IGNORED

Cristiano Ronaldo

reddogkev

2 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

Last night really swung it for me. On the big stage, again, he made the difference. Today, Messi didn't.

One played against a side who play open football, the other played against a side looking to leave absolutely no space in their defensive positions.

Look at how we fared against Derby in the home game next to how we did against Burton- quite clearly Burton aren't a better team than Derby.

3 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Are you joking what attitude he does loads for charity and hes a great footballer and Madonna was a cheat 

Not joking, CR is a great player and does loads for charity , fact, anyone who thinks different is fishing but he also cons refs with his play acting and attempts to get players sent off. Fact. Maradona was also a cheat but in my opinion, a better player.

I always disliked Ronaldo for his part in getting Rooney sent off at the world cup 2006 and the fact he was a man utd player. But putting things like that a side and you have to admit imo he's better than Messi. For starters he's done it in two different leagues plus he's helped his country win a major tournament. I'm pretty sure Argentina hasn't won the copa america for over 20 years. On top of that the Messi missed penalty cost me £245 on my football accumulator ha! ha! 

In my opinion, Ronaldo is in a league of his own now.  I think the 'best ever' debate is a tough one, given the variables, but this fella has phenomenal stats, trophies and has done it at every level.  All that attention, expectation and pressure and he delivers. That's class.

Whether CR has done it in 2 different countries or not makes zero difference, put yourself in Messi’s shoes why on earth would he leave Barca? One of, if not the biggest clubs in the world, he has nothing to prove to anyone, imo he’s the best player I’ve ever seen, probably the best ever, as for CR if he didn’t dive, roll around feign injuries and cheat so much then maybe he’d be in with a shout too but that side of his game is embarrassing, and the worst thing about it is there’s no need for him to do it.

6 hours ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Messi has a lot better players in his national team.

Which imo means he’ll never have the same impact in that team. Portugal’s attacks go through Ronaldo, they need him to win. Argies don’t need Messi, they had Dybala and Higuain on the bench today. Aguero, Di Maria etc. have more of an individual impact on the game than any of Portugal’s fellow strike partners/wingers again meaning Ronaldo has more opportunities to make an impact. 

From what I have seen of both Messi has more moments of magic in him, especially when being vacant in a game and that edges the vote 

Best players I've watched 'live'?  Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law and Georgie Best.  Admittedly I'm now an old tw4t and the game was quite different in that era.  BUT, when they got clogged, they got up, dusted themselves down and got on with it.  For any youngsters who would challenge my choices, don't forget that I served in  the Boer War and two big world wars so that you can have an (entirely incorrect) opinion of your own.    :me?:

27 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Best players I've watched 'live'?  Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law and Georgie Best.  Admittedly I'm now an old tw4t and the game was quite different in that era.  BUT, when they got clogged, they got up, dusted themselves down and got on with it.  For any youngsters who would challenge my choices, don't forget that I served in  the Boer War and two big world wars so that you can have an (entirely incorrect) opinion of your own.    :me?:

I salute the worlds oldest man, what do you put your longevity down to?

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Clutching at straws there mate just taking quotes without the full meaning,you don’t work for the sun by any chance 

Quoting you word for word and providing evidence that contradicts your claim is not clutching at straws.

Oh and an evidence-based assessment is not something I would associate with The Sun.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Quoting you word for word and providing evidence that contradicts your claim is not clutching at straws.

Oh and an evidence-based assessment is not something I would associate with The Sun.

You seem to forget that a lot of quality argies were also missing during those games not just messi but the stats don’t tell you that unless you do your research 

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You seem to forget Portugal are horse turd,Argentina even without messi are not a bad side and still probably better than England 

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You said Argentina even without Messi “are not a bad side”. 1 win in 7 suggests otherwise.

11 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Clutching at straws there mate just taking quotes without the full meaning,you don’t work for the sun by any chance 

I'm struggling to see what extra meaning was supposedly lost here.

The comparison to England bears no relevance to Ronaldo vs Messi either so removing that makes no effect.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm struggling to see what extra meaning was supposedly lost here.

The comparison to England bears no relevance to Ronaldo vs Messi either so removing that makes no effect.

You are correct of course it doesn’t  ,but chip is a stat man and they only lost one more game without messi and without other key players so the stats can be screwed in what ever way you want to look at them 

4 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I never said they are better without messi I said without messi they are still better than England.And I’m sure by the way

Not having that at all. Without Messi there isn’t a player in their starting 11 that would get into our, player for player. Aguero’s the only one that would get close, but IMO Kane is the better of the two. 

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Biglia gets in over Henderson or dier for a start

Not for me. All three are run of the mill average midfielders. Otamendi? Maybe. Di Maria is probably next most likely, but most comparable to Sterling, who is a better player.

10 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You seem to forget that a lot of quality argies were also missing during those games not just messi but the stats don’t tell you that unless you do your research 

Just been doing my research. Not that I doubted your in-depth knowledge of the South American qualifying campaign or anything.

Argentina played 18 games in qualifying.

Di Maria played 18/18

Mascherano played 15/18

Otamendi played 15/18

Biglia played 13/18

Messi played just 10 games, but top scored with 7 goals.

Quoting from https://the18.com/soccer-news/argentina-without-lionel-messi-record-and-statistics :-

“Without Messi, Argentina played eight matches in qualifying. They won one. They scored 0.75 goals per game. They lost to Ecuador, Paraguay and Bolivia. They drew with Venezuela. Tata Martino was sacked and so was his successor, Edgardo Bauza. 

With Messi, Argentina played ten matches and only lost one (to Brazil in Belo Horizonte). They beat Chile twice, Uruguay and trounced Colombia 3-0 in San Juan. In 10 games, Messi scored seven goals (including the all-important hat-trick against Ecuador to secure Argentina’s World Cup place). How important were Messi’s goals? For comparison’s sake, Argentina’s strike force of Gonzalo Higuain, Sergio Aguero, Mauro Icardi, Dario Benedetto, Lucas Pratto and Lucas Alario combined for three goals over the two-year cycle.”

The statistics are overwhelming.

3DFC8E8A-69DF-4A12-849C-DF45F8512011.png

54 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just been doing my research. Not that I doubted your in-depth knowledge of the South American qualifying campaign or anything.

Argentina played 18 games in qualifying.

Di Maria played 18/18

Mascherano played 15/18

Otamendi played 15/18

Biglia played 13/18

Messi played just 10 games, but top scored with 7 goals.

Quoting from https://the18.com/soccer-news/argentina-without-lionel-messi-record-and-statistics :-

“Without Messi, Argentina played eight matches in qualifying. They won one. They scored 0.75 goals per game. They lost to Ecuador, Paraguay and Bolivia. They drew with Venezuela. Tata Martino was sacked and so was his successor, Edgardo Bauza. 

With Messi, Argentina played ten matches and only lost one (to Brazil in Belo Horizonte). They beat Chile twice, Uruguay and trounced Colombia 3-0 in San Juan. In 10 games, Messi scored seven goals (including the all-important hat-trick against Ecuador to secure Argentina’s World Cup place). How important were Messi’s goals? For comparison’s sake, Argentina’s strike force of Gonzalo Higuain, Sergio Aguero, Mauro Icardi, Dario Benedetto, Lucas Pratto and Lucas Alario combined for three goals over the two-year cycle.”

The statistics are overwhelming.

3DFC8E8A-69DF-4A12-849C-DF45F8512011.png

Look how old that squad is. Argentina melt down in the next 3 years? 

Difference I see between Ron and Messi

Ronaldo has proved his ability in more than one country.

Messi has a team built around providing him the ability to shine.

For me it adds up to Ronaldo being the better player.  They both play in the same league which apart from 4 teams is not massively competitive . One has a team built around him. The other plays with a team of superstars.

Messi looks very good running at people and the benefit of a low centre of gravity which most of the top players had. Ronaldo has an around better game and has wonderful balance for a tall bloke 

If rating out of 10

Ronaldo 9

Messi 8.5

Archived