IGNORED

England to be reffed by blunder official

9 hours ago, Isawjonshaw said:

can't be as bad as Gurnam Singh (For us of a certain age!!!).  Apologies if I've spelled his name incorrectly.

Norman Glover?

Dennis Hedges. The only man with a swearword as his middle name. Everyone used to say when they saw he was the ref `Oh no, it`s Dennis ******* Hedges`

Lester Shapter

Dreadful and toothless refereeing. Tunisia were allowed to do whatever they wanted to disrupt and slow that second half. It's beyond gamesmanship when you've conceded a foul with 5 minutes remaining and you refuse to drop back 10yds. Referee ran away when he should have been showing cards.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You dont know that.

1) It's not on the OS :clapping:

2) The VAR official may have said to have another look at the wrestling with the ref choosing not to.

This is my problem with the system. There should be an official who can make decisions looking at the footage, then surely the Pens would have been given. Also would stop the painfully slow process of the Ref trundling over to the tv screen to watch what he’s missed. What is the point of VAR if you can still get away with Rugby tackles at corners.

15 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You dont know that.

1) It's not on the OS

2) The VAR official may have said to have another look at the wrestling with the ref choosing not to.

This is my problem with the system. There should be an official who can make decisions looking at the footage, then surely the Pens would have been given. Also would stop the painfully slow process of the Ref trundling over to the tv screen to watch what he’s missed. What is the point of VAR if you can still get away with Rugby tackles at corners.

FIFA has long resisted the introduction of technology.

Perhaps they have set up VAR the way they have so that it will generate issue such as this evening so they can then justify it being cancelled in future.

21 minutes ago, Laner said:

It's still the ref in charge of the game. No VAR excuses for missing some poor decisions.

Referees watch the flight of the ball at a set play so frequently miss off the ball incidents as we saw tonight.

Surely one of the reasons VAR was introduced was to highlight the incidents that the ref missed?

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

FIFA has long resisted the introduction of technology.

Perhaps they have set up VAR the way they have so that it will generate issue such as this evening so they can then justify it being cancelled in future.

This I have no problem with.

But a 'rigged' (for lack of a better word) test run I do have a problem with.

Like it or not, and I am a firm "or not" here, a fair test run should be tried.

Also, are you suggesting FIFA arent a totally squeaky clean and trustworthy group? 

I never thought I'd see someone saying that!

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Referees watch the flight of the ball at a set play so frequently miss off the ball incidents as we saw tonight.

Surely one of the reasons VAR was introduced was to highlight the incidents that the ref missed?

...or not!!!

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The ref said that if he didn't see the offence on the OS he couldn't give it. :)

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Point being that the definition of what "clear and obvious" mistakes are themselves unclear.

The only thing not clear is how the ref and the VAR officials missed the absolutely clear fouls against Harry Kane that were penalty decisions.

There is obviously a bit of a fudge over the way VAR is applied to protect refs and the VAR officials from criticism. I would have thought the Kane fouls are the very best examples you could have of a "clear and obvious " mistake i.e. missed by the referee, so cannot for the life f me see why the VAR officials did not draw the refs attention she could review. Had the ref had chance to review, he would have had award penalties and perhaps therein lies the issue! :grr:

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

The only thing not clear is how the ref and the VAR officials missed the absolutely clear fouls against Harry Kane that were penalty decisions.

There is obviously a bit of a fudge over the way VAR is applied to protect refs and the VAR officials from criticism. I would have thought the Kane fouls are the very best examples you could have of a "clear and obvious " mistake i.e. missed by the referee, so cannot for the life f me see why the VAR officials did not draw the refs attention she could review. Had the ref had chance to review, he would have had award penalties and perhaps therein lies the issue! :grr:

would be interesting to know if var brought it up and ref ignored them if so he should be sent home.

Just now, reddoh said:

would be interesting to know if var brought it up and ref ignored them if so he should be sent home.

.... as worrying if it was not raised by the VAR officials. I can understand the ref possibly missing the incidents but a panel of 3 with video replay capability?????????

Archived