IGNORED

New Badge - The Robin is Back...or is it? Post #292 onwards!

Bar BS3

4 hours ago, Spike said:

I would have much preferred a compromise of a well designed, newer Robin badge. 

Most clubs evolve their logos gradually - a switch straight to a brand new Robin would be too much for most to take. My guess is this lasts for 1-2 seasons and then a modernised version is introduced. With the advantage you have to buy everything for a third time in 5 years (if that's your thing).

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Most clubs evolve their logos gradually - a switch straight to a brand new Robin would be too much for most to take. My guess is this lasts for 1-2 seasons and then a modernised version is introduced. With the advantage you have to buy everything for a third time in 5 years (if that's your thing).

Also great news for Bristol's tattoo artists 

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Robin barstewards !

42 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I had a pen that you could actually rub out. They were great times. Nowadays it’s all FIFA and Love Island. 

efffff.jpg   All hate Tippex clap your hands

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

With respect, I’d think it’s the complete opposite..! I guess it depends where you sit, where you drink etc. 

I believe I’m right in saying that the big campaign to “bring the Robin back” led to a petition which only contained a thousand or so supporters. 

I think the mayors withdrawal of use of the coat of arms has far more to do with this, than supporter preference. 

As I say, I’m not against the Robin badge whatsoever and welcome it’s return, I just think that the coat of arms is a bit more “grown up” and classy and shows that we are representing Bristol. 

I would like to see a slightly modernised version for the return, personally, but nothing too different to the 1990’s version. 

You might be correct there, suppose it depends on age, preferences etc. I drink in the Spanish and Lions usually and yet to meet anyone who doesn't prefer the robin badge. That said, I know a few lads with the city crest as a tattoo who aren't too pleased on hearing the badge change news!

41 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Ahhhhhh Tippex. Wasn’t it something daft like 1.1.1 Trichloroethane (and no I haven’t googled it, I just remember some random shit, honestly) 

What about those bulky pens that had 6 or so different colours you could write in? 

Andbwho else remembers Carbon Paper? The game’s gone. 

We could only afford the Bic 4 colour ones.

People like you bragging about having 6+ colours make me sick.

image.thumb.png.694da443627e99479dd1460b9a7a6a0f.png

With respect, I’d think it’s the complete opposite..! I guess it depends where you sit, where you drink etc. 

Where you come from. Many City fans do not come from Bristol.

that we are representing Bristol. 

And it is part of that many fans never liked. Bristol City once were the West Country club. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Out of interest, does anyone know if there has been any supporter consultation on this?? @Dollymarie @Blagdon red

Or am I right in assuming there is no consultation on any significant issues anymore ie changing the name of the rugby club, season ticket prices etc etc

@thatcham red is better placed to answer than me, only passing the buck because I know he was the one at meetings with James Grizz Grieve back before he sadly passed away. 

9 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

We could only afford the Bic 4 colour ones.

People like you bragging about having 6+ colours make me sick.

image.thumb.png.694da443627e99479dd1460b9a7a6a0f.png

As a fellow Old Bristolian (I think, sure I remember that from a previous thread somewhere) I’m here for you. I’ll let you have a lend of my 6-er if you want? 

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

If they’ve changed the badge without actually consulting the fans I’ll be furious. I honestly adore our current badge. Hate the modern ones like Wolves or Derby with minimal content. 

Wolves and Derby are up there with the best. You know instantly who it is. With ours you have to squint and work through Burnley, Bury, Huddersfield etc before realising (if you can) it's us. Even that horrible ******* pirate is obvious it's the Few

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Out of interest, does anyone know if there has been any supporter consultation on this?? @Dollymarie @Blagdon red

Or am I right in assuming there is no consultation on any significant issues anymore ie changing the name of the rugby club, season ticket prices etc etc

JL done a twitter poll 6 - 8 months ago. Does that count?

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Jon having 'bantz' 

#WhatALad

Surely JT is waiting for the new Liverpool kit anyway

P.S who's going to make me some new post icons for the forum :facepalm:

Don’t know where people are getting that opinions are evenly split, personally I don’t know anyone who prefers the coat of arms, I grew up with the robin so i’m biased but even my 3 kids recognise how iconic the robin is with the magnificent suspension bridge in the background 

Just now, harrys said:

Don’t know where people are getting that opinions are evenly split, personally I don’t know anyone who prefers the coat of arms, I grew up with the robin so i’m biased but even my 3 kids recognise how iconic the robin is with the magnificent suspension bridge in the background 

Very frequent polls on here and on twitter show feeling is split.

As do comments in this thread

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely it does! What was the result out of interest? 

As I remember, a slight favouring of the robin, but it wasn't a landslide (as you can see from the reaction on here)
I'm sure someone else on here will remember and be able to correct me as needed

Edit - @WRERE has done the hard work for me!

Just now, harrys said:

Most fans I know don’t post on here and don’t use Twitter 

True, but that does that mean that OTIB and Twitter are not representative of the fanbase as a cross section?

I see no reason why not

I personally prefer the coat of arms, despite starting to watch City in the 80s.

I don't have a problem with robin coming back, but I do have a problem if we are keeping the 86 design. It looks hideously dated and it's no exaggeration to say that a child could do much better with today's technology. Most of the designs posters on here have done are far more fit for purpose imo.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

It was also the badge on the shirt when the club almost died and was replaced by BCFC 82 when we reformed. The Robin has just as much bad nostalgia as it does good, either way for a club looking to move forward it's a terrible decision to go back to a dated badge, they very least they could have done was rebranded by creating a new, modern Robin that allowed the younger generation to identify with as well as the older generation.

We've already been accused of being backwards by other clubs and it's a hard case to fight when we've literally gone back to a badge from the 80's that certainly screams out "I was designed 42 years ago".

You were telling us yesterday that it was the club's decision to use 1897 as the date of foundation so you went along with it because that was what the club decided. Well the club seem to have decided that a design from 42 years ago is THE design, so why are you now arguing the toss about it? 

Yes, to me it screams out that I was designed 42 years ago. But it also screams out, 'There were some bloody good designers 42 years ago' as well. 

20 minutes ago, devoncider said:

True, but that does that mean that OTIB and Twitter are not representative of the fanbase as a cross section?

I see no reason why not

No, roughly how many would you say have expressed an opinion on Twitter ?

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

No, roughly how many would you say have expressed an opinion on Twitter ?

I haven't been on today, but posts of this magnitude from the club get hundreds of likes and replies - often people tagging their mates in it and therefore further increasing the number in the debate.

Of course, OTIB and Twitter are still a minority of the fan base, but one would expect the split reaction to follow through to the rest of the supporters. 

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

You were telling us yesterday that it was the club's decision to use 1897 as the date of foundation so you went along with it because that was what the club decided. Well the club seem to have decided that a design from 42 years ago is THE design, so why are you now arguing the toss about it? 

Yes, to me it screams out that I was designed 42 years ago. But it also screams out, 'There were some bloody good designers 42 years ago' as well. 

I never said I agreed with the clubs decision, if you go back to what i said I think you'll find I said "It's not my debate to have". My decision to use that year is because I was designing a club crest and the last crest to use a year established was 1987, hence I used that. At no point did I say the year was "correct" or that I agreed with it, just as I made it clear that the whole reason I made a design at all was because I felt the design of the old Robins badge is dated.

You only need to look at my posts to see I have clear opinions on the Robin, I prefer the Sheild with the City of Bristol Coat of Arms. I also said the only reason I would accept the clubs decision to go back to the Robin was if it were down to the rumour that the club was being scammed for money for using the Coat of Arms.
On top of that I also said I would much prefer a new, modern Robin, not one that looked like an 8 year old drew it in the 70's.

Anyway, as I still love to design I've taken the badge (the one I do not like but accept for now but would prefer a modern version of) and the new sponsor and made a mock up of what our kit could look like.

1WUjHt0.png

In all honesty, I am not a fan of "Dunder" or the old Robin, I'd much prefer a different sponsor and a modernised badge but working with what I have I went fro a mix between modern and retro in the kit design.

Archived