IGNORED

New Badge - The Robin is Back...or is it? Post #292 onwards!

Bar BS3

If it's right that the robin is on the away top I will be buying my first football top in 10 years,

As for the rumours that the home kits red and white stripes all I can say is really, what's that got to do with city, anyone know if we have ever had a horizontal stripes top before

59 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Don't think you can have different badges on different kits 

These days it's quite common mate. Look at Serie A this season: Lazio have their 'old' badge on the home kit for the retro appeal, but the away and third kits have the 'normal' club crest.

Last season, Roma had their 'normal' club crest of the home kit but the old 1900s 'lupa' wolf version on the away kit, to critical acclaim.

Generally I think it's a marketing ploy to tug the heart strings of fans who look back to the 'olden days' as the glory years of kit manufacture.

2 minutes ago, Undy English said:

These days it's quite common mate. Look at Serie A this season: Lazio have their 'old' badge on the home kit for the retro appeal, but the away and third kits have the 'normal' club crest.

Last season, Roma had their 'normal' club crest of the home kit but the old 1900s 'lupa' wolf version on the away kit, to critical acclaim.

Generally I think it's a marketing ploy to tug the heart strings of fans who look back to the 'olden days' as the glory years of kit manufacture.

If you are savvy (that excludes BS) marketing can be used to engage support. Roma include fans in decisions despite having kit via nike. The badges they use uphold club traditions and strengthen them. 

6 minutes ago, winsaw said:

If it's right that the robin is on the away top I will be buying my first football top in 10 years,

As for the rumours that the home kits red and white stripes all I can say is really, what's that got to do with city, anyone know if we have ever had a horizontal stripes top before

Yes there’s one posted on this thread

I’m thinking we will have the crest on both our home and away shirts but the robin will be on the third shirt. Remember when we first got purple and lime back, that was a third shirt and sold loads and not so many purchased the ‘proper’ second shirt.

I’m thinking there is a huge mark up, £££ to be made on shirts.  Most people buy the home shirt out of habit, standard thing to do. If the away shirt is really nice they will buy that too. Now we have the robin badge that many will find hard to resist, so stick that on a third shirt and they will fly out the shop too. People who usually buy one shirt will now want two, people who buy two will want the third. Marketing.

18 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Yep

3 hours ago, Red Homer said:

Even if it looked something like this?

football_shirt_227_1_369x277x1.jpg

Must add. Loved the away version of this, not so much the home one. That said , I'll wait to see what it's like before losing my shit (as the kids never say)

s-l300.jpg

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Just realised what it obviously going on with all these teasers.

There WILL be a new badge. These examples are all leisure wear.

These strap-lines "The Classic" are all leading up to something else.

"The Future"? Better value off a brand consultant while doing the "Bears".

My first thought too

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’m thinking we will have the crest on both our home and away shirts but the robin will be on the third shirt. Remember when we first got purple and lime back, that was a third shirt and sold loads and not so many purchased the ‘proper’ second shirt.

I’m thinking there is a huge mark up, £££ to be made on shirts.  Most people buy the home shirt out of habit, standard thing to do. If the away shirt is really nice they will buy that too. Now we have the robin badge that many will find hard to resist, so stick that on a third shirt and they will fly out the shop too. People who usually buy one shirt will now want two, people who buy two will want the third. Marketing.

And I would buy all 3. They better buy some players with that money though!!

3 hours ago, Red Homer said:

Even if it looked something like this?

football_shirt_227_1_369x277x1.jpg

It won't though...and I didn't like that one either...plain red shirt is Bristol City...remember what happened when we had the black and white bib design a couple seasons back... relegation. Hated that kit as well.

One of our biggest problems as a club is not embracing tradition, constant bloomin tinkering. It annoys me.

McDs, Nike, Apple and virtually every successful 'brand' spend billions creating unique logo identities - but what do they know?

Let's go the whole hog and have alternate badges for our third and training kits. It'll keep us on our toes, like the all lime green kit we ran out in at Upton Park that time.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Roma have frequently used two badges one for the home strip and a alternative for the second kit. I would suggest they have a very very strong identity.

I would suggest their strong identity has more to do with decades of success at European level than their badge(s). It matters less when you’re that big.

Incidentally I couldn’t recall what Roma’s badge looks like in the same way I could for many other top European clubs.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep

Must add. Loved the away version of this, not so much the home one. That said , I'll wait to see what it's like before losing my shit (as the kids never say)

s-l300.jpg

I still own this one :)

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

So I guess you were already aware of BetBright before Forest announced their new sponsor? Or are they tinpot too? 

Repeat for dozens of other teams...

Betbright are a big bookmaker so yes definitely heard of them , unlike Dunder !

22 hours ago, Olé said:

I like both badges and grew up with the Robin but also have concerns about it looking dated, however incorporated in your design, actually on a shirt, it does seem clearer. I wouldn't say it looks eighties, it certainly looks unique.

A simple enhancement for historic effect would be to put the year either side of the football (two digits each side) as I think the lack of any obvious historic credentials is what causes some of the reservations with this badge.

22 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Think that would look very good actually. @Spike if you're at a loose end fancy mocking that up? 18 94 split on each side?

xFdHiPG.png

57 minutes ago, Spike said:

I still own this one :)

Me too.
Funny enough I've just got a couple of away shirts, first time I've bought a shirt in maybe 15 years. Last years , new with tags and the black with purple and lime strip. Both for just over £20 delivered. I won't pay £40 , and they won't discount old shirts.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I would suggest their strong identity has more to do with decades of success at European level than their badge(s). It matters less when you’re that big.

Incidentally I couldn’t recall what Roma’s badge looks like in the same way I could for many other top European clubs.

I can instantly think of Roma's badge, or its forms. They have a non negotiable - The Wolf and colours are in various guises are part of all badges. 

I would politely suggest a team can have a strong identity without decades of success. People who visit Tilburg remark that the clubs tricolores identity evident on shirts, badges and badges (they use sometimes two away - home kit) , the stadium is strident, bold and very strong. With respects to Willem II they are perennial underachievers like BCFC. The tricolores identity is like Roma's a non negotiable.

Your last sentence can apply to BCFC and the crest. It is indistinct. It is unpopular among sections of support. That is a weak identity. Fans at Bristol City clearly have a great attachment to the Robin, it is clearly part of strong traditions and lasting fan culture, that does not mean the Robin should replace the Crest, but it makes sense that these traditions should not be ignored.

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

For it’s time it’s great but looks horribly dated now. 

Updating doesn't always improve.

The old crest of Atyeo's time had real character, the updated one we wear now is very poor indeed in comparison imo.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Updating doesn't always improve.

The old crest of Atyeo's time had real character, the updated one we wear now is very poor indeed in comparison imo.

I agree. But that robin crest undeniably looks very dated and would stand out of the crowd in a negative way. 

I don’t think it would need enormous changes to make it into a really nice looking logo. Just a font change and a couple of minor clean ups would give it a fresh new look whilst being fundamentally the same badge. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I agree. But that robin crest undeniably looks very dated and would stand out of the crowd in a negative way. 

I don’t think it would need enormous changes to make it into a really nice looking logo. Just a font change and a couple of minor clean ups would give it a fresh new look whilst being fundamentally the same badge. 

You could be right, but I do think it was ahead of it's time so would only require minimal change.

@Spike could you clean up/modernise @Cambridge Batch Red's Robin badge in the way @BRISTOL86 describes ?

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You could be right, but I do think it was ahead of it's time so would only require minimal change.

@Spike could you clean up/modernise @Cambridge Batch Red's Robin badge in the way @BRISTOL86 describes ?

Which badge is his? I'd imagine if he made it he would have the psd file. I can have a look but rebuilding a badge takes a lot longer if you don't have the original file.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Which badge is his? I'd imagine if he made it he would have the psd file. I can have a look but rebuilding a badge takes a lot longer if you don't have the original file.

Just the 80s(?) robin badge from a few posts up, nothing anyone’s made themselves 

18 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

Personally I prefer the crest as too many teams are nicknamed the robins. I also like the fact that the gas do not have the Bristol crest so that only we are specifically identified with the city of Bristol.

Yes but the gas have had the Bristol coat of arms crest as their badge in the past....as have Glos CCC...

Archived