IGNORED

Scouting

Redrascal2

I was running through the text on BBC this morning and noticed that Preston have signed a young centre half called Storey from Exeter. He made 17 appearances for the first team. Maybe he one of those for the future brigade. But is it me or do we still seem to miss out on players who play for clubs in the West/ South  West. When you would think we should hoovering them up. 

18 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

if we were watching these players why are we so slow in making a move Watkins to Brentford is an  example. we were ment to be watching him for months. it is poor when the club's are on your doorstep. 

Because we have plenty of players who are decent in our youth and under 23 teams, the likes of kelly vyner and Moore, would this player be better then them?

we need first team players at the moment 

35 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Because we have plenty of players who are decent in our youth and under 23 teams, the likes of kelly vyner and Moore, would this player be better then them?

we need first team players at the moment 

Last sentence is absolutely correct. The recruitment of young ones for the future is more difficult. 

We could hoover up too many and then the pathway to first team gets clogged. Recruit too few and we increase the odds on getting two or three per season to first team level. 

A delicate balancing act. Personally, having watched more under 23 last season than for many years I believe that we have a good quality U23 squad. Probably the best ever? 

7 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

He is a very good prospect and they have no doubt signed him as a replacement for Greg Cunningham. PNE of all teams have previous in turning lower league players into good championship ones and Jordan will no doubt be the latest one they work their magic on.

PNE are certainly more adept at taking a chance on these kind players. 

He won’t be a direct Cunningham replacement though. He’s a right-footed central defender. 

As @Davefevs said, City scouts have certainly seen this lad and were impressed. 

10 hours ago, Harry said:

He won’t be a direct Cunningham replacement though. He’s a right-footed central defender. 

I must admit I`ve not seen much of him live so am only going on the opinions of ECFC supporting mates who really rate him. He did play left of defence in the playoffs v Lincoln and stood out though hence me thinking he was left sided.

As you say, PNE seem to be able to mould these players into good championship ones so hopefully they will do the same with Jordan. Barkhuisen and the Irish lad that scored v us last season come to mind - they do get the odd one wrong (Lewis Moult) but so do every club occasionally.

My take on it is that PNE are prepared to give lower league youngsters decent game time and not ship them back to the stiffs if they don`t tear it up in the first two games - their fans seem a bit more patient than most too and appear to understand that players need game time to step up.

Sometimes you have to take a risk in the short term for a long term reward.

On 15/06/2018 at 10:11, Redrascal2 said:

I was running through the text on BBC this morning and noticed that Preston have signed a young centre half called Storey from Exeter. He made 17 appearances for the first team. Maybe he one of those for the future brigade. But is it me or do we still seem to miss out on players who play for clubs in the West/ South  West. When you would think we should hoovering them up. 

Paid 750k for him. Probably one for the future but will still be around the first team squad probably so the opportunity is there for him to step up if a vacancy comes up, so to speak. We don't have an U23s squad or team so the young players we have are never that far away from the first team.

15 hours ago, Harry said:

Yeah we're looking for a new LB to replace Cunningham and compete with Josh Earl reportedly.

Archived