IGNORED

Why do all youngsters......

BS4 on Tour...

.......start every sentence with the word ‘So’ ?! I’m sure I shouldn’t let it get to me but it’s soooooo annoying! It’s taken over from when they started every sentence with ‘Yeh, no....’ - I thought I could relax when that had gone, but noooooo!

“What do you do for a living?”

”So, I’m a graphic designer working for an agency in Bath...”

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh!

Thanks, just needed to get that off my chest......

20 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.......start every sentence with the word ‘So’ ?! I’m sure I shouldn’t let it get to me but it’s soooooo annoying! It’s taken over from when they started every sentence with ‘Yeh, no....’ - I thought I could relax when that had gone, but noooooo!

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh!

It's not just youngsters, unfortunately!

Almost as annoying as arseholes who trumpet about "narratives" and "cohorts....FFS.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh!

The other one is......."Can I get?"   Many a time I've said to the enquirer......."No, but you can have.."

Gammon alarm is going mental :thumbsup:

People that say like after every other word though, really ******* grates that mind. I focus on it and try and count how many times they say like and then I'm lost in whatever meaningless incoherent babble they were spewing in the first place.

People add these extra words in to allow themselves time to speak, digest the question, form a sentence and speak instead of tapping it out on a keypad ( yes I realise I’m doing this now :laughcont:). They think it saves an awkward silence when they are asked something complicated, like what is your name and it just becomes a habit ast they think it makes them look smart. 

• Admin
16 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

The other one is......."Can I get?"   Many a time I've said to the enquirer......."No, but you can have.."

Where does that come from, it’s often well spoken, presumably educated people under 30 you hear using it...... and it bugs me.

15 hours ago, Slacker said:

Also starting a sentence with "I mean" seems very popular with the young people.Ending sentences with "for sure" also gets on my wick.

Sporting people (especially the Irish) often start with  LISTEN.  I just find it a bit rude. I asked the question ,do you think I'm not going to ?

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Where does that come from, it’s often well spoken, presumably educated people under 30 you hear using it...... and it bugs me.

I’m guilty of this (though sadly I’m not under 30!)

I think it’s an Americanism. I can’t remember when it crept into my vocabulary but I would think that 10 years ago or so I would have always said ‘can I have’. 

Is ‘can I get’ technically wrong though? The definition of get is to receive/obtain/posess so is it wrong? Or just different?

The insidious invasion of the Queen's English has been reported for many generations, perpetrated mainly by the young. However, today's (literally) world-wide communications are allowing all and sundry to hear and be influenced by others on a scale unprecedented in history. We all speak, we can all listen, all the time. Learned commentators expect that the world will eventually have just one language - the Internet. And that is largely American.

Yes, I agree that the various phrases and idioms now rife are annoying. My personal grind is 'snuck'; it is an American term that relies on a thin slice of irony - not something that is in abundance there. :facepalm: The past participle of sneak is sneaked! We can see how silly it is, but it has taken hold of the language like Knotweed and is affecting all levels: the BBC even had a reporter who used it without shame or humour. That shows how bad things are becoming. :nono:

However, for every irritating Americanism that infects our words, think about how many of our fine English terms are now doing the same in foreign climes. The French are still grumbling about 'Franglais'. :devil:

I could be mischievous here as I know that you're fond of challenging an assumption or generalisation @BS4 on Tour....  But, as the father of three "youngsters", I cannot recall them starting sentences in that manner.  Or sounding afro carribean.  One does mumble a lot though.

So, "all" youngsters?  I take issue with your assertion sir!

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

I could be mischievous here as I know that you're fond of challenging an assumption or generalisation @BS4 on Tour....  But, as the father of three "youngsters", I cannot recall them starting sentences in that manner.  Or sounding afro carribean.  One does mumble a lot though.

So, "all" youngsters?  I take issue with your assertion sir!

Maybe that particular affliction has yet to find it’s way to sleepy Caldicot, you can’t have had electricity long....... :)  

I

4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Maybe that particular affliction has yet to find it’s way to sleepy Caldicot, you can’t have had electricity long....... :)  

Mind you, I don't know the Welsh for "Sooooo", sooooo they could possibly be starting every sentence with it.....

3 hours ago, RedM said:

People add these extra words in to allow themselves time to speak, digest the question, form a sentence and speak instead of tapping it out on a keypad ( yes I realise I’m doing this now :laughcont:). They think it saves an awkward silence when they are asked something complicated, like what is your name and it just becomes a habit ast they think it makes them look smart. 

When a young and naive man many years ago, I worked with (under) a lovely old gentleman who smoked a pipe.

During our numerous fractious company meetings, whenever there arose a question that demanded his senior attention and response, he would place his pipe on the table, pack the tobacco and prepare his pipe studiously before responding, thus gaining both time and our attention.

It took me many years before I realised that he never actually smoked!

The one that annoys me is (usually older) people ending sentences with “yeah?”.

A middle aged bloke at work is notorious for it. He’s a lovely guy and doesn’t mean to be rude, but it makes him sound such an arsehole.

”We need to get this done.......yeah?”

5 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

We wind up my 14 year old daughter who starts many a sentence with...…….. Basically...

I'm sure we'll convert her to using just proper Bristolian :yes:

Basically my foster son does this, he basically starts lots of sentences with the word basically. :blink:

44 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Basically my foster son does this, he basically starts lots of sentences with the word basically. :blink:

Basically if it annoys you do it back at him. If (foster) parents use it then it won’t be so cool anymore and he will go onto something else, basically. ;)

Archived