IGNORED

Marley Watkins signed - Now Official (Merged threads)

Wayne

I hope he does well for us.

I'm seriously worried however about the "DNA" assessments of recent signings - Diony (depression) Kent (Attitude/lifestyle) Walsh (fighting x 2 at training) now Watkins. Throw in Tomlin and Fredericks as well.

The manager called him out in the press for a bad attitude, social media is stating that he frequently missed training, or refused to participate. He is 27 yrs old, and generally once the mental attitude is set, then its hard to change.

I hope sufficient checks were done on his attitude at Norwich.

Had a bad spell - fine, it happens, move on.

Have a bad spell because your attitude sucks - different scenario.

If he is also a 'wrong un' then serious questions need to be asked of our selection process.

For me - start with a clean slate and I wish him well

However if his attitude is poor if things go south - then questions need to be asked............

The last 3 signings were terrible. Hopefully this one is better.

4 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Most thought that Ryan Kent was the bees knees, and the best player on the pitch against us for Barnsley before we signed him on loan.

Lets wait and see shall we...……..

Wait and see ! Are you mad , this is the otib forum , full of opinionated people who think they know everything and everyone , let’s make ‘my’ opinion fact and give no one a chance .

From everyone else welcome Marley , good luck 

8 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Ok I haven’t read much of this thread . Fair play to the op for getting it spot on mind :gasmask: :laughcont: what type of player is he . I honestly know nothing about him 

I saw it was confirmed then started reading the thread

Just made me laugh because I also get suspicious of these new itk posters :gasmask:

Fair play to him, I think he’s a good signing also 

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

How do you know that he's no better than we already have? Seen him play several times have you?  Jeez..............:disapointed2se:

When possible LJ likes to sign players he's worked with before as he knows what skills they'll bring,  what type of person they are and how they'll settle in with the squad. 

Its sensible management to know what you're getting and far less risky  than brining in a completely new player who you know nothing about what baggage they might or might not have. 

There's is only one snag with that - prior to coming here the Head Coach worked in the league below, and as we have all witnessed, there is a chasm between the two.

This hardly looks like a signing that is going to significantly improve us.

As for 'baggage' that is part and parcel of ,

1. They recruitments teams role

2. Information from contacts in the game

Football is a very small industry, everyone knows someone who knows the player you may wish to recruit. 

In the main players with 'baggage' are recruited because a club feels they are worth the risk, or the HC or manager feels he can 'help' them - highly unusual for the buying club not to know exactly what they are getting.

Haven't seen enough of the lad to form an opinion.

However, last season we struggled with squad depth, especially once injuries hit. So this signing makes sense from that perspective to me - a player who has played in this league and whom our manager knows already. Hopefully he's an addition to the squad, and if he kicks in then great. 

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep. A bit of a grafter who has worked his way up the leagues. LJ also worked with him before so at least we know he will contribute unlike some other signings. People bang on about players from England and championship. Well here you go and guess what? Still moaning. Poor at Norwich and good at Barnsley. Sounds like any player. Had a bad spell at a club it happens

Yup, a lot of positives. He knows the manager, has previously lived in the area and has Championship experience. Also no language barriers, has no high price tag expectation and sounds keen to impress.

Now compare that to one of our last experiences, say Diony for example who only ticked one of the points I mentioned at best.

I’m happy with Marley signing as long as he’s not our marquee signing and there are more exciting players to come.  Feels like an ok squad player but not someone to move us forward.  Played his best football in the league below and hasn’t really shown yet that he can make the step up consistently but no doubt is seen as someone easy to manage and will buy into the LJ way of doing things with little fuss.  If we lose the 3 or 4 better first team players we expect this summer and replace with the the quality of Watkins it will be a long season.  Nice to get the first transfer onboard but fingers crossed there’s much more to come.

I'll reserve judgment until he starts playing. Yes he hasn't set the game alight at Norwich but that doesn't mean he'll fail here - players who have left us have gone on to do well elsewhere so why can't that happen in reverse?

For me, the players around you make a difference and we've been crying out to improve the wings so hopefully this will be an improvement in this area.

3 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I'll reserve judgment until he starts playing. Yes he hasn't set the game alight at Norwich but that doesn't mean he'll fail here - players who have left us have gone on to do well elsewhere so why can't that happen in reverse?

For me, the players around you make a difference and we've been crying out to improve the wings so hopefully this will be an improvement in this area.

Unfortunately the wings have had a lot of money spent on them so what the excuse 

I think the key here is that he seems to be a hard working, high pressing, team player. Exactly the type we need to play our preferred style. 

He’s not a star man type player, but he could improve us as a team. 

For £1million it seems a decent signing. 

1 minute ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Unfortunately the wings have had a lot of money spent on them so what the excuse 

True - I'm hoping it's about finding the right player (and of course LJ amending the tactics) oh, and at least we won't need to play Brownhill on the right wing anymore!

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Graham, he is not better than what we already have. He is a lazy signing in that we've only signed him because LJ knows him. If this is how our recruitment system works we are fuxjed.

I think “obvious” rather than lazy.

I also think that we need a wide right player, as neither Brownhill, who should be more central or Paterson, who is a 10, are best suited there. Eliasson is left footed, so playing him there for 90 minutes is silly.

I’d have loved Albert but realistically we don’t pay those sort of wages.

I accept his career so far is pretty patchy, time in Scotland tells us little so his Barnsley form (split between this division & the one below) is his real only good spell..

However as someone who has been irritated by the huge number of “ones for the future” signed, few if any of whom seem to feature, at 27 he certainly isn’t that.

I can see him being a player who never sets the game alight but works for the team, unspectacular but useful.

I’ll give him a chance before writing him off.

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

True - I'm hoping it's about finding the right player (and of course LJ amending the tactics) oh, and at least we won't need to play Brownhill on the right wing anymore!

:laugh: again DNA, analysis system etc etc

any other work place & this would be a sacking 

8 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep. A bit of a grafter who has worked his way up the leagues. LJ also worked with him before so at least we know he will contribute unlike some other signings. People bang on about players from England and championship. Well here you go and guess what? Still moaning. Poor at Norwich and good at Barnsley. Sounds like any player. Had a bad spell at a club it happens

Hardly played at Norwich due to pre season injury, other players stepped up in an average Norwich side and picked up a few niggling injuries along the way so never really had a fair crack of the whip 

Had a much better season at Barnsley and suited their style of play which begs the question will he fit in with our style and LJs ethics

Time will tell but I’m not going to pre judge him and wish him well and hope he’s successful here

Jesz... those Norwich fans ‘references’ make depressing reading. Sometimes you can put aside comments on the basis of fans being pissed off with someone because the player’s quality and going to a rival/previously claimed undying loyalty to their Club/paid massive money and not quite met expectations et al..but they got this chap for free and he’s only been with them a year! When the manager chips in with attitude criticisms it gets more than worrying - ffs as a matter of principle you don’t down tools on any job...particularly one you get eye watering amounts of pay. If you’ve no pride in yourself/ if you don’t give 110% then you can do one as far as I’m concerned and that seems to be what Norwich has told him to do.

Think this could be a make or break close season for the likes of LJ/MA and our scouting team. Last 3 signings have been woeful ... this has all the hallmarks of another Diony-like punt. 

Wonder if Colin is really taking the piss now... ah Bristol,City are interested in a player let’s put a bid in and make them pay £1.5 million for a player that hasn’t commanded any fee previously and make them look like total idiots stumping up big cash. May be Tomlin pay back time for our mate across the water.

Archived