IGNORED

Cristiano Ronaldo

reddogkev

I've always got a lot of shit for this, but I've always said that Ronaldo is a better player than Messi, and this World Cup illustrates exactly why this is the case.

Ronaldo, at a time when his career should be winding down, is intelligent enough to lead away from the ball. He'll spend a long time just waiting and doing nothing, but when the opportunity is there he delivers every time. At Man Utd he was unplayable, and at Real Madrid he's broken numerous records. Portugal won't win a World Cup any time soon, and few people expect them to, but with Ronaldo they've surpassed expectations by being European champions, and there's not a player in their camp that would say a bad thing about him.

For all the quality Messi has, he's always been the glue that holds a team together, and if the rest of the team is fractured in some way he's ineffective. A country with the quality that Argentina has should have a World Cup trophy, and for years they've been self-destructive. Messi has "retired" once already, and despite being campaign all rumours point towards their players being in full mutiny against their coach - a man that isn't a nobody in football either. 

There's not much in it, but I'd say Ronaldo is better. The one thing I think we can all agree on, though, is that it's a real shame that we'll never see both players in their prime on the same team.

Given the choice,(Unlikely I know) I would prefer Ronaldo to don the colours of Bristol City. Messi has not shown himself to be anywhere near the same level at this world cup, and there is also the fact that I doubt he could handle a season of being clogged into orbit every match.

Just bumping this thread because:

Before the World Cup Ronaldo weighed 13.2 stone. Body fat was 7% (average for top players is 10-14%).

He showed a muscle mass of 51% (average for top players is 46%).

His body was equivalent to that of a 23 year old top level athlete.

• Admin
1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Before the World Cup Ronaldo weighed 13.2 stone. Body fat was 7% (average for top players is 10-14%).

Remember watching a programme on Sky sports and they said he was in that good a shape physically he could do basically any athletic sport as he was in top shape 

On 16/06/2018 at 13:17, reddogkev said:

Thought he is worthy of his own thread, not just for last night, but for everything he has achieved up to now.

51 professional hat-tricks.  Incredible.

Is he the best footballer to ever grace the game?  For me, he has reached that level.

i thought you were gonna say youve seen him filling his Bugatti Veyron up in Sainsburys on Winterstoke Rd then!!!!!!

On 16/06/2018 at 14:10, Maggersno1Fan said:

Ronaldo done it in 3 different countries & dragged his team to the Euro title 2 years ago 

he best player ever to grace the game

No doubt he played a big part, but I wouldn't call scoring against Hungary and Wales "dragging your team" to the Euros title.

Ronaldo has done it on the biggest stage at this tournament (so far) but before that neither he nor Messi had played anywhere near their best in a World Cup before.

Messi's shot/goals ratio is consistently better, he makes more chances and if I were a defender, I'd rather have Ronaldo running at me than Messi seven days a week.

Messi is better than Ronaldo, I have no doubt about that. His all-round game is better, and both his career goals-to-games and career assists are better. "But he hasn't done it in 3 countries!" Ronaldo scored 5 goals in 33 games as a teenager in Portugal. Not sure that really counts. And Messi would easily conquer the Premier League, he's just chosen not to.

20 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Yeah and 6 st of that's his neck. Likely he'll retire to the circus

Archived