IGNORED

Marley Watkins signed - Now Official (Merged threads)

Wayne

7 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

i think that a lot of the problem, a few these guys have been trained & are at a higher level then he is

Can't believe I'm going to defend LJ but .......

It can work, and doesn't necessarily stop a coach from being successful. Wenger did ok , Andre Villas-Boas, Arrigo Sacchi, Carlos Alberto Parreira there are a few. I'm not putting LJ in their class , but as we are stuck with him for the time being , I'll wait to see what he does in this window and then criticise . 
It's more tactics, organisation etc , yes players can be improved but that can be done with other coaches and knowledge. The one thing I did like about Johnson when he joined was he was keen to learn. This season will tell if he has and if he can learn again from the horrendous runs of the last two years.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Can't believe I'm going to defend LJ but .......

It can work, and doesn't necessarily stop a coach from being successful. Wenger did ok , Andre Villas-Boas, Arrigo Sacchi, Carlos Alberto Parreira there are a few. I'm not putting LJ in their class , but as we are stuck with him for the time being , I'll wait to see what he does in this window and then criticise . 
It's more tactics, organisation etc , yes players can be improved but that can be done with other coaches and knowledge. The one thing I did like about Johnson when he joined was he was keen to learn. This season will tell if he has and if he can learn again from the horrendous runs of the last two years.

There be no more players to buy if he has another season here

Just listened to his interview and reviewed the pics. 

1. Who is that hopeless interviewee who calls us Bristol? What a pilchard. Another masterclass in recruitment by Bristol Sport. NOT.

2. What is the corporate identity thought process behind a player bearing the unchanged 1990's Robin crest and standing in front of the current BCFC Bristol coat of arms? 

Very amateurish all round but sadly wholly expected. Adam Baker would never have allowed either to happen. What a shambles.

But on the bright side Watkins could be a cracking signing. Lets not judge yet chaps.

Watkins will add a nasty streak to our team that’s for sure. Big strong works hard, versitle & can be a goal threat. This is from numerous players who have played with him at Bath, Hereford & Inverness. 

Watching him myself many times over the years I think he will surprise a few, he has a point to prove at this time. Was hoping COD would nail down the problem right side but MW can play in the hole & probably left wing so gives us more attaching options. For 1 mill at 27 with Champ experience this could turn out a bargain. 

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not sure how you are thinking mate.

What has Famara and Duric got to do with anything?

When have you seen us playing with wingers whipping in crosses when they have played for us?

We never have.

last time a winger made a cross at BCFC ( that I can just about remember) was Marco Van Gavin

50 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Lee may have him in mind for a different role. Tbh a bit confused - Sky and BBC say hes a forward and wiki say hes a midfielder. The lad is 6ft 1inch so may be a forward. 

In the modern game the line between terms like forward and midfielder is often blurred. Players are often something of a hybrid and systems less rigid than was the case decades ago.

I would find it hard for instance to describe the likes of Lingard and Alli in terms of old school positions.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

I know-im about to be told a million quid is nothing in football terms....

But....Norwich will be pissing themselves making a mil on this bloke.

Like the Swindon fans were pissing themselves that they’d had our pants down at £300k for Flint?

46 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

It called Plan B, C or even D.

where was the high press game end of the season?

If you got a packed Midfield like Ipswich did then you hit flanks & ram the defence.

this is Championship Football not La Liga 

Football has changed, even in the Championship, however much some fans crave the sight of a team pumping hopeful high crosses towards a big bloke.

Should have taken Carroll and Crouch to the World Cup though. :whistle:

1 hour ago, spudski said:

When have you seen us playing with wingers whipping in crosses when they have played for us?

We never have.

In my favourite time of following our club we had Howard Pritchard, Alan Crawford and Alan Walsh who did just that and then a while later we had Dave Smith and Mark Gavin providing ammo from the wings....I don’t agree that we have ‘never’ had wingers...

1 hour ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

“Weaknesses... Finishing, crossing and defensive contribution. hopefully he can improve on those.

so basically he not a winger & no good at being a team player?

those weaknesses are alarming 

You took the very words out of my mouth!

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Football has changed, even in the Championship, however much some fans crave the sight of a team pumping hopeful high crosses towards a big bloke.

Should have taken Carroll and Crouch to the World Cup though. :whistle:

Ah... the much maligned Peter Crouch by ‘football purists’. 

What is it 22 goals in 44 England appearances ... not to shabby eh?

Even at 104 or whatever age he is now I’d still have taken him. 

Back to City, it ain’t a hopeful high ball, it’s a pin point cross to someone like Duric who’ll nail it ala the Ipswich game. Sure beats slow-mo negative back-side-back possession football against mass ranks of defenders and then punting it up to a 4’ 1’’ forward cause you’ve no ideas or talent to break through 10 opposition players. 

2 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Jesz... those Norwich fans ‘references’ make depressing reading. Sometimes you can put aside comments on the basis of fans being pissed off with someone because the player’s quality and going to a rival/previously claimed undying loyalty to their Club/paid massive money and not quite met expectations et al..but they got this chap for free and he’s only been with them a year! When the manager chips in with attitude criticisms it gets more than worrying - ffs as a matter of principle you don’t down tools on any job...particularly one you get eye watering amounts of pay. If you’ve no pride in yourself/ if you don’t give 110% then you can do one as far as I’m concerned and that seems to be what Norwich has told him to do.

Think this could be a make or break close season for the likes of LJ/MA and our scouting team. Last 3 signings have been woeful ... this has all the hallmarks of another Diony-like punt. 

Wonder if Colin is really taking the piss now... ah Bristol,City are interested in a player let’s put a bid in and make them pay £1.5 million for a player that hasn’t commanded any fee previously and make them look like total idiots stumping up big cash. May be Tomlin pay back time for our mate across the water.

Quite an overreaction. Imagine if Diony or Kent was rumoured to be joining somewhere, our fans would give them bad reviews when they could end up doing well in the end.

A bad season or a bad few months doesn’t make someone a bad player. 

It’s not a ‘punt’ either because Johnson knows the player well, I’d say it’s a pretty safe gamble really.

1 minute ago, Moor2Sea said:

Ah... the much maligned Peter Crouch by ‘football purists’. 

What is it 22 goals in 44 England appearances ... not to shabby eh?

Even at 104 or whatever age he is now I’d still have taken him. 

Back to City, it ain’t a hopeful high ball, it’s a pin point cross to someone like Duric who’ll nail it ala the Ipswich game. Sure beats slow-mo negative back-side-back possession football against mass ranks of defenders and then punting it up to a 4’ 1’’ forward cause you’ve no ideas or talent to break through 10 opposition players. 

Actually I admire Crouch, a better footballer than he is given credit for. Unfortunately because he is tall he tended to have high balls pumped towards him from all angles.

If we stuck Djuric up front it's odds on the same would happen. The majority of defenders would I'm sure prefer that to having quick, mobile players confronting them.

Djuric is a good option but not one to build a style of play around imo.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Since when have we played with a 'traditional' winger who crosses? Not for a while...it's not how we play.

Our strength last season, was when we played short crisp passes to feet, breaking quickly through the opposition lines. That's his strengths.

Think Brownhill, Odowda, Patto...he's that type of player.

Watch his YouTube clips at Barnsley and we see what type of player he is and what he is capable of

some right belters on this forum who haven’t a clue and write players off before they have even played a game for us.

Just now, INCRED said:

Watch his YouTube clips at Barnsley and we see what type of player he is and what he is capable of

some right belters on this forum who haven’t a clue and write players off before they have even played a game for us.

Not directed at you Spudski just backing up your comment

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think “obvious” rather than lazy.

I also think that we need a wide right player, as neither Brownhill, who should be more central or Paterson, who is a 10, are best suited there. Eliasson is left footed, so playing him there for 90 minutes is silly.

I’d have loved Albert but realistically we don’t pay those sort of wages.

I accept his career so far is pretty patchy, time in Scotland tells us little so his Barnsley form (split between this division & the one below) is his real only good spell..

However as someone who has been irritated by the huge number of “ones for the future” signed, few if any of whom seem to feature, at 27 he certainly isn’t that.

I can see him being a player who never sets the game alight but works for the team, unspectacular but useful.

I’ll give him a chance before writing him off.

We shall see. It seems to me though that the "rivers and ponds" we are fishing in under MA's recruitment strategy are getting smaller and smaller. 

41 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In my favourite time of following our club we had Howard Pritchard, Alan Crawford and Alan Walsh who did just that and then a while later we had Dave Smith and Mark Gavin providing ammo from the wings....I don’t agree that we have ‘never’ had wingers...

I meant to add 'under LJ'...in fact we have been a club that has played wingers for many years, under different managers. ;-) Often to our detriment. remember the season with Albert, where everything went through him...complete disaster.

It's obvious that a few on here have failed to see how we prefer to play...and that the changes in the second half of the season, were mainly down to injuries, players out of form, carrying knocks, coming back from injury etc. We went with what we had fit at the time. Plus gambled on loan players.

If we have any crosses into the box, like a 'traditional' winger they often come from the overlapping RB and LB working in unison with our wide midfielders.

We don't play traditional wingers...the only one we have imo, is Elliason. Atm.

@INCRED I agree fella...you have to wonder if some fans actually watch how we try to play, what we prefer, and how we had to adapt when injuries hit.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I meant to add 'under LJ'...in fact we have been a club that has played wingers for many years, under different managers. ;-) Often to our detriment. remember the season with Albert, where everything went through him...complete disaster.

It's obvious that a few on here have failed to see how we prefer to play...and that the changes in the second half of the season, were mainly down to injuries, players out of form, carrying knocks, coming back from injury etc. We went with what we had fit at the time. Plus gambled on loan players.

If we have any crosses into the box, like a 'traditional' winger they often come from the overlapping RB and LB working in unison with our wide midfielders.

@INCRED I agree fella...you have to wonder if some fans actually watch how we try to play, what we prefer, and how we had to adapt when injuries hit.

Absolutely.  Can we please all accept what we are trying to do, on and off the field, and show just a little positivity and optimism?  This forum makes a depressing read at the best of times, but hey, summer's here and the time is right for a bit of positive thinking (as well as dancing in the street).  Am I the only one looking forward to next season already?

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm not sure how you are thinking mate.

What has Famara and Duric got to do with anything?

We never have.

Skirton, Sharpe, Whitehea.... Ooh, you little tinker Spud.

...you almost had me there, this is a whoosh in it..  :nono:

PS (oh,... just noticed your 'under LJ' omission .., ok then, as you were.. :) )

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Absolutely.  Can we please all accept what we are trying to do, on and off the field, and show just a little positivity and optimism?  This forum makes a depressing read at the best of times, but hey, summer's here and the time is right for a bit of positive thinking (as well as dancing in the street).  Am I the only one looking forward to next season already?

It’s certainly depressing how many of our fans are prepared to accept the views of a handful of anonymous Norwich fans as if it was gospel.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

So your original comment ... one of his weaknesses is crossing - does that not greatly concern you? From your comments, he’s limited defensively and appears not to be a finisher (1 goal from 27 appearances last season). 

So where does he exactly fit into LJs system? I assume in the middle doing little short passes, cutting in and narrowing the pitch allowing the opposition time to build their massed ranked defensive walls ala LJ in his prime. Haven’t we already got loads of these players? Didn’t Kent more than amply demonstrate that this is a hopeless tactic? 

I think it’s the Adomah like players of this world we need - who seem to be much loved by their current and ex Clubs (managers and fans) for some  reason.

Anyhow, let’s be optimistic and hope our brilliant scouting system haven’t ended up squandering another couple of million. If they have I fear for LJ. 

MW wouldn’t have been my choice (as I said so earlier) but it doesnt matter. There are plenty of players over the years that I wouldn’t have bought that turned out to be gems, and others that I was chuffed that we got only to be disappointed. The fact is he is here now and will get my full support in (hopefully) proving me wrong and making a real impact at City. COYR! 

1 hour ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Yes as LJ lets us know before every game 

Excuses and criticisms are both before and after the game as regular as clockwork since late December. How many games did Maggs feature in since that now infamous public flogging of the lad?

Perhaps these are a trademark 'for the future remarks' exercise made public now and like players for the future can be revisited when the comments are older, stronger and wiser. 

Maybe like the 'new' Robin logo released now but one for the future. 

Archived