton. 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So, as far as you're aware there has been no consultation?

Thanks for your input :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Robin TBW said:

Awful, outdated, ugly and laughable. 

Anyone saying this is original only have to look at all the other teams called the Robins to work out it's not at all. It's truly horrible and to have such an outdated logo to front a team looking to move forwards into the future is massively confusing.

If you're going to get the Robin back, modernise it. Don't just place the old one on a new kit. That's like me putting those doiley things my Nan had on the arms of her sofa onto a new leather corner sofa facing a 60" TV...

Bollocks to the Robin.

Bore off crest man - you’re history now -just like your unloved council badge.

I like the Robin badge but prefer the Bristol Coat of arms. Doesn't look like the Robin will feature on the home kit or the teaser would have been released on a red shirt? I'd be happy with the Coat of arms on the home kit and Robin on the Black away kit.

54 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Didn't you say you were going to do mischievous things to Jon Lansdown if the robin badge made a return?

No, I said I'd let him do mischievous things to me ;)

You know where I am Jon...

People. I have the solution. One that will keep everyone happy.

Think back to the 80s and the use of lenticular images on things, (I seem to remember having a ruler in my pencil case at school that you could move and it would either show Snoopy asleep on top of his kennel or standing next to it). Back then it was like having a telly on you.

So we adopt this aged tech on the badge and then we can have both on the shirt.

For those wondering, I think I swapped the ruler for a highlighter pen.

card.gif

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not really, they’ve just posted a teaser and said “coming soon, it’s back”

I would like a subtly modernised version.  

Seriously?!  It would be pretty barmy marketing even by City's standards to release an image of the crest that isn't the actual crest we're getting.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

People. I have the solution. One that will keep everyone happy.

Think back to the 80s and the use of lenticular images on things, (I seem to remember having a ruler in my pencil case at school that you could move and it would either show Snoopy asleep on top of his kennel or standing next to it). Back then it was like having a telly on you.

So we adopt this aged tech on the badge and then we can have both on the shirt.

For those wondering, I think I swapped the ruler for a highlighter pen.

card.gif

I had a pen that you could actually rub out. They were great times. Nowadays it’s all FIFA and Love Island. 

20 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

Considering we get crowds of about 22,000 I'd be interested to see how many were involved in this huge campaign. 

It was pretty well documented, so I’d suggest that most who cared either way, were aware of it. 

Just now, CyderInACan said:

I had a pen that you could actually rub out. They were great times. Nowadays it’s all FIFA and Love Island. 

The world has changed Reg. No doubt about it.

Bet there are kids these days who have never heard of Tippex, let alone spent double-maths getting a headache sniffing Tippex thinners.

A nation weeps.

8 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Would be a first to have a different badge for a home and away kit?

Image result for alf home and away

I'd be very surprised if there was more than one badge.  The club needs a single identify for all the different places the badge appears - not only on the shirt, but at the stadium, on the website, in print - even that bit at the start of the TV highlights.  It's possible I suppose that the badge may just be a motif that appears somewhere on the shirt, with the existing crest retained.  But even that I think is unlikely.  If they take a common sense approach to the marketing (which is by no means guaranteed with our club), then personally I think it needs to be all or nothing.

I've said before that the crest is dated and doesn't look great in digital form.  However I'm not convinced this dated robin design fits the bill either.  I was expecting a modern version in the Brentford mould.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Seriously?!  It would be pretty barmy marketing even by City's standards to release an image of the crest that isn't the actual crest we're getting.

Not really, if it was just saying that the Robin is returning. 

Who knows..?!

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The world has changed Reg. No doubt about it.

Bet there are kids these days who have never heard of Tippex, let alone spent double-maths getting a headache sniffing Tippex thinners.

A nation weeps.

Ahhhhhh Tippex. Wasn’t it something daft like 1.1.1 Trichloroethane (and no I haven’t googled it, I just remember some random shit, honestly) 

What about those bulky pens that had 6 or so different colours you could write in? 

Andbwho else remembers Carbon Paper? The game’s gone. 

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not really, if it was just saying that the Robin is returning. 

Who knows..?!

Well if the Robin is back I’d like to see the Batman get a look in too. 

Any other fictional cartoon characters we could fit in there whilst we’re at it?

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Ahhhhhh Tippex. Wasn’t it something daft like 1.1.1 Trichloroethane (and no I haven’t googled it, I just remember some random shit, honestly) 

What about those bulky pens that had 6 or so different colours you could write in? 

Andbwho else remembers Carbon Paper? The game’s gone. 

Crank up the Banda machine. I feel a leaflet campaign coming on. 

Archived