IGNORED

Does Jamie Paterson have Bobby Reid's DNA?

Prinny

Alas it's not the hook to some new crime drama starring the roster at BS3 but a possible scenario where the forum goes mental and we end up fine.

We sign Watkins, the forum goes mild. We sell Bobby Reid, the forum gets angry. We don't sign a striker in the summer and the forum boils over, exactly like last year. And then we put Bobby Reid up front. The fourth or fifth central midfielder? The lightweight non contributing guy who we were all willing to cut? LJ didn't think so and pulled off a master stroke. Well if he was so confident it would work he had signed Reid to an extension it would have been!

So, with the addition of Watkins it frees us Paterson who LJ clearly doesn't trust in a 4 as a winger. We might not sign that like for like replacement. The forum as a whole will go crazy over this and then we name our first few friendly team sheets with a "midfielder" up front.

Then Paterson who has similar attributes to Reid, scores perhaps 15+ in a striking role next season and we're fine.

If that's the scenario that plays out how crazy will you go? (Where's the money Lansdown!!?!!) Then how many goals will Paterson need to get in a striking position to make you eat your words... just like this time last year?

I did wonder out loud the other day whether Paterson might fill the "No 10" role if we did sell Bobby Reid.  I'm not sure whether he'd have the same level of success though as he only seemed to turn up for half the season last term.

If Reid goes (looking likely), with the signing of Watkins I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up going for 1 up top (Famara/Djuric) and then having two playing off of them e.g. Watkins and Paterson.

Could then go with 3 midfielders sitting a bit deeper whilst still being able to advance up the field.

Not saying it would work, but the second part of the season has shown that something needs to change.

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

If Reid goes (looking likely), with the signing of Watkins I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up going for 1 up top (Famara/Djuric) and then having two playing off of them e.g. Watkins and Paterson.

Could then go with 3 midfielders sitting a bit deeper whilst still being able to advance up the field.

Not saying it would work, but the second part of the season has shown that something needs to change.

I agree with this, I would very much like to see a midfield 3 of Pack holding, with Smith and Brownhill either side. Then you have O'Dowda, Paterson, Watkins (possibly Reid) who could all support Fammy or Djuric.

I think. Patterson desperately needs a course at that gym Bobby and Joe go/went to. He needs to bulk up a little and get more stamina. 

If he did that, there is a possibility as they have similar skill sets and styles of play. 

Will be one of the real acid tests for me in terms of LJ management skills as to whether he instructs him to do that. 

If he doesn’t, Pato will remain a light weight player who gives a 1 in 5 matches decent performance and fades as the season progresses. 

51 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Alas it's not the hook to some new crime drama starring the roster at BS3 but a possible scenario where the forum goes mental and we end up fine.

We sign Watkins, the forum goes mild. We sell Bobby Reid, the forum gets angry. We don't sign a striker in the summer and the forum boils over, exactly like last year. And then we put Bobby Reid up front. The fourth or fifth central midfielder? The lightweight non contributing guy who we were all willing to cut? LJ didn't think so and pulled off a master stroke. Well if he was so confident it would work he had signed Reid to an extension it would have been!

So, with the addition of Watkins it frees us Paterson who LJ clearly doesn't trust in a 4 as a winger. We might not sign that like for like replacement. The forum as a whole will go crazy over this and then we name our first few friendly team sheets with a "midfielder" up front.

Then Paterson who has similar attributes to Reid, scores perhaps 15+ in a striking role next season and we're fine.

If that's the scenario that plays out how crazy will you go? (Where's the money Lansdown!!?!!) Then how many goals will Paterson need to get in a striking position to make you eat your words... just like this time last year?

Reid works his socks off for the team, Paterson is lightweight and disappears when he is needed. No they are not alike.

1 hour ago, Vespa Red said:

I did wonder out loud the other day whether Paterson might fill the "No 10" role if we did sell Bobby Reid.  I'm not sure whether he'd have the same level of success though as he only seemed to turn up for half the season last term.

You wondered ‘out loud’? What did the other people at the bus stop make of that?

14 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Perhaps Pato is the surprise departure this summer with Watkins coming in?

I do like the bloke but he does seem to disappear when the going gets tough.

Exactly this - and his disappearances, much like our losing runs, last many games.

Most players have some dip in form for a couple of games but Patterson is a couple of months.

On his day he is good but we need cover for him and for LJ to take him out the side when the dip comes and not presume he will suddenly fire again - this is the sort of hoping rather than decisive acton that has coincided with the losing streaks.

I think Paterson could play - and succeed - in that number 10 role. There was a period last season when he was playing there and was perhaps our best player. However he is a very different player to Reid. I don't think he'd do anywhere near the pressing that Reid does and reckon we'd need to compensate for that elsewhere in the team and adjust our style for it to work.

That said, I don't necessarily think Watkins has been signed to replace Paterson so much as to give us a better opportunity to push Brownhill into the middle.

30 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

That said, I don't necessarily think Watkins has been signed to replace Paterson so much as to give us a better opportunity to push Brownhill into the middle.

Agree with this and that Paterson is better centrally as a 10.

I could see us playing one up top with a forward three behind in the form of something like:

Diedhiou

O’Dowda / Paterson / Watkins

Smith / Pack                   (Or Brownhill Or Walsh)

It becoming a 451 / 4411 at times with and without the ball.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I could see us playing one up top with a forward three behind in the form of something like:

Diedhiou

Walsh is nowhere near good enough yet. Looked utterly out of his depth for me. 

Just now, CyderInACan said:

Walsh is nowhere near good enough yet. Looked utterly out of his depth for me. 

A player can make a lot of progress over pre-season, building familiarity of the way the team play and his role.  

One to watch for me.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A player can make a lot of progress over pre-season, building familiarity of the way the team play and his role.  

One to watch for me.

Slotted in well and looked bright when he came on at the Etihad.

He certainly has some abilty, hopefully he can fulfill his potential.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One to watch for me.

I’d love to be proved wrong. Although we couldn’t get all our jan transfers wrong. 

Could we?

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Diedhiou

What if we sign Marriott(or similar)?

8 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

What if we sign Marriott(or similar)?

Good question.  Think you’d have to play him alongside Diedhiou, you’re not gonna have a £5.3m man or a whatever Marriott costs sat on the bench, nor you’d hope one of them playing in front three where one has to play thevwide forward (Thomas Mueller role).

I do wonder with all the Barry Fry stuff whether the Marriott ship has sailed?  Especially at the £6.5m mark banded around.  I get the current market, but I’m not sure I’d pay more than £4m.  If you can’t get him for that, he goes back into your “funnel” and you focus on someone else

But LJ / MA better work out quickly, because as you’ve said, if we do sign another starting striker, it’s gonna seriously affect the plans for how we are going to set up next season.

38 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Pato has suffered from illness , a virus by all accounts, that put him in hospital and being shunted around in the team.

He , at his best , is a fabulous player . We need him to have a full preseason and come back to give his best .

I think we have to accept he’ll always be inconsistent - the key being to make him have more good games and less anonymous ones.

Bobby Reid didn’t look the same wide left either. Pato was doing an admirable job on the left all season but he only played there because of Bobby Reid’s form. So no he would not be Reid’s level but he could do a good job there. Would be better to use him there rather than panic buy for big money. 

I know that we want to keep progressing but it will be tough losing out on Reid and Bryan. I’d rather consolidate a bit and make sure we recruit the right players. Example would be Forest. Didn’t go and splash last summer after Assombolonga was sold but worked on what they had and added to the squad when they could. It isn’t a like for like comparison but a decent example. 

Patterson imo would definitely do a job there, as well as Bobby would obviously be a big ask. Would be more of a creator of chances than a goal scorer imo. Also think people underestimate how hard a fit Patterson works. & that for me sums up his second half of the season performances. He was in hospital at one point I believe with some virus, during which he lost a fair amount of weight, which then coincided with his loss of form. Along with being moved to accommodate Famara back into the starting 11. A definite option imo. COYR 

Archived