IGNORED

Marley Watkins signed - Now Official (Merged threads)

Wayne

8 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Don’t forget Category D

D) Posters who genuinely have no idea what are the attributes of the player we’ve signed, what position he will play and how he will improve us.

(and mostly think our recruitment system is shit as compared to our direct competitors - the likes of Preston and Brentford)

They post under A and B

1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

Im optimistic as always, this is our fourth season in this leauge. Every season we have progressed in the table. Last season we were 11, ok but dissapointing when we was doing so well first half of the season. Injuries and January window was not good. Think its looks ok even if Reid and Bryan leaves. Taylor, Odowda, Famara and Pisano are fit. Probably we will replace Reid with a good forward. Eliasson hopefully will be in the starting eleven. Norwich guy, we will see. Kelly, Vyner and other young players we also have. Thank god we are not in the Villa situation, they have to sell 50 mil in two windows to keep the Club running. Our situation is a walk in the park compare to Villas. So all and all I think it looks ok. We are now established in this leauge and thats is in the plans. Think the goal this season is top six. We are learning and we move forward, thats the mainthing. COYR!!!

Can you mention all this to Tommy please?

If we had signed him last summer, most would have been reasonably happy I expect. 

Heckingbottom and Barnsley were gutted to lose him, and several others were disappointed to miss out on signing him. Sometimes things just don’t work out. 

Looking forward to seeing him in a City shirt. 

He’s played well in the championship before, he said Norwich didn’t sit his style of play and you can see why. They played very much through the middle and didn’t use the wingers at all. 

We have some balance now and we’ve got O’Dowda one side and Watkins the other. Pato can play behind Diedhou or Reid. I’m happy with that end of the pitch. 

Desperately need a RB, CDM (who’s good in the air and is strong to compliment what we already have) and GK. That is based on no one leaving

1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

Im optimistic as always, this is our fourth season in this leauge. Every season we have progressed in the table. Last season we were 11, ok but dissapointing when we was doing so well first half of the season. Injuries and January window was not good. Think its looks ok even if Reid and Bryan leaves. Taylor, Odowda, Famara and Pisano are fit. Probably we will replace Reid with a good forward. Eliasson hopefully will be in the starting eleven. Norwich guy, we will see. Kelly, Vyner and other young players we also have. Thank god we are not in the Villa situation, they have to sell 50 mil in two windows to keep the Club running. Our situation is a walk in the park compare to Villas. So all and all I think it looks ok. We are now established in this leauge and thats is in the plans. Think the goal this season is top six. We are learning and we move forward, thats the mainthing. COYR!!!

I agree with most points you made but when we believe that we're established in this league, that equals complacency to me. 

Dangerous to think that! 

6 minutes ago, Kibs said:

If we had signed him last summer, most would have been reasonably happy I expect. 
Heckingbottom and Barnsley were gutted to lose him, and several others were disappointed to miss out on signing him. Sometimes things just don’t work out. 
Looking forward to seeing him in a City shirt. 

Got to look at it this way, he's here now no point in moaning too much and he may turn out to be a good team signing.
As I said before , my Norwich mate was glad to get rid but also said it could be wrong place wrong time there. Could be a better fit here, specially as he did well wide before he moved there and then Norwich didn't play the same system.
It should free up Brownhill to move more central, where I think he will be more effective. This also gives us scope to rotate more in CM, like we were doing earlier last year before the injuries struck. Hard working winger / RMF with COD doing the same the other side , does sound like better balance than last year when we used Pato wide (drifted too much) or Josh (wasted there imo) or wingers that didn't track back.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I agree with most points you made but when we believe that we're established in this league, that equals complacency to me. 

Dangerous to think that! 

I think what is established is that we have good runs and terrible runs.

If we start the season badly we're obviously in big trouble, there's no guarantee what would be an essential complete turnaround would follow to make up for it.

Many of the established Championship standard players we do have  - our best, most consistent players and those which give us some confidence we may be becoming established as a club at this level  - look like they won't be with us in August.

Next season is therefore completely unpredictable and any success is dependent on the immediate effectiveness of replacements and the new team gelling very quickly.

That's a lot to ask for and the moment it's hard not to be pessimistic.

11 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Story so far.

New player signs.

Thread gets swamped by

A) People writing off the new signing before a ball is kicked

B) People with an OTT dislike of LJ attempting to discredit everything they can

With a little of 

C) Posters actually providing some common sense in response to the muppets that occupy the criteria of A and B.

Story so far.

Poster signs up to a discussion forum and complains that it's users have many different opinions on various subjects.

He might turn out to be the best signing ever, but I have the right to express how completely underwhelmed I am if this is the type of player we are seeking out in our quest to become a Premier League team.

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Got to look at it this way, he's here now no point in moaning too much and he may turn out to be a good team signing.
As I said before , my Norwich mate was glad to get rid but also said it could be wrong place wrong time there. Could be a better fit here, specially as he did well wide before he moved there and then Norwich didn't play the same system.
It should free up Brownhill to move more central, where I think he will be more effective. This also gives us scope to rotate more in CM, like we were doing earlier last year before the injuries struck. Hard working winger / RMF with COD doing the same the other side , does sound like better balance than last year when we used Pato wide (drifted too much) or Josh (wasted there imo) or wingers that didn't track back.

Brownhill & O’Dowda will be the driving force in the team next season. Physically and technically both have all the attributes to thrive in this league and will be the two players who will move on in the next 12 - 18 months for big money.

We will soon forget about Bobby, JB and AF if they leave in the next few months. Step up the next cycle of talent!

with a few more additions we will continue to compete at the upper end of the table and flirt with the play offs 

7 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Brownhill & O’Dowda will be the driving force in the team next season. Physically and technically both have all the attributes to thrive in this league and will be the two players who will move on in the next 12 - 18 months for big money.

We will soon forget about Bobby, JB and AF if they leave in the next few months. Step up the next cycle of talent!

with a few more additions we will continue to compete at the upper end of the table and flirt with the play offs 

Phew, that's a relief.

43 minutes ago, screech said:

Story so far.

Poster signs up to a discussion forum and complains that it's users have many different opinions on various subjects.

He might turn out to be the best signing ever, but I have the right to express how completely underwhelmed I am if this is the type of player we are seeking out in our quest to become a Premier League team.

Not complained about anyone having a different opinion.

There is a massive difference between being underwhelmed by a signing, and writing a player off as shit before he plays even a friendly for us.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

On this forum people always seem to use Warnock as an example of great management and recruitment. Well he bidded 2 million for Watkins last January which was rejected. Definitely a very good player if used correctly. Watkins said himself that Norwich didn't play to the way that suits his game. Barnsley obviously did play him to his strengths and he was quality. The player has the ability, now down to Johnson to use him in the right way. 

And the last sentence is the only fly in the ointment !

:yes:

26 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

On this forum people always seem to use Warnock as an example of great management and recruitment. Well he bidded 2 million for Watkins last January which was rejected. Definitely a very good player if used correctly. Watkins said himself that Norwich didn't play to the way that suits his game. Barnsley obviously did play him to his strengths and he was quality. The player has the ability, now down to Johnson to use him in the right way. 

That’s the part I have little faith in

32 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not complained about anyone having a different opinion.

There is a massive difference between being underwhelmed by a signing, and writing a player off as shit before he plays even a friendly for us.

I think it was a ‘positive’ and ‘knowledgable’ poster who said his crossing, shooting and defensive abilities were his weaknesses. That doesn’t sound too promising for a winger. 

As neither the player himself in his interview or the Club gave much of an indication as to attributes and role, and mindful of the Norwich manager, fans comments the alarm bells ring about our recruitment system yet again. 

We already have a winger, bought for a couple of million, who according to our manager is good at 7-a-side football but not ready, after a year’s coaching with us, to play 11 a-side apparently. 

I really do hope Watkins turns into a world beater. I genuinely hope he will. As I’ve not seen him play, a preliminary assessment on the merits of the signing can only be based on people who have - including his last manager who, no doubt, has far greater football knowledge than anyone on this Forum.

I, and others, have expressed concerns about our recruitment process. Assume that what a forum is about.

Clearly none of us have seen Watkins play for us. May be those not wishing to read others concerns should just wait a year, or two, or three, after we have signed players and just wait for LJs verdict. 

I've not got a view on Marley Watkins as I don't remember seeing him play. One thing  that is puzzling me though is that Wiki (so it must be true!!) says Norwich got him on a free. We have now paid a million for him a year later?

"On 1 June 2017, Watkins signed for Championship club Norwich City on a free transfer. He joined the club on 1 July."

Why was he a free transfer a year ago? Did he run his contract down as Barnsley?

14 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

I've not got a view on Marley Watkins as I don't remember seeing him play. One thing  that is puzzling me though is that Wiki (so it must be true!!) says Norwich got him on a free. We have now paid a million for him a year later?

"On 1 June 2017, Watkins signed for Championship club Norwich City on a free transfer. He joined the club on 1 July."

Why was he a free transfer a year ago? Did he run his contract down as Barnsley?

Can only assume he has always let his contract run out, as according to a couple of sources it's the first time he's gone for a fee. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 11.00.58.png

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Dangerous to think that! 

Mean that our aim when we got promoted was to be established in championship. Now that we are, pl is the next step. Many good teams and it will be difficault but dont think its impossible. Bournemouth, Brighton, Hudds and so on.

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Can only assume he has always let his contract run out, as according to a couple of sources it's the first time he's gone for a fee. 

Thanks - interesting. Reading through the thread I picked up that he was well liked at Barnsley and Heckingbottom didn't want him to leave. I wonder why he ran his Barnsley contract down / didn't get (or accept) a new one? I guess he thought Norwich were more likely to remain in the Championsip than Barnsley (which proved to be the right call).

1 hour ago, Red Grovesy said:

48 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not unsurprising to leave at the end of a contract at lower league levels.  Nor to run down your ICT contract if Barnsley are sniffing.  Ditto at Barnsley if Norwich were sniffing.

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

I think it was a ‘positive’ and ‘knowledgable’ poster who said his crossing, shooting and defensive abilities were his weaknesses. That doesn’t sound too promising for a winger. 

As neither the player himself in his interview or the Club gave much of an indication as to attributes and role, and mindful of the Norwich manager, fans comments the alarm bells ring about our recruitment system yet again. 

We already have a winger, bought for a couple of million, who according to our manager is good at 7-a-side football but not ready, after a year’s coaching with us, to play 11 a-side apparently. 

I really do hope Watkins turns into a world beater. I genuinely hope he will. As I’ve not seen him play, a preliminary assessment on the merits of the signing can only be based on people who have - including his last manager who, no doubt, has far greater football knowledge than anyone on this Forum.

I, and others, have expressed concerns about our recruitment process. Assume that what a forum is about.

Clearly none of us have seen Watkins play for us. May be those not wishing to read others concerns should just wait a year, or two, or three, after we have signed players and just wait for LJs verdict. 

Right, and every player who has ever done well for us has always  had glowing reviews from fans of his previous club haven't they?

Again, nothing wrong with expressing a concern, but posts such as "we've just wasted another million on another crap player" are what I was pointing out.

I have found the signing underwhelming, but I'm not going to say it is a bad, or even good, signing until he's actually played a game for us.

Aaron Wilbraham was an underwhelming signing and David James the opposite, look at how their time here went.

51 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Right, and every player who has ever done well for us has always  had glowing reviews from fans of his previous club haven't they?

Again, nothing wrong with expressing a concern, but posts such as "we've just wasted another million on another crap player" are what I was pointing out.

I have found the signing underwhelming, but I'm not going to say it is a bad, or even good, signing until he's actually played a game for us.

Aaron Wilbraham was an underwhelming signing and David James the opposite, look at how their time here went.

Nope. Usually, get some glowing reviews and others who for a variety of reasons - often not football ability related - will slag players off. That’s the nature of football forum and player ins/outs.

Maybe LJs will find his magic wand and he’ll be absolute bargain - more of a Wilbs than a Hunt. But in seems a definite punt with this one. If the likes of Bobby, Joe and Flinty depart we’re reaching the stage of one ‘high risk’ punt too many for me - particularly given our recent punting history. As you say, we’re have to wait and see if he gets on the pitch and if so, how good he is.

A few ‘low risk’ punts now please Club - some leaders and Championship form ready-to-go players please.

Onwards and upwards.

43 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Nope. Usually, get some glowing reviews and others who for a variety of reasons - often not football ability related - will slag players off. That’s the nature of football forum and player ins/outs.

Maybe LJs will find his magic wand and he’ll be absolute bargain - more of a Wilbs than a Hunt. But in seems a definite punt with this one. If the likes of Bobby, Joe and Flinty depart we’re reaching the stage of one ‘high risk’ punt too many for me - particularly given our recent punting history. As you say, we’re have to wait and see if he gets on the pitch and if so, how good he is.

A few ‘low risk’ punts now please Club - some leaders and Championship form ready-to-go players please.

Onwards and upwards.

I think you're on the right track. My take on this signing is this. 

Three years ago we had a first team under Cotterill and not much else. An Academy that was producing very few for first team. 

Clearly when LJ arrived we had to bulk up the first team squad with those who could cope at Championship levels. Pisano, Patterson, Hegeler, Djuric, Baker, Wright and Diedhiou come under that heading. 

We recruited well, IMO, for under 23's as ones for the future. Brownhill, O'Dowda, Eliasson and Engvall on the fringes of the first eleven. And the younger again. Moore, Bakinson, Hinds, Baldwin, Holden, Jonny Smith to name a few. 

Last season went wrong for lots of reasons. But mostly, ignoring any other supposed scenarios, because almost all of the experienced additions mentioned above, we're all injured for long periods. The senior young ones like Brownhills and Callum, until he also got injured, were able to cope. 

The rest are too green at this time. 

So to Marley Watkins. If he and three other experienced Championship players had arrived in January, to allow some rest for the starting eleven who were by this time, we'll and truly knackered, we might even have made the play offs. 

So, while his signing doesn't excite me, I see the reason for recruiting him at minimal cost. And, yes, £1million is minimal today. I expect a few more like him. 

PS. I think Engvall was a good quality recruit but admit it didn't work out as he probably got too homesick. 

On 17/06/2018 at 14:39, cidered abroad said:

I think you're on the right track. My take on this signing is this. 

Three years ago we had a first team under Cotterill and not much else. An Academy that was producing very few for first team. 

Clearly when LJ arrived we had to bulk up the first team squad with those who could cope at Championship levels. Pisano, Patterson, Hegeler, Djuric, Baker, Wright and Diedhiou come under that heading. 

We recruited well, IMO, for under 23's as ones for the future. Brownhill, O'Dowda, Eliasson and Engvall on the fringes of the first eleven. And the younger again. Moore, Bakinson, Hinds, Baldwin, Holden, Jonny Smith to name a few. 

Last season went wrong for lots of reasons. But mostly, ignoring any other supposed scenarios, because almost all of the experienced additions mentioned above, we're all injured for long periods. The senior young ones like Brownhills and Callum, until he also got injured, were able to cope. 

The rest are too green at this time. 

So to Marley Watkins. If he and three other experienced Championship players had arrived in January, to allow some rest for the starting eleven who were by this time, we'll and truly knackered, we might even have made the play offs. 

So, while his signing doesn't excite me, I see the reason for recruiting him at minimal cost. And, yes, £1million is minimal today. I expect a few more like him. 

PS. I think Engvall was a good quality recruit but admit it didn't work out as he probably got too homesick. 

I believe ' home sickness ' can ( and bloody well should have been for a 2 million pound player ) be managed.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe ' home sickness ' can ( and bloody well should have been for a 2 million pound player ) be managed.

I'm not sure what the connection is between the fee you pay for a player and his state of mind. It's rather like saying that wealthy footballers should not suffer from mental illness, as if it's a choice.

Do you assume no attempt was made to manage it though?

It appears that the lad couldn't cope with moving to a new country. I'm not going to criticise him for that, it could happen to anybody, but ultimately he wanted to go home and the choice is his.

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm not sure what the connection is between the fee you pay for a player and his state of mind. It's rather like saying that wealthy footballers should not suffer from mental illness, as if it's a choice.

Do you assume no attempt was made to manage it though?

It appears that the lad couldn't cope with moving to a new country. I'm not going to criticise him for that, it could happen to anybody, but ultimately he wanted to go home and the choice is his.

I find it frankly incredible that

a) the club didn't get the lad settled in .

It is a lot of money wasted and as a club we can't go around throwing money around .If Garita had been homesick , it's not the same sum written off . I sometimes think the club behave like we are Man Utd .

You protect your investment but it seems like a million , two million is nothing to BCFC these days . 

and

b) that the player himself didn't have the mental strength to make the most of his opportunity.

If , home sickness was the only problem then it stinks of weakness from both the club and the player .

Many soldiers get homesick , do they get transferred back home to Mummy ? 

They have no choice so they knuckle down and get over it . They grow as individuals because of it .

Poor show all round .

As a footnote now his loan club are reported as saying that they don't want him on a permanent transfer as he has not made an impression.

Where does that leave him and the club ?

Archived