IGNORED

New Badge - The Robin is Back...or is it? Post #292 onwards!

Bar BS3

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

For a club that attracted so much media attention worldwide for the modern goal gifs last season, bringing back an old badge such as this is surely a backward step? I remember the kits with the robin badge on fondly, my first top being the red home top when the badge was in the middle, but it’s a bit, well, crap looking through 21st century eyes. 

Reg, am I right in saying that the council are stopping us using the coat of arms.

Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

42 minutes ago, harrys said:

Most fans I know don’t post on here and don’t use Twitter 

So the fans you know personally are a more representative cross section of the fanbase than either the club’s most popular forum or one of the world’s most popular social media platforms. Sure.

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

I never said I agreed with the clubs decision, if you go back to what i said I think you'll find I said "It's not my debate to have". My decision to use that year is because I was designing a club crest and the last crest to use a year established was 1987, hence I used that. At no point did I say the year was "correct" or that I agreed with it, just as I made it clear that the whole reason I made a design at all was because I felt the design of the old Robins badge is dated.

You only need to look at my posts to see I have clear opinions on the Robin, I prefer the Sheild with the City of Bristol Coat of Arms. I also said the only reason I would accept the clubs decision to go back to the Robin was if it were down to the rumour that the club was being scammed for money for using the Coat of Arms.
On top of that I also said I would much prefer a new, modern Robin, not one that looked like an 8 year old drew it in the 70's.

Anyway, as I still love to design I've taken the badge (the one I do not like but accept for now but would prefer a modern version of) and the new sponsor and made a mock up of what our kit could look like.

1WUjHt0.png

In all honesty, I am not a fan of "Dunder" or the old Robin, I'd much prefer a different sponsor and a modernised badge but working with what I have I went fro a mix between modern and retro in the kit design.

You said that you went along with what the club's decision was and the club chose 1897 (not 1987 as you state in your reply here) as you stated that there was no point in arguing about it because the club had decided that and any designer that they engaged would be told to use that year so you stated that it was in effect pointless to argue with it.

However, surely if the club have decided to use the robin and suspension bridge badge it means that any designer engaged to design it will be told to use that, so applying your same logic, it is pointless arguing about it. Yet, a day later you are doing exactly what you accused those of us against 1897 of doing!! I'm confused.

Btw, when I argue a point with someone I at least do not stoop to the juvenile reaction of awarding them a rubbish icon as you have done with mine. Indeed, yesterday I had the good grace to praise one of your designs, ignoring the year, and that still stands today. Indeed, all I ever do is award positive reaction. I have never awarded negative reaction for people just expressing their views. There is enough negativity without adding to it.

32 minutes ago, Spike said:

I never said I agreed with the clubs decision, if you go back to what i said I think you'll find I said "It's not my debate to have". My decision to use that year is because I was designing a club crest and the last crest to use a year established was 1987, hence I used that. At no point did I say the year was "correct" or that I agreed with it, just as I made it clear that the whole reason I made a design at all was because I felt the design of the old Robins badge is dated.

You only need to look at my posts to see I have clear opinions on the Robin, I prefer the Sheild with the City of Bristol Coat of Arms. I also said the only reason I would accept the clubs decision to go back to the Robin was if it were down to the rumour that the club was being scammed for money for using the Coat of Arms.
On top of that I also said I would much prefer a new, modern Robin, not one that looked like an 8 year old drew it in the 70's.

Anyway, as I still love to design I've taken the badge (the one I do not like but accept for now but would prefer a modern version of) and the new sponsor and made a mock up of what our kit could look like.

1WUjHt0.png

In all honesty, I am not a fan of "Dunder" or the old Robin, I'd much prefer a different sponsor and a modernised badge but working with what I have I went fro a mix between modern and retro in the kit design.

Christ that looks 80s.

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

A poll on here only shows the opinions of about 0.0000005% of our fanbase....

and the thousands on twitter increase that somewhat.

The point I am making is not that OTIB is our entire fan base, merely that it, combined with social media, provides a good cross section. We have no reason to think that this cross section is not representative of the entire Bristol City fan base.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

- snipped beautiful design for space -

I like both badges and grew up with the Robin but also have concerns about it looking dated, however incorporated in your design, actually on a shirt, it does seem clearer. I wouldn't say it looks eighties, it certainly looks unique.

A simple enhancement for historic effect would be to put the year either side of the football (two digits each side) as I think the lack of any obvious historic credentials is what causes some of the reservations with this badge.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

I like both badges and grew up with the Robin but also have concerns about it looking dated, however incorporated in your design, actually on a shirt, it does seem clearer. I wouldn't say it looks eighties, it certainly looks unique.

A simple enhancement for historic effect would be to put the year either side of the football (two digits each side) as I think the lack of any obvious historic credentials is what causes some of the reservations with this badge.

Think that would look very good actually. @Spike if you're at a loose end fancy mocking that up? 18 94 split on each side?

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Absolute key point in all of this, Ole

UNIQUE, not another generic, boring coat of arms. That badge screams 'Bristol City' at me, I'd even remove the wording

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A poll on here only shows the opinions of about 0.0000005% of our fanbase....

Don’t bother trying to tell educate some on here BS4, some of our fans are right melts  (whatever that means)

11 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Still can't beat this one! Now, this is the perfect modern/contemporary take on the robin badge.  

2C621110-36C3-44FC-BCB4-5DF844DD1534.jpeg.1f1649ed7275ef9f1406841626a924a1.jpeg

I think that looks more dated than the one tweeted. 1950’s/60’s, heavy leather football era. The font looks like one of those old cigarette or chocolate advertising signs. And where’s the bridge? 

Not for me at all, personal opinions and all that isn’t it.

13 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

UNIQUE, not another generic, boring coat of arms. That badge screams 'Bristol City' at me, I'd even remove the wording

Quite agree, it doesn't need the wording as the three things used virtually say Bristol (suspension bridge) football club (the ball) and the team that plays in red and is known as The robins (City). People who say a five year old could have drawn it are condescending about its simplicity. But the very best designs always strike the beholder as simplistic. Jeez, if a design was complicated it wouldn't be fulfilling its function.

16 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

That's the critical point for me, too - which is why I prefer the coat of arms!

There's only one city of Bristol but several clubs calling themselves 'The Robins' which means it doesn't differentiate us from Cheltenham or bloody Swindon. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

1WUjHt0.png

That looks soo sexy :wub::worship2: 

15 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That's the critical point for me, too - which is why I prefer the coat of arms!

There's only one city of Bristol but several clubs calling themselves 'The Robins' which means it doesn't differentiate us from Cheltenham or bloody Swindon. 

I hear you, MM

Have Swindon ever used a robin for their badge? I don't remember one in my time? I quite like what Cheltenham done with their badge 10 years or so ago

29 minutes ago, harrys said:

Don’t bother trying to tell educate some on here BS4, some of our fans are right melts  (whatever that means)

44 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Not overly fussed either way,but because something is unique doesn’t make it good,think Memorial Ground..........now that’s unique.

Archived