IGNORED

New Badge - The Robin is Back...or is it? Post #292 onwards!

Bar BS3

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

But we have been wearing the coat of arms since 1901 and only briefly used the robin in 1949 for a while then 1976-94. So we’ve been wearing the coat of arms for 24 years since the robin was scrapped, and overall for far longer.

In terms of our history and tradition, the coat of arms wins hands down - but because OTIB contains a lot of people who were around 1976-94, their feelings don’t reflect that.

We didn’t have a badge on our kit from 1903 to 1949 (except in the 1909 FA Cup Final) so to say we have been wearing the coat of arms since 1901 is a bit of an exaggeration - we had it from 1901 to 1903 then went 46 years with no badge and then decided to have the robin in 1949....

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We didn’t have a badge on our kit from 1903 to 1949 (except in the 1909 FA Cup Final) so to say we have been wearing the coat of arms since 1901 is a bit of an exaggeration - we had it from 1901 to 1903 then went 46 years with no badge and then decided to have the robin in 1949....

Fair point, but I’m just countering those who don’t like the coat of arms, when in fact it has a greater claim than the robin to be our traditional badge. We have worn the coat of arms for what, 46 years, compared with say 20 for the robin.

22 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The 1901/2 and 1902/3 team pictures in David Woods’ “The Bristol Babe” clearly show a badge on the shirts, though it then disappears. So I would say the various websites that state this are indeed correct.

Yes, I was going to say that there were possibly other pictures which might show the players wearing a top with a badge in the same season as there are pictures in which they aren't wearing one. So it does mean there were two seasons in which they wore the badge pre-war. So it isn't as many seasons as first quoted.

Also, City's nickname at that time was 'The Babes' so a robin wouldn't have appeared on a badge until after WW2 anyway, so it is only fair to count the years when the robin had a chance to appear on the shirt. It would be fair to say that seeing that the coat of arms has appeared on City shirts for 117 years it has been unpopular because the majority of those years it HASNT appeared on the shirt. Indeed, as the robin has only had chance to appear since about 1946 it can be said that the robin has appeared on the City shirt for a greater proportion of the time it could have appeared than has the coat of arms.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Fair point, but I’m just countering those who don’t like the coat of arms, when in fact it has a greater claim than the robin to be our traditional badge. We have worn the coat of arms for what, 46 years, compared with say 20 for the robin.

I’m not sure length of time should be used as a criteria for which badge is best or has a greater claim to be on the kit....basically we’ve only had two badges in our history - the coat of arms vs the robin & the suspension bridge. Obviously opinions will be split between these two....I prefer the robin badge because other clubs have used the Bristol coat of arms so it’s not unique to us....the robin on a football in front of the suspension bridge is very unique to us....I love it...

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It would be fair to say that seeing that the coat of arms has appeared on City shirts for 117 years it has been unpopular because the majority of those years it HASNT appeared on the shirt...

I think I agree with most of your post but I’ve read the sentence above 11 times and I still don’t understand it! Apologies mate...

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That's the critical point for me, too - which is why I prefer the coat of arms!

There's only one city of Bristol but several clubs calling themselves 'The Robins' which means it doesn't differentiate us from Cheltenham or bloody Swindon. 

The design is as much about the bridge as it is the robin imo.

Together, they separate us from any other ‘Robins’.

57 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think I agree with most of your post but I’ve read the sentence above 11 times and I still don’t understand it! Apologies mate...

That's ok, just got back from playing football at the time so was out of puff and thus didn't explain it properly. To put it better: 117 years ago the coat of arms first appeared on the City shirt. The majority of years since then it HASN'T been on City's shirts, thus it can't have been that popular. 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It first appeared in 1949 - because our nickname is The Robins....

But there must be more to the story than that? Like where did the robins nickname come from? Or was it just the thing at the time that football clubs had bird related nicknames? Why did we choose the robins? Why did we decide to ditch the crest in favour of a robin badge?

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

But there must be more to the story than that? Like where did the robins nickname come from? Or was it just the thing at the time that football clubs had bird related nicknames? Why did we choose the robins? Why did we decide to ditch the crest in favour of a robin badge?

Sorry for my flippant response....in our very early history we had a variety of nicknames including The Babes, The Garibaldians, The Citizens, The Red Shirts, The Reds and The Robins....obviously the last one was the one that stuck, I don’t think it was ‘the thing’ to have a bird related nickname at the time....but I love The Robins as a nickname, they are feisty little buggers who defend their territory until the end....it was inevitable that our club would adopt our nickname as an image on our badge eventually, and it happened in 1949....I love our history, our nickname and the Robin badge....

7 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Oh dear 

101E99BF-AAB0-46A3-991A-0CD8AC0333C9.jpeg

WTF is gong on!? 

Just seen that. All very strange! I’m guessing the Robin will be a ‘lesser’ badge sewn onto a sleeve or maybe replacing the symbol on the back of the neck. Lots of white in this as well! 

Archived